• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Vertex FIF-8 Firmware Writer

Status
Not open for further replies.

g8tzl2004

Has anybody ever used a FIF-8 firmware writer?

Any idea why you need it rather than a standard programming cable?

Is it just a "3 wire" level converter ie. uses TXD, RXD and GND rather than just using Vertex's "2 wire" CLONE and GND?

mancow

Database Admin
I have used one but it has been over a year. I used it to narrow band some VX4000V mobiles. I opened it up and got some pictures. It does appear to be a level converter but there is more to it, more connections. I had to make a certain cable for the mobiles using a diagram I found on the web somewhere. The whole process was strange and involved powering up the radios in a certain button pressing sequence.

g8tzl2004

Thanks mancow.

I need to use an FIF-8 to align my VX4000 rather than actually write new firmware. I'm not sure why I need the FIF-8 to just align the VX4000 using the rear DB25 accessory socket when other Vertex radios use the programming cable to both program and align...and only use the FIF-8 to flash new firmware?

Do you have the pin outs for the cable you made - I presume this was from the FIF-8 to the DB25 on the back of the VX4000?

Thanks

mancow

Database Admin
It's all at work. I will dig into it and try to get you a diagram and some instructions. I remember I made my own cable using a DIN cable off a keyboard if I recall correctly. I believe there were only three wires needed, ground, TX and RX. IT was pretty simple. Oh and yes the cable went from the FIF-8 to the DB-25.

I too was surprised to find out you needed that box just to do an alignment.

Do you have the software? It seems like there was a special stand alone alignment version that had all the slider pots to adjust the levels. I think it's called SVC49. Vertex sent it to me free when I called and they walked me through the process. I can send it to you if you need it.

I made some notes on the process and hopefully I can find them.

Last edited:

g8tzl2004

Thanks very much mancow

I would be interested in what version of SVC49 you used.

I have a version for the VX4000 but I'm not sure whether its installed correctly - maybe it only works on Win 2000 or ME as its dated 2002 so XP had only just come out.

The latest version of SVC49 (v2) is only for the VX5500 and VX6000 and NOT the VX4000. This version installed OK and I could view all the sliders and frequencies for RX Tune etc.

The older version for the VX4000 did NOT install correctly on XP - the screen layout had chopped off the bottom of the F2 , F3 and F4 "boxes" at the bottom of the screen (not sure why) and NO sliders were displayed - just a blank "RX Tune" page It may be that you need to read the VX4000 before you see the sliders but I could see the sliders on the v2 version for the VX5500 and VX6000 without having to read a radio.

If you could kindly send me a copy of SVC49 then at least I know its a version which worked for you.

Thanks again.

fchinbaad

guys,
I'm very urgently need Vertex VX-6000's service programming software SVC-49 and please advice me how can i get find. I tried to contact with Asian dealer, but they don't have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.