Ferguson, MO- Protester charged with interfering with police radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
FERGUSON • A man arrested in the Ferguson protests over the weekend was charged Monday with felony tampering for allegedly using police radios to try to distract police and interfere with their work.

Nicholas S. Green, 35, of the 3500 block of Connor Avenue in St. John, was one of two men arrested in connection with the Ferguson protests Saturday night.

Green was arrested at about 9:30 p.m. Saturday. Police say he was using the radios at Tiffin and Harrison avenues, about a block from the Ferguson police station on South Florissant Avenue.

Ferguson protester used police radios to interfere with cops, charges allege : News

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
And this idiot just opened the door for FPD to do the following 2 things: Encrypt ALL communications, and go MOSWIN. Second one not a bad thing, first one bad for those that monitor, but could actually save lives during this crapstorm.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
Before anyone passes judgement on either side of the Ferguson unrest, you need to spend 5-10 minutes reading this. Gave me a different viewpoint on what's happening there.

2014 Ferguson unrest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well for starters, it's Wikipedia....informative, maybe...reliable?...I read some of the stuff on that page, I detect a distinct bias, but maybe that's just me.

Now, I really have no idea how anything the rioters and looters have done could excuse Mr Green for interfering with police comms.

I do see that St. Louis city is in the process of moving over to a p25 phase 2 system, with most everything encrypted. Not that an 800 system couldn't be interfered with, probably a little harder to do though than a vhf/uhf based system.

Jeff.

jaymatt1978

Wikipedia IS NOT A VALID SOURCE. If you changed your mind based on what you read on Wikipedia I feel very sorry for you. It is a wellknown fact people a re changing the Wikipedia page to be extremely biased! I can read that 100 over and my opinion about the stuff going on there won't change one bit!!

Before anyone passes judgement on either side of the Ferguson unrest, you need to spend 5-10 minutes reading this. Gave me a different viewpoint on what's happening there.

2014 Ferguson unrest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

nbarco

Premium Subscriber
Read it and don't feel any different

These displays of anarchy have nothing to do with the verdict. These are a bunch of derelict thugs that want to loot and demonstrate primitive animalistic behavior. I wish more business owners would decide to protect their property with deadly force. If not a deterrent at least there would be that many less pieces of ___t.

SCPD

QRT
And I was waiting for this to happen and yup I see it now. Anti police feeling in air officers feeling for safety here comes /\/\ with a good contract deal. Phase 2 with tri board apx radios. Slam dunk commission approval. Feel sorry for the decent folk out there. All because of losers and paranoid anti gov nuts.

SCPD

QRT
On a additional comment it is those people the animals to anti cop anti gov ones creating your E world. Just look at the facts. Plain and simple. Instead of blaming a chief or officer those folks are the ones who need the bashing. Lol it is being reported he's a ham. Oh boy there goes that credibility in the area now for decent monitoring. Wing media will throw hams under a bus now. I keep seeing many buy apx radios to passive monitor but it don't do good with otap/otar E. I cam see it becoming more used with protests like this and as a result of public disobedience. It's got to point in allot places either join a force or find a new hobby.

Last edited:

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Well after all of the damage from the Riots and the restless people burning down their city its just another reason for this city to Encrypt. Also, the idiot that tampered with the radio comms will also seal their decision to lock down their comms for sure. Another city or county down the drain within the next couple of years. Its a slow process.

Just join a Motorola trunked system and strap your talkgroups with Encryption and then there is no way of somebody tampering with the comms anymore. Problem solved. And if the agency needs outside agency mutual aid then they can patch a talkgroup to a conventional frequency.

SCPD

QRT
Well after all of the damage from the Riots and the restless people burning down their city its just another reason for this city to Encrypt. Also, the idiot that tampered with the radio comms will also seal their decision to lock down their comms for sure. Another city or county down the drain within the next couple of years. Its a slow process.

Just join a Motorola trunked system and strap your talkgroups with Encryption and then there is no way of somebody tampering with the comms anymore. Problem solved. And if the agency needs outside agency mutual aid then they can patch a talkgroup to a conventional frequency.

With multi or rather dual band radios capable of dtrs and conv in split bands it's more common thing to be seen in the future. A event occurs all units switch to or they are pulled by dispatch by over air control to interop talk groups linked to conv interop. I think you'll see more of that later down road as tech progresses. Computer systems which will throw certain units or superiors throwing units to set talkgroups or channels. Essentially a radio that don't have to be pre programmed but assigned to a system and the system or higher end tells that specific unit and portable ecu or Vin # which registers with a controller what it goes to what it listens to and talks to and interops with no radio shop to spend hours programming naming etc. Of course it's way down road. I mentioned that to a rep who tried to sell our city with a dtrs (he failed lol) but mentioned how I can see it going that direction. He said for sure but there's no $ in that yet. Basically saying they'd loose out on selling obsolete in 3 year systems over a seamless endless system. One downside it would hammer away passive monitoring as therr wouldn't be anything to program the system itself assigns what radio listens obviously in secure mode. He said that's been looked into in Europe in house testing to make the process smoother for agencies but no actual deployment.

Last edited:

BaofengScanner

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I've seen lots of youtube comments encouraging people to employ jamming devices over their frequencies and as well all complete jamming of the spectrums with Bomb Jammers from international retailers. Only a matter of time before someone does something stupid like those cellular jammer people you used to see on the news.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Just join a Motorola trunked system and strap your talkgroups with Encryption and then there is no way of somebody tampering with the comms anymore.

You can still do a DOS attack with a bunch of conventional portables. Simply key up on the various voice channels, and the controller will pull them out of service due to interference on the channel.

Problem solved.

Not really. But the salesman will spin it that way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
With multi or rather dual band radios capable of dtrs and conv in split bands it's more common thing to be seen in the future. A event occurs all units switch to or they are pulled by dispatch by over air control to interop talk groups linked to conv interop. I think you'll see more of that later down road as tech progresses. Computer systems which will throw certain units or superiors throwing units to set talkgroups or channels. Essentially a radio that don't have to be pre programmed but assigned to a system and the system or higher end tells that specific unit and portable ecu or Vin # which registers with a controller what it goes to what it listens to and talks to and interops with no radio shop to spend hours programming naming etc. Of course it's way down road. I mentioned that to a rep who tried to sell our city with a dtrs (he failed lol) but mentioned how I can see it going that direction. He said for sure but there's no $ in that yet. Basically saying they'd loose out on selling obsolete in 3 year systems over a seamless endless system. One downside it would hammer away passive monitoring as therr wouldn't be anything to program the system itself assigns what radio listens obviously in secure mode. He said that's been looked into in Europe in house testing to make the process smoother for agencies but no actual deployment.

Hello OpenSky? It already is out there and what you describe is how OpenSky works. It's also why you can not passively monitor OpenSky...

Also the latest release of APX firmware allows for geofencing. This means that when a radio crosses a determined line, the radio will automatically switched to a preassigned talk group...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nbarco

Premium Subscriber
Encryption keeps people from eavesdropping. It does not provide protection from jamming, DOS, or attacking with severe interference. The hardware necessary for these attacks is cheaper than a scanner and encryption will not make it harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.