Problem with MARCS in Ashtabula County

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Hi all, I am running a Bearcat BC296D and am having a problem setting up the scanner or the local MARCS system. (Ashtabula County, Cherry Valley, Site #$055) - -frequencies from here: Cherry Valley Site Details (Ohio MARCS - Multi-Agency Radio Communications)

I had all of this working before, but just haven't used the scanner in a while. It turned out our frequencies changed, so I changed them in the scanner using ARC250 Pro software. It does not seem to work as before, the radio just stops on the control channel and all is silent, even though I can see talkgroup numbers on display, and have selected ID search.

If I go to manual mode, I can listen to the channels one at a time and hear audio clearly on the non-control channel frequencies. The CC frequency sounds like a typical buzzing control channel. I have the system set for trunking, but must be missing something.

Attachments

• MARCS1.jpg
    MARCS1.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 915
  • MARCS2.jpg
    MARCS2.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 666
  • MARCS3.jpg
    MARCS3.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 736

Nasby

Definitely sounds like a rebanding problem.

I'm not too familiar with the BC296D but if its anything like the PRO-96, you will need to set a custom rebanding table.

SCPD

QRT
I have updated the firmware, but still the same. I'm not sure how to set it up. I know there are 3 frequencies and they have 325 KC spacing. I am really behind on the rebanding , trying to read up on it now. I haven't a clue what to enter and how to get a table into my scanner. I have been looking at these instructions from the firmware page, but they don't seem very useful.

Nasby

Tom
Not trying to be a stick in the mud, but I wouldn't waste too much time trying to figure it out.

In a few short months (maybe even sooner in your area), MARCS will be switching over to a 700 Mhz IP system which your scanner won't cover.

The 800mhz frequencies will all be defunct. If you want to continue listening to MARCS (which is pretty much what the majority of Ashtabula Co. law enforcement uses) you will need a new scanner.

budevans

Uniden rebanding info

Here is the info for setting up a custom rebanding table.

BC296DFirmwareUpdate < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

Entering a Rebanding Table

To set a bank as a rebanded system, set the bank to MOT Type I or Type II Custom (TYPE1 CUSTOM or TYPE2 CUSTOM). Then, apply the rebanding table as follows:

For standard rebanded systems, you need to set Band Plan 1 and Band Plan 2 as:

Band Plan Base Freq (Lower) Base Freq (Upper) Offset Polarity Spacing
1 851.0250MHz 854.0000MHz 440 + 25 kHz
2 851.0125MHz 868.9875MHz 0 + 25 kHz

1. Select the Trunking Programming mode and the bank you want to change.
2. Choose Motorola Type 2 Custom (TYPE2 CUSTOM) or Type 1 Custom (TYPE1 CUSTOM) and press [E]. &#9702; For a Type 2 system, choose "SELECT BASE CONF" then press [E].
&#9702; For a Type 1 system, choose "EDIT BASE CONF" then press [E].

3. The scanner displays "SELECT BASE CONF". Choose the Configuration Block Number (1 to 6), and press [E].
4. Use [0]- [9] to enter a new Base (Lower) Frequency, then press [E]. The Upper Frequency is displayed.
5. Use [0]- [9] to enter a new Upper Frequency, then press [E]. The Spacing Frequency is displayed.
6. Use [0]- [9] to enter a new Spacing Frequency, then press [E].
Note: You can only enter within a range of 5 - 100 kHz, and 5 or 12.5kHz multiples.
7. Use [0]- [9] to enter a new Offset Channel, then press [E]. The display changes for selecting the Polarity (PLUS).
Note: If a Base Frequency hasn't been set yet, the setting of Offset will not be accepted.
8. Choose the Polarity (PLUS or MINUS).
9. Press [E] to store the Polarity. The next configuration number is shown.
10. Select the next Configuration Block Number (1 to 6), and press [E]. Then, repeat from step 4.

budevans

ARC250 version?

TomJD,

You post says you upgraded your scanners firmware. Did you also upgrade the ARC250 software?

I saw some posts from 2012 where ARC250 users were looking for rebanding information. Blutel responded stating that the users needed to upgrade ARC250 to version 1.2 (again this was in 2012) which has rebanding support.

Version 1.2 "The custom tables are already preprogrammed in ARC250 , you only need to select Type 2 Custom."

The post also mentioned that upgrades are free.

Hope this helps.

T-Santon

Tom
Not trying to be a stick in the mud, but I wouldn't waste too much time trying to figure it out.

In a few short months (maybe even sooner in your area), MARCS will be switching over to a 700 Mhz IP system which your scanner won't cover.

The 800mhz frequencies will all be defunct. If you want to continue listening to MARCS (which is pretty much what the majority of Ashtabula Co. law enforcement uses) you will need a new scanner.

However, IF he is able to receive the Geauga County Simulcast of the new MARCS P25 system (which remains in the 800mhz band), his scanner should still be able to receive those agencies when they do make the switch.

Now, that will completely depend on exactly where he is located. Since Geauga County is considerably higher in elevation than Ashtabula County, simulcast distortion becomes a big problem for much of Ashtabula Co. There's a possibility that he will need a directional antenna, placed in the perfect spot, in order to receive it well. I personally use a Wilson 800mhz Yagi to solve this issue for me, and it works great (I'm near Rock Creek).

If he is able to accomplish this, it could buy him some time before he has to get a new scanner (and that day will come whenever the TDMA radios start taking over the system...which I'm guessing is still several more years away).

Last edited:

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
The MARCS-IP P25 system is not exactly a 700 MHz system. The "band" is actually 760-860 MHz. (not 700 or 800).

The current MARCS 800 MHz. frequencies will be absorbed into the MARCS-IP system once the old system is decommissioned. There are currently many 800 MHz. frequencies in use now which were absorbed from older 800 systems that switched to P25.

Last edited:

W8VFD

Feed Provider
On a different note, it sure will be nice once the Cherry Valley IP site comes online, trying to listren to ODOT and such is kind of rough here in Andover without it being online.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
On a different note, it sure will be nice once the Cherry Valley IP site comes online, trying to listren to ODOT and such is kind of rough here in Andover without it being online.

I listened to ODOT on MARCS-IP for the first time during our ice event last Saturday. They all sound like a bunch of truckers on CB though.

T-Santon

Sorry to hear that. I'm lucky enough to be in a spot where I can get the Geauga Simulcast, Warren, Ashtabula, Geneva, Lake Co. Simulcast, and Salem. Those last two weren't easy. A Pre-amp and yagi are needed for those.

But once CV comes online, you won't be disappointed. Having ODOT on the new system is great! One million times better than trying to hear them on low-band.

jim202

The MARCS-IP P25 system is not exactly a 700 MHz system. The "band" is actually 760-860 MHz. (not 700 or 800).

The current MARCS 800 MHz. frequencies will be absorbed into the MARCS-IP system once the old system is decommissioned. There are currently many 800 MHz. frequencies in use now which were absorbed from older 800 systems that switched to P25.

Can you elaborate on just what you mean by your statements?

How does switching to a P25 effect their 800 frequencies they were using? Thought I understood just where trunking systems operated. Now you are telling the group here there is a difference on where an IP trunked system operates. Not sure I follow what your saying.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Can you elaborate on just what you mean by your statements?

How does switching to a P25 effect their 800 frequencies they were using? Thought I understood just where trunking systems operated. Now you are telling the group here there is a difference on where an IP trunked system operates. Not sure I follow what your saying.

First off this Ohio Forum discussion pertains to the two Ohio statewide systems, being used in "Ohio" only. Things down there in The Big Easy may be different.

Ohio created a new P25 IP system using only 700 frequencies, which is replacing their old Motorola Type 2 800 MHz. system.

Do to the immense size of these 2 systems as agencies move from the old Motorola Type 2, 800 MHz. system to the new P25 system the old 800 frequencies will be used on the new P25 system once the old system is unplugged in March. (There are only so many frequencies to go around).

Some agencies who had their own 800 systems joined the MARCS-IP system and their 800 frequencies were therefore allocated to the new system. (Greene Co. Lake Co. Warren Co.)

Franklin Co. is installing their new system on MARCS-IP using new 800 frequencies and they will use the old Grove City TRS 800 frequencies as they switch over too. They are already using one now (856.23750) taken from the Grove City TRS.

Ohio MARCS-IP: Multi-Agency Radio Communications (P25) Trunking System, Various, Ohio - Scanner Frequencies

If you look at the sites in the system link above you can see how the 800s were added.

So my point was there is no "700 band" or "800 band" per se, it is all one band.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Thanks for all the advice. I did get the radio working on MARCS with rebanding. I followed the instructions posted above to enter the new band-plan, but it do not work right away. I change my setup to control channel only and still nothing - for about a minute, then everything started coming in. I think the radio had to listen and learn for a while as there was not much traffic. If I turn the radio off then back on, it continues to receive fine. During all this my wife surprised me with a new BCD436HP (she saw my notes about what radios work and pickup 700MHz in case we change in the spring), and it worked right out of the box after entering the zip code. So, I am probably going to sell the BC296D and focus on the new one.

Thanks again for all your help, I really appreciate it and it solved my problem as well. I learned a lot from the posts.

Firefox89

Premium Subscriber
Be patient learning the sentinel software, it could take some frustrating hours to learn, but once you get it figured out it is not that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.