indoor plug outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

dallascowboys

Hi everyone, I am buying my son for Christmas the Home Patrol 2 scanner, what I would like to know is can this scanner also be plugged into an indoor house plug or do you have to use the batteries to listen to the scanner, and if you have to use the batteries can you still listen while the batteries are charging ?

THANKS
Dallascowboys

dallascowboys

AC power

Ok so the Home Patrol can be powered using the AC indoor plug, but can I use the USB cable that comes with the home patrol or do I have to get a different cable to do this and can I leave the batteries in the home patrol or should I take them out when I use the indoor plug ? sorry for all the questions but this digital stuff is ALL NEW to me .

AC2OY

I would take the batteries out when using a USB to AC adaptor just in case you don't cook the batteries inside a $500.00 scanner! BTW your a great Father buying your son a scanner like this!!!

skyliner

Premium Subscriber
Ok so the Home Patrol can be powered using the AC indoor plug, but can I use the USB cable that comes with the home patrol or do I have to get a different cable to do this and can I leave the batteries in the home patrol or should I take them out when I use the indoor plug ? sorry for all the questions but this digital stuff is ALL NEW to me .

That's actually a great question. I was wondering the same thing myself, about battery removal. Not sure the batteries actually charge when using the USB cable from a power source.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
That's actually a great question. I was wondering the same thing myself, about battery removal. Not sure the batteries actually charge when using the USB cable from a power source.
When you plug a power source into the Home Patrol (either model, -1 or -2), it will ask if you want to charge the batteries. If you say no, then it will operate on the external power, without also charging. You only get that prompt on the HP-2, which uses the USB cable, if the power source "reads" as high power to the scanner, in other words, it presents itself as having the capacity to both operate the scanner and charge the batteries. A pc, for instance, would be a low power source, limited to 500ma. That would either charge, or run the scanner, but not both.

Using the scanner without batteries disables the recording features, including Replay.

skyliner

Premium Subscriber
When you plug a power source into the Home Patrol (either model, -1 or -2), it will ask if you want to charge the batteries. If you say no, then it will operate on the external power, without also charging. You only get that prompt on the HP-2, which uses the USB cable, if the power source "reads" as high power to the scanner, in other words, it presents itself as having the capacity to both operate the scanner and charge the batteries. A pc, for instance, would be a low power source, limited to 500ma. That would either charge, or run the scanner, but not both.

Using the scanner without batteries disables the recording features, including Replay.

That helps, thanks. One more question: Is there any problem powering from a USB source that's 2.4a, or one that's higher than 500ma? Does it matter?

skach

Flashing Red Light

Just purchased the HP-2, installed it in my motor vehicle, hooked it up to what is probably considered a "low" USB power source, and running it. The charge light on the front is now flashing red. Is this because it is not really charging, but rather just using the USB power source to run it? I see that oddly enough, the battery icon in the upper right-hand corner switches between the battery symbol and the charge symbol. Any explanation from anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.