THINKING about joining

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireguyastro

Premium Subscriber
Whats your question ? do you want to become a ham? I took the test 2 years ago passed my technician class and looking to upgrade , you can contact me @ kb3yqi@gmail.com if there is anything i can help you with , but it is initially a 35 question test and 70% needed to pass the test for the tech license

mainetrunk

Boy, these video's are great for the complete beginner. I actually learned the repeater stuff from an E.M.T long ago. But then, this video --wipes my train of 10-4, 10-8, and 10-79, police codes I've been hearing everyday for 8 years, into a new ling describing the 10 codes above..--- ( actually, 10-79 is NH, done last assignment).
Well, just wanna say thanks again fireguy, this does look like a great new hobby! I got this guy teaching me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIo1F4YYhjc
Count how many times he clears his throat, time to quit smoking--lol/ HI-HI

majoco

Stirrer
I'm sorry, they don't give licences away with cornflakes. You have to work, read, understand - it's called study. Ham radio is a technical subject, although it has been dumbed down in the last few years. Not so long ago there was no Technician grade - you had to learn morse code at 12wpm. Think yourself lucky that it's so easy now. There was no internet, you had to join a local radio club and learn from an "Elmer". It is a privilege to own and work worldwide with your own radio station, don't forget that when you work an overseas operator you are an ambassador for your country.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Not so long ago there was no Technician grade - you had to learn morse code at 12wpm.
In the U.S., the Technician class has been part of amateur radio since 1951. That's a long time ago in the perspective of most folks. The code requirement for Technician was never more than 5 WPM and was dropped to no code requirement in 1991. Originally, the Technician and General written test were the same and the difference was the code requirement, 5 for Technician and 13 for General.

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
Why did this turn into a pissing contest. All I ask for was some advice!! Alotta people chimed in with advice and then I SAID I WAS GONNA READ AND STUDY and now its complete bs. Relax people!!! Stay safe

K7MEM

Not so long ago there was no Technician grade - you had to learn morse code at 12wpm.

In the U.S., the Technician class has been part of amateur radio since 1951. That's a long time ago in the perspective of most folks. The code requirement for Technician was never more than 5 WPM and was dropped to no code requirement in 1991. Originally, the Technician and General written test were the same and the difference was the code requirement, 5 for Technician and 13 for General.

I guess you didn't notice that the poster signed with a ZL2 call sign, where it was 12 WPM.

Why did this turn into a pissing contest. All I ask for was some advice!! Alotta people chimed in with advice and then I SAID I WAS GONNA READ AND STUDY and now its complete bs. Relax people!!! Stay safe

You should take you own advice and relax. These threads can take many different turns and the advice is not always directed at you.

Another good place to study and take tests are on QRZ.com, under Resources. They have study guides and sample tests. They can track your test so you can see how you are progressing. Once you are getting 90% or better on the tests, you will probably have no problem with the real test(s). I used QRZ when I was upgrading to Extra but there were more tests then.

Martin - K7MEM

mainetrunk

Easy Jason. They are expressing their thought, we are new guys. Don't stress it! They are helping, their way. This radio stuff is VERY inportant! Don't say -pissing contest- to our allies, please...
Good folks, I realize radio manners, thanks, and would do --nothing-- to offend anyone in person, or on the air..I wanna be an ELMER by 2020. After taking 4 practice tests, and making MANY notes, I heard some talk last night, and 1 rule that stuck to me is when to announce your callsign. I just gotta study, in a snowstorm yet..O.K guy's I thank you, and be patient with my friend? He loves radio too..
Thank you,
Mr. Study

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
I just hate seeing arguing and stuff that's all im saying. Im not peeing in anyones Cheerios. I just like good conversation and laughs thats all

mainetrunk

1 more question

I recently acquired a FURUNO SSB TRANSCEIVER FS-1502--only, no power, or mic, or antenna. What type of license vwould it take to talk to my fruends offshore?

WB4CS

I recently acquired a FURUNO SSB TRANSCEIVER FS-1502--only, no power, or mic, or antenna. What type of license vwould it take to talk to my fruends offshore?

That's a marine HF radio, not typically used for Amateur Radio. It's really designed to be used on marine vessels. I'm not sure of the rules/license needed for Marine Radio but I'm sure someone can step in and let you know. I suppose it's possible to use it on the Amateur Bands.

Pertaining to Amateur Radio: For HF (voice) privileges you have a few choices. The Technician Class license allows you the use of the 10 Meter HF band between 28.300 MHz to 28.500 MHz. Tech class also has CW (Morse Code) privileges on a few other HF bands, but no voice. With a General Class license you gain voice privileges on all HF bands, just limited amount of bandwidth. With the Extra Class license you gain the full amount of bandwidth on all HF Amateur Bands.

Status
Not open for further replies.