Pro-652 programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnrick

Hello, I just bought a new Pro-652 today, I am fairly familiar with public safety communications and how it all works but I have a few programming questions:

I created a scan list called "Dakota County" it is a digital trunk system with 14 frequencies in it.

There are approx 25-30 agencies with different talk groups (ID's) using that group of frequencies and this may be a dumb question but how do I go about setting up the talk groups in that scan list? I know how to add 1, but how can I get it to let me add multiple groups so that when whoever is talking I can see the text of who it is?

Also, if I want to add more frequencies to a scan list how do I do that?

There are some helpful videos on youtube but they don't cover everything.

I'll have more questions but I am starting with this.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Rick

QDP2012

Good evening,

Here's the link to the Easier to Read Manual, in case you haven't seen it yet.

ETRM 106/197/652,etc.

Summary:
The list of frequencies from the Trunked Radio System must be entered as a TSYS.
Then you enter the Talkgroups, and assign that TSYS to each of the Talkgroups.
Then you assign each Talkgroup to a ScanList.
Then you enable the scanlist, by pressing the related keypad number to toggle the ScanList on/off, as needed.

Hope this helps,

Last edited:

mnrick

Thanks, I looked at that. I will have a lot to figure out.

I used to be into this years ago, had a colllection of scanners but then I got busy with other things, the technology changed in my area and I never upgraded until today when I went out and bought this new scanner.

mnrick

I will have to try it some more tomorrow after work.

The channel lay outs here are essentially the same as they were 15 years ago, they were just moved over to the new system, different frequencies. I have the advantage of knowing that and knowing what I am listening to, I just have to figure out how to program this thing.

I am sure I'll be back.

Thanks

mnrick

Where do I download that at?

I have a question. If there is a user (State Police) that has a ID (54 & 74) that seems to be used across multiple scan groups (I have 3 counties entered and that ID is showing up in all of them from time to time) is it possible for me to just create a State Police scan group using those ID's and not have it come up while I am only trying to scan local communications?

I was sort of disappointed with Radio Shack, back when I was into scanning and had purchased a few scanners at my local Radio Shack they had people in there who were knowledgeable and actually knew what they were selling. Yesterday I go in there and there were two really young looking guys who just knew nothing, could not even answer basic questions about the product they sell.

I am going to work, will be back later this afternoon. Thanks for your advice.

DJ11DLN

Win500: WS1040, WS1065, PSR-500, PSR-600, PRO-651, PRO-652, PRO-106, PRO-197, PSR-310, PSR-410 Scanner Software for Data Management, Monitoring, and Control This is for Win500, what you need for your 652. If you got the programming cable from RS it would have come with a CD copy of the Butel version. Or Google Butel and scroll to ARC500. Both work well, both give you a month to play with 'em before you have to buy, either one (it'll come down to personal preference) is well worth the price. I like Win500 but others like ARC500. But get something, programming these things by hand is a huge PITA.

I feel your pain, I did much the same thing as you did, got out of the hobby for several years (life happens...) and the communications world changed while I was gone. Hang in there, it's more involved and difficult now but far from impossible. You'll pick it up. The Easier-To-Read manuals can be a big help too, whether you buy a hard copy or just use the (free) online version. You already found the best possible resource for getting up to date...it's called Radio Reference! :D:D:D

mnrick

After some thought I am thinking about returning this scanner and ordering a Uniden 536hp which is on sale at Radio Shack right now.

That one looks easier to use, looks like it has larger buttons and has a nicer display.

Does any one here have any reason why one should not buy a 536HP?

Please let me know

Thanks
Rick

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
After some thought I am thinking about returning this scanner and ordering a Uniden 536hp which is on sale at Radio Shack right now.

That one looks easier to use, looks like it has larger buttons and has a nicer display.

Does any one here have any reason why one should not buy a 536HP?

Please let me know

Thanks
Rick

No it's not easier to use, there is still a large learning curve. There are a number of reasons not to get a 536, especially if you don't need Phase II. There are a number of threads on the forum that discuss the issues. You bought a good radio, you just need to invest some time to figure it out.

mnrick

OK, I will keep it. I'll just spend more time trying to figure out the programming.

Thanks for your help. I'll study the manual and quit bothering people here.

Rick

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Where do I download that at?
I was sort of disappointed with Radio Shack, back when I was into scanning and had purchased a few scanners at my local Radio Shack they had people in there who were knowledgeable and actually knew what they were selling. Yesterday I go in there and there were two really young looking guys who just knew nothing, could not even answer basic questions about the product they sell.
I am going to work, will be back later this afternoon. Thanks for your advice.

I know the feeling on RS people are clueless on scanners these days. But I do hear people are buying them like crazy. Some bring it back cause they don't know how to program it. The people at RS have no way helping them to program the radios.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
OK, I will keep it. I'll just spend more time trying to figure out the programming.

Thanks for your help. I'll study the manual and quit bothering people here.

Rick

If your pro652 came with a programing cable you can use the win500 software for 30 days for a free trail. Or use the other software like the users stated. If your pro652 didn't come with the usb programing cable you need it at from RS something like 30 dollars. It's faster that way instead doing it by hand takes hours to do if you alot of systems or channels to put in.

mnrick

I stopped at RS and picked up the cable/software on my way home tonight, I have that in my computer and am trying to figure out how to get it going.

Is there a tutorial on here on how to get it up and running?

QDP2012

...bothering people here.

As you read the manual(s) and related RR threads, don't give-up or waste a lot of time if you find yourself struggling with something. Feel free to ask questions if/when something does not make sense. Detailed questions usually get the best answers. We are here to help each other enjoy the hobby.

mnrick

Thank you for the encouragement. I have the cable/software and I am trying to figure out how to get it running.

Is there a specific topic/forum here where I can see info on how to get the programming software going?

Status
Not open for further replies.