Bricked 396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Hello there,

Recently I got the genius idea to insert a disc. tap on my 396XT, and despite reading the many warnings previously posted here I went ahead anyways and basically bricked the unit. The scanner appears to be passing baseband audio to the speaker/headphone jack. The LED display works fine and all the buttons/knob still work, but somehow I screwed up the RF circuitry as the squelch control is totally gone. When I turn the scanner on but don't select anything, there is a low hiss as if the squelch is totally off.

When I hold on a single frequency associated with a local Public Safety VHF Repeater, I hear constant noise (possibly baseband audio) except when the repeater is transmitting. Whenever the repeater transmits I get a strong signal with clean audio, but when the repeater un-keys it goes back to constant noise. Moreover it doesn't recognize or display any tones, only CSQ. I'm thinking I might have accidentally dropped solder over a pin or something, is that a possibility for what could have caused this? Also, would Uniden be able to fix something like this (obviously not under a warranty)?>

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Hello there,

Recently I got the genius idea to insert a disc. tap on my 396XT, and despite reading the many warnings previously posted here I went ahead anyways and basically bricked the unit. The scanner appears to be passing baseband audio to the speaker/headphone jack. The LED display works fine and all the buttons/knob still work, but somehow I screwed up the RF circuitry as the squelch control is totally gone. When I turn the scanner on but don't select anything, there is a low hiss as if the squelch is totally off.

When I hold on a single frequency associated with a local Public Safety VHF Repeater, I hear constant noise (possibly baseband audio) except when the repeater is transmitting. Whenever the repeater transmits I get a strong signal with clean audio, but when the repeater un-keys it goes back to constant noise. Moreover it doesn't recognize or display any tones, only CSQ. I'm thinking I might have accidentally dropped solder over a pin or something, is that a possibility for what could have caused this? Also, would Uniden be able to fix something like this (obviously not under a warranty)?>

The short answer is YES they can fix it. They will restore it to the original way it was sold.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
update: I'm so glad I posted here, I thought for sure my scanner was deader than dead. However, I used the Uniden repair service and got it back yesterday. It was less than a month from the day I mailed it in, to the day I got it back. It's now 100% operational as stated above. (Thank goodness I constantly updated my Freescan files, because I got it fully re-programmed within 20 minutes)

I suppose my post should serve as the 95th warning: Don't try to solder your Disc Tap unless you have adequate experience and the proper tools to solder tiny circuit boards. Also if you want raw baseband audio, just buy a $15 SDR dongle (which I finally did after the fact).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.