Status
Not open for further replies.

yaesumofo

How do you feel about buying a radio with advertised features not yet delivered?

Hey UPMAN:
How do you feel about charging end users good money for premium features on radios that do not have well advertised premium features?
Heck I'd happily pay a little more for a few features which are actually working than paying for features which are supposed to be there but are not.
All that said I have been thinking of making the same switch the OP has made. Then I think I should wait for an advertised feature without a release date.

The reality is that publically advertising a feature (major feature) and not delivering it amounts to false advertising.

It is actually about not wanting to charge every user $50 more for features they might never use, but that we have to pay royalties on when activated.

The upgrade adds no feature that makes the scanner itself work any better or any worse. It just adds new capabilities that advanced users find useful and interesting.

Maybe uniden should give everybody who purchased the 536 and 536 in good faith, a $100 rebate for features not delivered. when the features are ready those of us who want them can pay a $50.00 "upgrade" fee.
This is about the most fair way of truly resolving this issue short of a class action. (I told my lawyer buddy about this and the dollar signs appeared over his eyes just like on a cartoon. Just kidding. BUT he felt that UNIDEN really has not delivered within reasonable the features promised. A Class action would cost UNIDEN a FORTUNE and would hurt the hobby. BUT Uniden has done little if anything to make any effort to deliver these missing promised features

How do I feel?
I feel abandoned, left out, ignored, and ripped off by a company that apparently does not give enough of a damn to even officially communicate with its customers regarding this issue. this is NOT OK.
How do you feel?

Yaesumofo

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Well, to be fair, the words "class action" are usually all you need to say to get a lawyer's eyes to light up. The reason being is that when thousands of people sue all at once, all those thousands of people get a tiny little settlement (usually) while the lawyers collect a fat payday (30% or so of the total award, I'm told). So your $100 settlement per customer would probably really turn out to be $70 or so, while $30 x thousands of customers = fat money for the lawyer. And I agree, it would hurt the hobby far more than it's worth IMHO.

I file it under "It is what it is". If not having the missing features is a showstopper for you, you can still get close to full price for your scanner on ebay or craigslist. If it's not a showstopper, than what's the harm in waiting? My scanner still works just fine. The Analyze feature sounds neat, but other than just to satisfy my curiosity, I doubt I'll use it much. I paid the money I paid for a scanner that does Phase 2 digital because that's what I needed it for, and it does that just fine - perhaps not perfectly, but good enough. After all, the "real" radios the agencies are using cost 5 times as much. For 20% of the cost of a Moto radio, I'll put up with a few hiccups and burbles.

I know, I know.... it's the principle of the thing. I get that. But really is it worth filing a class action lawsuit? If you want all development on this stuff to screech to a grinding halt, that would probably do it and then where would we be? Waiting even longer, that's where.

Again... it is what it is... and it's part of the reason why I've decided my next "scanner" won't be a scanner at all, but rather a computer with a radio attached. Then *I* control the features and options, not the manufacturer.

-AZ

Hulca

The 536/436 is Uniden's FLAGSHIP SCANNER!
Why should we expect that we get what we paid for?
Hmmmmmmmmmmm.............. How do I feel?

NOT VERY GOOD.

SCPD

QRT
It is what it is ? Stop kissing his butt, those who purchased these FLAGSHIP SCANNERS got SCREWED, plain and simple.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
This topic has been discussed (in different variants) on many threads. I am also upset about the missing features on the x36HP and believe a rebate, then if you want to purchase later, approach would be best. Also strongly agree that a formal lawsuit would do more harm to the hobby than it is worth.
I use the "analyze" features all the time on my HP-1 and new HP-2. In fact, I an now using the HP-2 in combo with my 436HP out in the field. Find the best spot for some difficult to receive trunking CCs, monitor the analyze with HP-2, listen with 436HP. The analyze really helps with the multiple trunking systems and sites we have in the Los Angeles area.
I've mentioned that I have a daughter in Phoenix. When we go out there in December for a week, I will have the HP-2 and 436HP. Have used the HP-1/436HP to find good spots for CCs for ASU, Maricopa County, RWC, and TOPAZ on several occasions when been out there. I think Phoenix is an ideal place for using the analyze feature.
Would certainly like to see it on the 436/536HP someday.

Steve AA6IO

WILSON43

Premium Subscriber
I feel great every time I go to the settings on my 536 and 436 , scroll to Analyze and get the message Not Available. Even though the same feature is available immediately on the HP-2 for an extra 50 bucks, of course. An extra 50 bucks on top of an already WAY overpriced scanner.

Conversely I also feel great about the fact that I bought my 436 and 536 from Amazon at discounted prices and then received an additional 20% refund back on both units due to Uniden's false advertising.

Siren app notwithstanding, where are the firmware updates? Where is the Analyze feature? How anyone could continue carrying the water for Uniden is beyond me.

WILSON43

Premium Subscriber
I posted this elsewhere on these boards publicly once.
Becoming redundant regarding anything anti Uniden, in my case anyway, may be cause for me to be thrown off of RR.

I will be happy to discuss it with you. Contact me privately.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
I'd like to have some of the extra features that were advertised, but that have not been delivered, but I feel even more angry because the BCD436D and BCD536D basic functions do not work. For me, simulcast/multipath problems are why I would be interested in a class action law suit, a goodwill rebate or something. If the basic scanner reception worked, I would have already bought 4 or 5 more of them, but I learned my lesson on these. IF I ever try a Uniden scanner again, I'll be sure to make sure it really works well within the return period, and I won't hesitate to return it, if it doesn't work.
Former Uniden Fan

mrkelso

The 536/436 is Uniden's FLAGSHIP SCANNER!
Why should we expect that we get what we paid for?
Hmmmmmmmmmmm.............. How do I feel?

NOT VERY GOOD.

Did you sign on to the Class action?

Pm me if you need the link.

rwier

" .... I think Phoenix is an ideal place for using the analyze feature ... " Steve AA6IO

Well, I've never lived anywhere else, but the analyze feature changed my entire scanning experience for the good. My (scanner related) enjoyment of life returned to pre-digital/trunk levels.

forums manager

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
We have enough of these threads. Please contribute to one of the existing ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.