• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS-5000 Quik Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillydjdan

I have a UHF XTS-500 that I use daily. I want to set it up with a channel that monitors a dispatch channel but stays silent unless a specified set of tones are transmitted. I've done this with an HT-1250 years ago, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to do it with the XTS-5000. I have the right flash, the options are all there in the tree view, but I just can't seem to get it. If I can't get the channel to remain silent, it would be okay to listen to the channel, but I can't even get it to trip upon receiving the tones. I know it's something stupid on my part. Please give me that little smack in the back of the head lol.

Hopefully this helps you out!

You have to make a personality that you want to be the Two Tone "closed" state. In the personality go to signalling and make sure it's on the Quick Call 2 System you want to be set on.

Go to the Quick Call II Tab, and click Selective Call Decode, and for the Unmute Type set it to And..

And it should work as if the radio was in a "closed" state until the tones were set off.. And you can mess with the reset settings, so if you want the radio to reclose after a certain amount of time, or just have it stay in the open state after it alerted for the tones. Here's some pictures to maybe help you out. Hopefully this helps you out!

Attachments

• QC2.jpg
    QC2.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 931
  • qc22.jpg
    qc22.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 865

gcliff

Premium Subscriber
I have done a successful QCII setup on XTS2500 radios, but when I tried it on a XTS5000 it didn't work. It always stays unmuted. I even did a drag and drop from the XTS2500 to the XTS5000 with no luck.
I must be missing something very obvious but danged if I can figure out what.

phillydjdan

Yeah I'm still having trouble myself. No matter what I do I cannot get it to alert me to a tone set at all. Even monitoring the channel.

What Firmware are you guys on? I'm used to an XTS2500, and don't have a 5000 to mess with it..

I don't really use Quick Call 2 decode on my XTS2500, so.. If one of you guys want to trade, as long as it's a 5000 VHF lol.

phillydjdan

Mine's a UHF, flash of 5810080004828. I know it encodes QCII, I've done some testing, and it sends tone sets just fine. I know there's gotta be some little check box I'm forgetting in some obscure window that's gonna make it work exactly the way I want, but damned if I can't find it! lol

RKG

We have experienced spotty performance of XTS5000s receiving QCII. I'm inclined to suspect one or more of:

1) Firmware;

2) Alignment; and

3) The difficulty that DSP has processing pure tones.

For me, the simplest solution for those clients who use 5000s as alert radio for their on-call resources on analog systems has been to convert from QC to MDC.

gcliff

Premium Subscriber
Mine is using firmware R06.01.00.
Has anyone heard of issues with that version of firmware?
Thanks.

gcliff

Premium Subscriber
Oh my goodness, BLS501, you are so right. I just looked on Motorola's site and that firmware was from 2005 or thereabouts.
I'll try upgrading the firmware and see if that fixes my problem.
Thanks to you and RKG for your help. And thanks phillydjdan for letting me sorta hijack your thread. I hope some of the discussion helps you solve your problem too.

x1sspic

I am having similar issue with Quick Call Decode. I tried to set up my XTS5000 model 3 with a personality set up to function as a pager (have successfully done this with HT1250 and HT1550 radios). My radio is on firmware 20.00.10. When the county dispatcher drops the tones, the radio does not alert.

When I tested the personality out using my 1250 and 1550 to send the tones, the radio alerts as programmed. Thus I concluded that the tones coming from dispatch must either be off ever so slightly or with just a little too much noise for the XTS 5000 to trip, whereas the HT1250 and HT1550 radios will trip.

I tried playing around with disabling Rx Emphasis to see if that would help, but it didn't. I haven't yet tried playing around with the settings under the 'Radio Wide' --> 'Rx Audio Control' menu to see if any of these settings would effect ability to decode quick call tones. Anyone else have similar experience that was able to have better luck? My next thought was to tinker with changing the A-B-C-D tones ever so slightly, but that may take awhile to troubleshoot.

We have experienced spotty performance of XTS5000s receiving QCII. I'm inclined to suspect one or more of:

1) Firmware;

2) Alignment; and

3) The difficulty that DSP has processing pure tones.

For me, the simplest solution for those clients who use 5000s as alert radio for their on-call resources on analog systems has been to convert from QC to MDC.

Status
Not open for further replies.