Shack Gets Yet Another Makeover

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Despite the fact that I liked the big "scanner box" I constructed a few months ago, it was taking up too much space on my desktop and I didn't hardly have any room for a computer or to write down notes when I was monitoring the radios. I had to do something to rectify the situation, but wanted to keep the set-up as close as I could to what the box set-up was like.

I decided to install some adjustable shelving on the wall at my desk. Decided that three should do the trick, and being adjustable, I would have some flexibility as to what radios I could put on what shelves. Although, when all was said and done, I pretty much grouped the radios by size. In the end, here's how everything turned out...

Top shelf: Uniden BC246T, Uniden BR330T, GRE PSR-700, GRE PSR-800
Middle Shelf: Uniden BC355C, Leixen VV-898 VHF/UHF Transceiver, Yaesu FT-7900 VHF/UHF Transceiver (Remote Head)
Bottom Shelf: Uniden BCT15X, Uniden BCD996XT, GRE PSR-410

This picture shows my Uniden HP-2 and my Samsung Chromebook. There in the background is the power supply for the VV-898.

Not pictured is my HP-1 (in my car) and BCD436HP (performing bedside duty).

Still in the process of cleaning up the main amateur radio section of my shack, and should have pictures of that area tomorrow (hopefully).

:)

Danny37

Nice! I think I gotta leave EMS and go finish my degree in Software developing so I can have nice toys lol.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

Nice setup. Very squared away !
How do you like that Leixen?

It's not a bad little radio. With max power of 10 watts, it's almost like having a handheld in a mobile body. It hits the repeaters I need it to, so in that aspect, I'm happy with it.

The only problem I've experienced is that it likes to randomly turn itself off whenever it feels like it. Sometimes it will go a few minutes between turn-offs and sometimes anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes. If I'm lucky, every now and then, it won't turn itself off at all. Thankfully it's only turned off once during transmitting.

chekoz77

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for sharing! I like the stands you have for handhelds. I am starting to get a mess of portables and have been looking for ideas to clean things up.

Quick question.......PSR-800 or 996 for P25?

NWI_Scanner_Guy

Thanks for sharing! I like the stands you have for handhelds. I am starting to get a mess of portables and have been looking for ideas to clean things up.

Quick question.......PSR-800 or 996 for P25?

Both are pretty good in my area but I'd have to give the edge to the PSR-800.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Express via "Tap-A-Talk"

N9JIG

Sheriff
It's not a bad little radio. With max power of 10 watts, it's almost like having a handheld in a mobile body. It hits the repeaters I need it to, so in that aspect, I'm happy with it.

The only problem I've experienced is that it likes to randomly turn itself off whenever it feels like it. Sometimes it will go a few minutes between turn-offs and sometimes anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes. If I'm lucky, every now and then, it won't turn itself off at all. Thankfully it's only turned off once during transmitting.

I don't know much about the Leixen, I have never even heard of it before. I would however suggest that you check the voltage on your power supply. Some radios will automatically power down on low voltage, even when in receive mode. If another radio is drawing down the power supply it could cause this one to power down.

Try putting a voltmeter in the power circuit and turn on and off the other radios to see if the voltage fluctuates. While it may not actually shut down the Leixen at the time, it could indicate the issue.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

I don't know much about the Leixen, I have never even heard of it before. I would however suggest that you check the voltage on your power supply. Some radios will automatically power down on low voltage, even when in receive mode. If another radio is drawing down the power supply it could cause this one to power down.

Try putting a voltmeter in the power circuit and turn on and off the other radios to see if the voltage fluctuates. While it may not actually shut down the Leixen at the time, it could indicate the issue.

It's happened with two different power supplies, one of them being my very reliable Astron RS-20A.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

Well, since nothing has really changed after "cleaning up" the ham portion of my shack, I'll just repost the pics that I took a few months ago. The only thing that has changed is that I no longer have the CB radio that was at the far end of the desk top.

and

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.