"Easier To Read" Manual

Status
Not open for further replies.

N7CAS

Just curious since there wouldn't be a market for a better manual for its products if Uniden had vetted that monstrosity before its release. Along comes affiliate ScannerMaster adding insult to injury (I guess) with a "better to read" manual regarding a very good scanner. that should have come with one in the first place. My question: Does anyone have it, this "better" manual? Is it better? What was meant by "better to read?" Larger type? Or just better organized?

N7CAS

Excellent referral, DDan! It is: the "easier to read" manual is better edited, better written and easier to understand. I realize that the semantics might make little nit-picky difference to some folks, but part of my career was in semantics: what do words mean!

Still if only Uniden reviewed their Owner's Manual. That thing is a slight to a really great product, just like most other manuals for other radios. It think it's a club or somethin'.

Thanks again for pointing me (and hopefully others) to some great, quick information!

KB6KGX

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I found the “Mark’s Easier To Read” manual to be not so much easier to read. But that’s because I’m new to these newfangled digital scanners.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
I found the “Mark’s Easier To Read” manual to be not so much easier to read. But that’s because I’m new to these newfangled digital scanners.

Yes, even the "Easier to Read" manuals can be daunting if you don't have some experience. Some of these pages may help give you some background so the Easier to Read stuff will make more sense:

Trunked Radio Systems - The RadioReference Wiki

Programming Your Uniden Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

Uniden DMA FAQ - The RadioReference Wiki

Common Trunking Programming Questions - The RadioReference Wiki

Common Conventional Programming Questions - The RadioReference Wiki

Uniden BCDx36HP Quick Keys and Number Tags - The RadioReference Wiki

http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-forums/283228-faq-info_____-read-1st.html

Voyager

There will always be people who don't know the basics. So there will always be a "need" for "better manuals" that explain those basics.

I've read comments that both manuals are fine, both stink, and one is better than the other (and which one changes with each person). All these have one thing in common - different knowledge levels of the readers.

The OM should not have to explain scanner basics. I've usually likened this to the fact your car's OM does not teach you how to drive. It's the same with scanners. If you don't know what a frequency is, directions on how to enter it likely will seem poorly written to you.

KB6KGX

Banned

Thanks. I’m no newbie to scanners, but the 536 IS my first foray into a trunking type and the “this-is-not-your-father’s-scanner” mode of programming.

KB6KGX

Banned
There will always be people who don't know the basics. So there will always be a "need" for "better manuals" that explain those basics.

I've read comments that both manuals are fine, both stink, and one is better than the other (and which one changes with each person). All these have one thing in common - different knowledge levels of the readers.

The OM should not have to explain scanner basics. I've usually likened this to the fact your car's OM does not teach you how to drive. It's the same with scanners. If you don't know what a frequency is, directions on how to enter it likely will seem poorly written to you.

As I stated in my reply to the other post, I am no newbie to scanners. I’ve had scanners since the late 70s, from a 4-channel handheld crystal scanner up to programmables. However, I’ve never had a trunking scanner. I’m used to program channel 1, then program channel 2, and so on. I know it’s not that way now.

I’m good with most of the functions and features of the 536, but am still not sure how to set up and use Quick Keys and Number Tags. The links provided above will be helpful.

Voyager

My comments were not directed toward you specifically.

But, Quick Keys are used to quickly enable and disable items such as FLs, Systems, Departments, or Sites (for trunked systems).

You can assign any Quick Key you want to these 00-99 but you must have any superior QKs enabled for the lower ones to work. For example, you must have the FL QK enabled for any System QKs in that FL to work.

If you have your FLs set up, just assign FL QK 1 to one of the lists. You will then be able to enable/disable it by pressing that number on the keypad and the ENTER button while scanning. Start with only the FL QKs then once you know those move on to the System QKs.

KB6KGX

Banned
My comments were not directed toward you specifically.

Start with only the FL QKs then once you know those move on to the System QKs.

I did not feel that you were directing that at me. But I find the “Easier-to-Read” manual not much better than the Uniden version. Much of what I’ve learned I’ve learned by trial-and-error or by asking around.

I’ve already got 49 FLs entered (“0” to “48”), so, I’m at least doing that part right! :)

kc2kth

Many of us I'm certain recall that in the Police Call guides of the past the first section was dedicated to some background on how radio systems worked. This gave the reader an introduction that helped with understanding how to use their scanner, and it was vendor agnostic since Police Call was a frequency guide and not tied to a specific model radio. Obviously the guides stopped being published well before today's common, and more complex, modes were in use. Something similar in the "easier to read" manuals might provide a similar jump start to readers. Finding this info elsewhere is certainly possible but pulling it into the easier to read manuals seems like a logical place for new readers to look.

Ensnared

Confusing Design

Just curious since there wouldn't be a market for a better manual for its products if Uniden had vetted that monstrosity before its release. Along comes affiliate ScannerMaster adding insult to injury (I guess) with a "better to read" manual regarding a very good scanner. that should have come with one in the first place. My question: Does anyone have it, this "better" manual? Is it better? What was meant by "better to read?" Larger type? Or just better organized?

These so-called easier to read manuals remind me of various plays on words. When I used to interview Texas convicts for mental health assessments, some would say, "Now, I'm not going to sit here and lie to you." Guess what followed?

Easier to read? No, I strongly disagree. Often, there are references to things that are never fully explained. In my opinion, the 436HP owner's manual is far more user-friendly than the "easier to read" version. I will even go so far to say that this also applies to my PSR 500, "easier to read" manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.