• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola ADP Encryption and the BK KNG-800

Status
Not open for further replies.

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
Are the Relm/BK KNG-800 radios capable of using Motorola ADP encryption? We were told by a representative from a RF consulting firm (who will remain unnamed) that the radios do have that capability. I call BS as I was under the impression that only Motorola radios could do ADP (as it is proprietary to their equipment). On the Relm spec sheets, it states their radios are only capable of AES/DES/OFB.

Josh

Yes, that could be a possibility, but also a bit unlikely due to the lower level of security and cost... I think a listing I read a few years back showed ADP as being a pretty cheap upgrade at purchase as compared to the rest (which also involved a UCM to be installed and KVL to program it).

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
Ask your "consultant" for the documentation from Relm/BK.
As you said, the only documentation from Relm/BK states the KNG series are capable of AES/DES:

http://www.relm.com/Brochures/Overviews/Encryption Overview.pdf

This particular consultant (actually acted more like a used car salesman) came in and talked the KNG radios up like they were the best damn thing since sliced bread. He even brought a handheld unit in with him to do a demonstration. While showing everyone the features, he went on to tell the group that he prefers to carry that unit over any other (including his Moto APX), and he actually prefers to do coverage testing with the KNG unit. When asked to turn it on, he did so and it emitted an obnoxious bonk. Imagine that! It was a dummy radio that wasn't even programmed. I talked to someone at a nearby agency, and this joker did the exact same thing while demonstrating features on an APX unit.

Last edited:

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
Manufacturers have been known to licence technology from other manufacturers.

True. Motorola licensed Smartnet to EFJ, so I suppose it would be possible to do in this scenario as it applies to proprietary encryption.

DisasterGuy

I would question any consultant pushing a particular radio or manufacturer. Clearly they aren't looking to identify the best platform for a particular agency. BK does indeed make nice subscriber radios and considering their share of the USFS market it wouldn't be too surprising for them to have struck a deal with Moto to license ADP. With that said I still shake my head at anyone that would implement ADP, typically they are simply lead by consultants like the one you have encountered.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I would question any consultant pushing a particular radio or manufacturer..

There in lies the problem. Far too many of these "consultants" have to close ties to a particular vendor. Many times, the revolving door of consultants in and out of those vendors or agencies that retain the consulting firms and buy from those same vendors... flow like a river.

You cannot expect to get an HONEST unbiased solution from anyone who is connected to a vendor.

But that's how it's been in the public safety LMR business for as long as I can remember.

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
I would question any consultant pushing a particular radio or manufacturer. Clearly they aren't looking to identify the best platform for a particular agency. BK does indeed make nice subscriber radios and considering their share of the USFS market it wouldn't be too surprising for them to have struck a deal with Moto to license ADP. With that said I still shake my head at anyone that would implement ADP, typically they are simply lead by consultants like the one you have encountered.

Oh believe me, the brass is already on to him. #1 we've just about completed our transition to P25, and things are still undecided about encryption. Our agency for sure will not be using it on the primary dispatch channels. If (and that's a huge if) they decide to use it, it will be limited to a couple of TAC channels-and-it will have to be AES and/or DES being that most of our neighboring agencies use both. This consultant did bring up ADP multiple times, though, so it was obvious what he was attempting to do.

DisasterGuy

AES-256 is the defacto standard for interoperable multi-vendor encryption, so say ye the almighty DHS:

http://www.twoway.net/sites/default/files/documents/p25_encryption_and_interoperability.pdf

Indeed true. At least DES though is interoperable compared to ADP. I am actually considering implementing DES on a couple of our talkgroups when we migrate to P25 next year because #1 it is our current encryption standard for LE tactical channels and #2 single-key DES is damn near free from several vendors. It offers a pretty good solution for things like "convenience" medical consult patches and fire service intra-company talkgroups. As you state though, all of our traditionally encrypted talkgroups (primarily law enforcement tactical channels) will be moved to 256-AES.

com501

DES is completely compromised for security. Best to stick with AES256 if you truly need encryption on TAC channels.

There is no need for encryption to satisfy any HIPAA requirements.

Looking at my most current RELM/BK dealer price sheet and also at the KNG software, there is no mention of ADP at all, so I call official BS on your salesman's claim. They DO offer a CAL-FIRE feature set option, however, for the KNG, something that was awaited for a long time.

com501

Um, NO, they are not. NO WHERE in the KNG pricing or spec sheet does it mention Motorola proprietary 40 bit ADP encryption whatsoever.

PLEASE post an official document from Relm/BK in this regard, as I couldn't find anything in the pricing pages, the product literature, OR THE PROGRAMMING SOFTWARE, that would allow ADP.

Otherwise, I call BS.

mancow

Database Admin
EFJ was in bed with Moto pretty good. BK and EFJ were very tight as well. I wouldn't think it too far out of the possibility that BK would work a deal with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.