Confused Newby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paws4

Hi. I signed on to try to get help. This is my second scanner that I cant get to work. My first one had trunking and it was so far over my head so now I ordered a Whistler Analog Desktop scanner. Here's my question, how do I get the frequencies if my city is not on the list? The closest city is 35 miles away.
Thank you for any help you can give me.

DickH

Confused newby
Don't feel bad. Most of us are confused by something. :) I'm confused because I have no idea where you are and which system you want to hear and which model number scanner you have.

Paws4

Hi Dick.
It is a WS1025 model. Sorry, I didnt know you would need that to know about the city's numbers. I am in a little city outside of Charleston WV. The frequencies are only given for Charleston, not my little city. I know a scanner 'should' work here because a neighbor had one that use to talk all the time. Problem is the neighbor has passed away years ago and I cant ask her.
Thanks again.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Are you trying to hear Kanawha Co agencies? If so, the RR Database shows most of those agencies are on the WVSIRN P25 network. You'll need a digital scanner that is P25 Phase I capable. The WS1025 as you noted is an analog scanner, and will not receive digital transmissions. You are going to need a digital scanner such as the Whistler WS1065. WS1080, or forthcoming WS1095 (2015). You may also get some more help if this question is moved to the West Virginia Forum.

Paws4

Oh my gosh, so I got the wrong kind of scanner? I need a digital scanner? UGH!!!
Thank you so much Pop!
We have sirens going past us all the time and I want to know what's going on. There will be a wreck right by the house but nothing in the news, ever! I want to know what goes on outside my door. I guess this needs to get sent back, and I need to find a digital one.

Paws4

Thanks, rapid. I just tried and it said my search yielded no results. Still nothing will work if it's that I need digital. :-(

Paws4

Thanks cjrjr! I think those are Charleston's though arent they? Too far away to help me?

dmg1969

Paws4, when asking for help, the most important information members need is:

1. Where you live (City and State...County is helpful). We don't need (or want) your actual street address.

2. The "systems" you want to hear. A system is police, sheriff, fire, EMS, etc. for a given city or county.

3. The type of scanner you have.

When it comes to looking for frequencies, the easiest way is to go here.

RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference Database

Click on your state and then your county. Now look for the information that you want to hear. A hint...the trunked radio systems are always down toward the bottom of the page.

Once members have this information, they can help you with any questions you might have.

Paws4

Ok, I didnt know. From old school where you dont advertise where you live on the Internet you know. I thought location would be best in private message. But ok, thank you all for your help you all have taught me a lot already.

dmg1969

Ok, I didnt know. From old school where you dont advertise where you live on the Internet you know. I thought location would be best in private message. But ok, thank you all for your help you all have taught me a lot already.

I understand, but giving your city and state doesn't jeopardize you in any way and is the only way for members to help. As far as PM'ing that type of information...that kind of defeats the purpose of a public forum meant to help members.

Paws4

Yes, Sit, I got it now. I didnt know but you all taught me. Thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.