• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Best 2-Tone Radio/Pager Combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
What do you think the best 2-tone radio/pager combo is? What is your experience?

I am looking for something to replace the expensive Motorola Minitor 5. With the increasing size of pagers (not only Motorola) these days it is not much more beneficial than just carrying a radio. There are a lot of radios out there that are about the same size as a pager and offer all the benefits of a radio.

The challenge comes in at getting the radio to behave exactly like a pager would. The single most difficult problem is finding a radio that will allow you to monitor the channel but still alert with a 2-tone signal. I have only been able to find 1 radio that will do this, Motorola HT1250. However my experience has been somewhat limited.

Some of the other radios I have played with but have not be able to setup completely to my liking include: Icom F50, Motorola CP200XLS, and the Relm/BK RPV3600A.

What are your thoughts and suggestions?

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
I used to carry a ht1000 back when those were still popular and it paged great. Only two tone sets or one and a long tone (I think, its been a while). I upgraded to a vertex vx 180 then a 420 then a 820 series. All worked great for paging and as a radio. Had a couple kenwoods and an ICOM along the way but I prefer a moto or vertex. As for a small pager though, I like my US alert watchdog Lt. Its small and works just as good as my minitor v.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
Typically just 1 or 2 sets. However there are times when it would be nice to have several sets.

12dbsinad

The Icom F50V will do all that your're asking for, plus it has voice record and vibration alert. Make sure it is the V model and not a regular F50. Department around me use them and have had no troubles. If you set the channel to "OR", it will still decode and set off the radio while keeping the channel always open.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
Thanks for the info! I was wondering if that was one of the features of the F50V... I have only been able to play around with the standard F50. Even it has some difficulties decoding certain tone sets. Although its probably in my programming.

12dbsinad

No problem! Also, make sure you get the newer "MM" firmware, Icom took all of the minitor alert tones (I believe there is 10) and included it in the firmware so it sounds exactly like a minitor. Really neat. It will also decode up to 10 sets of tones. Good luck!

wa2chj

I vote for the Vertex VX-459 series. Multiple tones encode/decode, on duty/off duty, multiple alerts, and best of all free programming software...although you do have to buy a programming cable.

Scott

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
No problem! Also, make sure you get the newer "MM" firmware, Icom took all of the minitor alert tones (I believe there is 10) and included it in the firmware so it sounds exactly like a minitor. Really neat. It will also decode up to 10 sets of tones. Good luck!

Where can you find the F60v with the newer "MM" firmware? I'm looking for the 450-512mhz model. I've only found the 400-470mhz model.

The Antenna Farm has it, but I've found with other purchases from them, you don't always get the latest firmware. Can you get the latest firmware from Icom like you can from Vertex?

Thanks,

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
The Kenwood 2312/3312 series is a great radio. You can decode 2 pairs per channel, up to 6 pairs. Has Monitor type beeps and you can adjust the alert tones to your liking. You get 128 channels, nice scan feature, and great reception.

Voyager

The 750 is physically identical to the HT1250 he found, but the 1250 is capable of many more channels.

I was thinking a cheap dual-bander like the Anytone, but it will only decode 1 tone set. It's much smaller than most commercial HTs and is only a bit larger than a Min V.

12dbsinad

Where can you find the F60v with the newer "MM" firmware? I'm looking for the 450-512mhz model. I've only found the 400-470mhz model.

The Antenna Farm has it, but I've found with other purchases from them, you don't always get the latest firmware. Can you get the latest firmware from Icom like you can from Vertex?

Thanks,

The MM firmware has been out for awhile now, so unless they have really old stock they should have it. Any Icom dealer should be able to easily burn the new firmware into an older F60V. I don't think Icom will just give it out to anyone. As far as the band split, 400-470 is popular but again any dealer should have no troubles getting you a 450-512.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I am new to the Relm/BK RPV3600A. Can anyone confirm whether or not this radio can monitor and alert on the same channel? I am not real familiar with the programming software but it sure looks like you could program the radio this way.

I am new to the Relm/BK RPV3600A. Can anyone confirm whether or not this radio can monitor and alert on the same channel? I am not real familiar with the programming software but it sure looks like you could program the radio this way.

It can! I replied to you on that other topic you commented on! Shoot me a PM and I'll help you!

Status
Not open for further replies.