BCD396XT/BCD996XT: Antenna location question

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSPILOT536

Premium Subscriber
I have a Tram 1411 discone antenna,now,I'm trying to keep it stealth so the neighborhood natives do not get upset.
Would it get better reception mounting 6ft off the ground outside or 12 ft high in the attic?
Let me add,my home is modern,plain wood roof with typical shingles,no duct work or wiring,just blown insulation and the need to receive 800 MHz digital.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Depends on what your roof is made out of and whats up in the attic. If you roof has any sort of metal, vapor shield,etc it will reduce the performance of your antenna.
6 feet high outdoors might be an issue as the structures around you can block the signals. metallic vapor barriers in insulation, plaster/stucco walls with metal lath, aluminum siding, etc. can all be problematic.

The -real- way to find out for sure is to take your radio and antenna into the attic and give it a try. Take it outside and repeat the test. Only you can know for sure which one is going to work better.

All things being equal, though, altitude is king. Getting the antenna up higher will increase your radio "horizon".

W6KRU

I have a Tram 1411 discone antenna,now,I'm trying to keep it stealth so the neighborhood natives do not get upset.
Would it get better reception mounting 6ft off the ground outside or 12 ft high in the attic?

What is your primary frequency of interest?

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Carting the entire discone antenna / radio and cables into the attic.... and then outdoors... can be quite cumbersome. This is where a handheld scanner shines. Take the handheld scanner into the attic and make note of the signal strength / clarity on several of your most listened-to agencies. Then take the same handheld to the spot outdoors where you are considering for the discone. You'll be able to immediately compare the two locations. If the handheld does better in the attic, so will the discone.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
As previously stated; depends what type

of materials are present in the building structure. Try it in the attic and then outside, then you can make a better call as to which is best. I know you said there's no metal, etc., but as mmckenna stated, check a little deeper. I would guess the attic would be best for your 800Mhz reception if no metals are found.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I've got three antennas in the attic over my garage feeding the garage scanners. There are no reception issues with them.

Additionally I have another antenna mounted to the roof on the opposite side of the house feeding my office scanner. Cable runs are comparable. I don't notice much of a difference between the two locations.

However at one point I had a scanner antenna more or less just outside a window. The reception from that was noticeably poorer than the taller antennas.

Unless you are in some type of deed-restricted community prohibiting outside antennas (check your home's deed), there may not be any recourse your neighbors have if you roof mount an antenna. After all, at one point in time, outside television antennas were very common and Dish TV antennas still are.

KSPILOT536

Premium Subscriber
Well,I took the Discone to the attic and its about 3ft too tall to mount,if I take the 4ft stinger off will that effect 800mhz receive?

Voyager

Well,I took the Discone to the attic and its about 3ft too tall to mount,if I take the 4ft stinger off will that effect 800mhz receive?

It shouldn't. That was added for low-end improvement (low frequency).

Status
Not open for further replies.