Is anyone using the RT systems software, comments requetsed

Status
Not open for further replies.

KQ4BX

Premium Subscriber
I was looking at the RT Systems software for my Icom radio's, and it does not appear that I can use the same cable for both, except that the IC-7100 software indicates that it can work with the cable that Icom supplied, which is a standard USB cable.

Is the RT Systems software worth the cost when it comes to D-Star, or just simply repeater programming.

Any comments from anyone using it are welcomed.

Joe

I've used RT Systems software with two of my ham radios and it works good for me, I have no experience with DSTAR however, the only thing that I have noticed is the software doesn't like out of band freqs and I had to trick the software so it would except them.....

the software is pretty helpful for programming repeaters because it will automatically come up with the input and offset,so it will save a lot of time.

KQ4BX

Premium Subscriber
Do you have to have seperate RT programs for each of your radios? I have the two Icom radios, and I am not sure if I need tow cables and one software package, or two different software packages, one for each.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I've used RT for all my Icoms.. With the original software that I bought when I purchased them, and now with the newer updates and cable.. Well worth the investment.

Yes, each radio has it's own piece of software as each has different nuances.

Do you have to have seperate RT programs for each of your radios? I have the two Icom radios, and I am not sure if I need tow cables and one software package, or two different software packages, one for each.

Yes you will need separate software packages per radios (assuming there different model)

What model of Icom radios do you have?

KQ4BX

Premium Subscriber
IC-7100 and ID-5100A

I also noticed that RT Systems web site shows two versions for the 5100, one says ID-5100-Data, and the other just says ID-5100. I wrote to their support to ask about the difference, because the description for both is the same. Both are the same price, so I ruled out that one came with the programming cable, and one without.

OK, I went back and read the description of the cables of each of the ID-5100 packages, and the one I took was the one that said it would fit the 2.5 mm Data port, and along with the 5100, it would fit other D-star radios, including some handhelds.

Last edited:
I use RT on Icom, Kenwood, and Powerwerx. Love it. I can copy and paste between radios. I use the same cable for my IC2820 and IC92, though you need the converter piece to 3.5mm plug for the 92.

Good stuff!

KQ4BX

Premium Subscriber
That copy and paste sounds like a real time saver. I will have some of the same D-Star programming in the 7100 that is in the 5100. I guess I will need to know about the cables before I place my next order.
Maybe I can make an adapter for one if they don't fit. It would only be a matter of switching either the connector, or the data pin arrangment, or both. Both being Icom, I think they might be the same.

The 5100 will be here on Monday from HRO in Atlanta.

One thing that bothers me about VHF/UHF ariound here, is that it is almost dead. I remember when the repeaters were poping at the seams from so many hams on them. That was back right after the No-Code Tech came out.

Oh well.. We have a few Ham Fests coming up, the best of them being Orlando. It takes me two hours to get toi it, but I spend all day there. I might get swap space this year, and down size my garage stash.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
While pricey for ham software, it is very nice software. I have it for vx-170, ft-277, ft-8800, ic-92ad, and tm-v71a... Copying across brands and models is a great feature... Even though I sold my 8800, I kept the software and cable...

ka4gfy

The R/T Systems software is great. I have it for all my ICOM radios. While I can use one standard cable for my ICOM 91AD, 2820 and T81, I do need another one for the IC-7000. I also have the data cable for the 2820, which allows me to use the low speed data feature on DSTAR, as well as programming. I still have to use the other cable for the 91AD. I also have the software for the Alinco DJ-G29.

One really cool feature is it does talk to repeater mapping software such as ARRL's Travel Plus. I believe it does talk to others as well.

Bottom line, you can't go wrong with this software. The cost includes the software AND the cable, so its not as steep as it appears.

Rich, KA4GFY

k6cpo

I've used RT Systems software with two of my ham radios and it works good for me, I have no experience with DSTAR however, the only thing that I have noticed is the software doesn't like out of band freqs and I had to trick the software so it would except them.....

the software is pretty helpful for programming repeaters because it will automatically come up with the input and offset,so it will save a lot of time.

I do a lot of monitoring of Marine VHF and railroad channels. I had no problems entering frequencies that were outside the amateur bands.

I use the RT Systems software on four different Yaesu radios. While I was able to use the same cable for my two HTs, I had to have a different software package because the features on the two radios are different.

The best way to find out if a cable and/or software might be compatible with more than one radio is to contact RT Systems directly. Keep in mind that their software will ONLY work with their cables.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
I bought a used UV-5R that came with the RT software. Up to that point, I had been using CHIRP to program all my (5) UV-5R radios. Not anymore. The RT software leaves CHIRP in the dust. I have since bought their software for a couple other of my radios. Haven't regretted the purchases yet... and doubt if I ever will.

:)

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I do a lot of monitoring of Marine VHF and railroad channels. I had no problems entering frequencies that were outside the amateur bands.

As long as the frequency you are trying to enter is a valid step size, and is in the rage the radio is able to receive, it will work. RT software cares not if it is OOB.

I use the RT Systems software on four different Yaesu radios. While I was able to use the same cable for my two HTs, I had to have a different software package because the features on the two radios are different.

You need each software package for each radio. If the radios use the same cable(VX-170, FT-270 or FT-8800&FT-7900 as examples, you only need the one cable for the two portables, and one cable for the mobiles. In this case for those four radios you would only need two cables.

The best way to find out if a cable and/or software might be compatible with more than one radio is to contact RT Systems directly.

Spot on advice. Call RT and tell them what radios you have and they will tell you what cables you need. Their customer service is second to none. I had an issue with the TM-V71a cable, they had a new one out to me ASAP, and paid shipping to get it to me. They are VERY customer service oriented.

Keep in mind that their software will ONLY work with their cables.

This is true. While it sucks, I get it. Makes for a captive audience... Be happy the cables are decently priced... They could be like Motorola, and act like they are made of gold... All in all, for the product you get the price is pretty cheap. If I get another hammy type radio I WILL buy the RT software for it. I t will communicate with Repeaterbook, ARRL Travel plus and atleast one more. Best part is the ability to import and export *.CSV files... All in all great software, with great support.

I bought a used UV-5R that came with the RT software. Up to that point, I had been using CHIRP to program all my (5) UV-5R radios. Not anymore. The RT software leaves CHIRP in the dust. I have since bought their software for a couple other of my radios. Haven't regretted the purchases yet... and doubt if I ever will.

:)

Yea, I have used chirp, and I like, love actually, the RT software better as well. I will stick to RT... I just hope the make a version for the CS-700, and the upcoming CS-7000...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
You need each software package for each radio.
Which is my primary complaint with RTSystems. The Kenwood TM-V71 and TM-D710 use the same RF deck. The only difference is the control heads. The Kenwood software, which is free, is designed to work with both radios and works fine. But RTSystems makes you buy separate programs for the two radios. When I pointed out to RTSystems that Kenwood used the same program for both radios, they told me that wasn't possible.

I think that if they wanted to, they could make programs that would work with multiple types of similar radios, e.g. Kenwood TM-V71 and TM-D710 or the Yaesu FT-8800 and FT-8900. But, they've chosen a different business and software development model.

This [RT software only works with RT cables] is true. While it sucks, I get it. Makes for a captive audience.
I, at least, give them credit for using this ploy to make sure that you have cables that work. Given the problems folks seem to have with USB-to-RS232 converters, designing their software around their cables eliminates a potential customer support problem. On the other hand, they may be doing it just for the money.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Which is my primary complaint with RTSystems. The Kenwood TM-V71 and TM-D710 use the same RF deck. The only difference is the control heads. The Kenwood software, which is free, is designed to work with both radios and works fine. But RTSystems makes you buy separate programs for the two radios. When I pointed out to RTSystems that Kenwood used the same program for both radios, they told me that wasn't possible.

I think that if they wanted to, they could make programs that would work with multiple types of similar radios, e.g. Kenwood TM-V71 and TM-D710 or the Yaesu FT-8800 and FT-8900. But, they've chosen a different business and software development model.

They could have priced it higher... Think Motorola... But on that note the Kenwood software is crap. Yea it works, but it is still garbage. I used it only to get the radio going while the RT was being shipped. I would NEVER use it again. It is just that bad...

I, at least, give them credit for using this ploy to make sure that you have cables that work. Given the problems folks seem to have with USB-to-RS232 converters, designing their software around their cables eliminates a potential customer support problem. On the other hand, they may be doing it just for the money.

I do not mind using their cables. Yea you have to use their cables, but at the same time they do stand behind their product. That, to me, more than makes up for that issue. I just wish they would make the USB plugs smaller... They are pretty bulky.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bill4long

I have the following radios:

One Kenwood TS-2000 (HF/VHF/UHF all mode base/mobile)
One Yaesu 8800 mobile (2/440)
Two Yaesu 7900 mobiles (2/440)
One Yaesu FT-60R HT (2/440)
One Icom ID-31A HT (440 Dstar)
Two Wouxun UV3R HTs (one for 2/440 and one for 2/220)
Two Baofeng UV5RA HTs (one for 2/440 and one for 2/220)
One Alinco 135 mobile (2 meters)
One Alinco 235 mobile (220)

I use RT-Systems with all of them. The user interface is excellent and it makes it very easy to copy/paste and manage all the frequencies in my radios because I like to keep them all the same as much as possible. The Wouxun and Baofeng all use the same cable. The Yaesu mobiles use the same cable. The Alincos use the same cable. The remainder have their own cables.

Yes, you have to use their cables, but this guarantees that it will work. The generic RS-232 to serial interfaces based on the Prolific chip have given eternal fits across the computer world, including myself. The RT-System cables are reasonably priced, so no big deal. And they work!

The RT-System software will program the radios for any frequency the radio can transmit OR receive on. MURS, FRS, GMRS, LMR, aircraft frequencies, no problem.

The D-Star programming for my ID-31A is a snap. Easy as pie.

BTW, I had a Yaesu 857 for a while, and that worked fine as well.

I'm not usually such a FanBoy but I've been completely happy with RT-Systems. I highly recommend them.

And they have EXCELLENT tech support.

(I am not associated with RT-Systems in any way.)

Have fun

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.