Uniden Home Patrol 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfd461

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone I am not a novice as far as scanning goes, but maybe someone could answer a few questions for me regarding the Home Patrol 2.
The 1st thing I would like to know can you program your own frequencies and talkgroups with the basic unit other than the Radio Reference database? Or is that what the extreme upgrade does.
2nd question in less I'm reading wrong could u use this as a portable it seems the specs show that it is not a very large unite. Thanks for any help.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
1: Yes, using Sentinel you can program anything you want w/o the Extreme Upgrade. With the EE, you can also do so from the scanner itself.

2: You can use it as a portable. It is bigger than a handheld typically is, but smaller than a mobile typically is. Think parka pocketable.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I also use mine as a portable using the hard leather case. The case also has a belt loop. It is wider than a regular portable but does the job. I also put velcro on the case and my dash for easy mobile use.

The BCD396XT case, which is a small portable, is 4.5" X 2" X 2.5" (OD).

The Home Patrol case is 6.75" X 2" X 3.5" (OD).

So the HP is about 2.25" longer and 1" wider.

The only downfall wearing it on the belt is the display is exposed. It fits into several of my inside coat breast pockets, even in the case.

Last edited:

pfd461

Premium Subscriber
Hey everyone I just wanted to thank you all for your imput on the HP2. It is appreciated. One last question is the audio quality pretty good with this unit? Again Happy Thanksgiving.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Hey everyone I just wanted to thank you all for your imput on the HP2. It is appreciated. One last question, is the audio quality pretty good with this unit? Again Happy Thanksgiving.

Yes it is. Well, at least I think it is good. Others may have differing opinions.

Happy Thanksgiving.

:)

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Yes it is. Well, at least I think it is good. Others may have differing opinions.

If I may interject for a minute.. even though I don't have an HP2..

A lot of the "too quiet" problems with current/modern scanners may be related to FM vs NFM settings. I thought it wouldn't affect me since my area is not under the narrowbanding mandate that the US went through. However, making favorites lists for quite a few items in the full DB and changing the modulation in the FL copy from either "FM" or "Auto" explicitly to "NFM" made a dramatic difference in the "loudness".

I would suggest that even if your agency "didn't narrowband", if you can change to NFM without getting distortion or clipping, you should give it a try.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I tried setting everything to NFM in my HP-2 in addition to my x96XTs and they only frequencies affected by this are the conventional ones. It doesn't do anything on the trunked sites.

I believe the trunked sites will only be affected by the "band defaults", which I don't recall existing in the HP1/HP2 software. I think it's only in the x36 line.

Tryton

Hello Everyone and Happy Thanksgiving! Can anyone tell me if there is a difference in p25 decoding with the HP-2 vs 536HP? I would like to get another scanner to hopefully give me better results from my 996xt's

Zookjim

Home Patrol ll

Just purchased the home patrol II, i think? Every marking on the box, and on the device itself shows it is home patrol II. when i turn it on it is showing home patrol I, the latest firmware has been installed. Why does it show home patrol 1 when the device is turned on?

Voyager

Some ways to tell if it's a HP-2:

* It's got a black case

* It has a charge light below the speaker

* It has only a USB port and no separate power port.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The opening message is programmable through Sentinel. The default message in Sentinel refers to the HomePatrol-1.

stikhic

With the home patrol 2 can you power it from an electrical outlet and charge the batteries or do you need the computer all the time? Thanks.

stikhic

I just bought a Home Patrol 2 and it didn't have the micosd card installed. No response from the seller. Where can I get the software for a replacement card?

Status
Not open for further replies.