Home Depot Channel Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilligan

Database Admin
I've been monitoring my local Home Depot a bit, especially with the holiday shopping going on, and trying to figure out how they use their radios. I know that channel one is typically 467.7625 (065 DPL) and that it is primarily used for store ops. However, my local Home Depot has at least four channels in use and I'm hearing automated announcements coming over all four channels. The other three confirmed channels are 467.850 (331 DPL), 467.8375 (263 DPL), and 467.875 (413 DPL). I'm curious if there are any current or previous Home Depot employees who read this forum who might be able to shed some light on what the nationwide channel plan is, how the different channels are used, and how many channels each store radio typically has. I read somewhere that managers use another frequency listed as 467.900 (466 DPL), or channel 5, however that frequency has apparently only been confirmed in use in a few locations. I don't understand why the same messages, such as "New order" and "Help needed at the front", are going out over all channels, unless each department has its own channel that they monitor. It just doesn't make sense to me why they would have alerts going out over channels that have no apparent employee communication on them, unless those channels are being used only for paging devices and not on the handheld radios themselves. Thanks for any information provided.

ecps92

Common Standard Department Store Channels - Scan New England Wiki

I've been monitoring my local Home Depot a bit, especially with the holiday shopping going on, and trying to figure out how they use their radios. I know that channel one is typically 467.7625 (065 DPL) and that it is primarily used for store ops. However, my local Home Depot has at least four channels in use and I'm hearing automated announcements coming over all four channels. The other three confirmed channels are 467.850 (331 DPL), 467.8375 (263 DPL), and 467.875 (413 DPL). I'm curious if there are any current or previous Home Depot employees who read this forum who might be able to shed some light on what the nationwide channel plan is, how the different channels are used, and how many channels each store radio typically has. I read somewhere that managers use another frequency listed as 467.900 (466 DPL), or channel 5, however that frequency has apparently only been confirmed in use in a few locations. I don't understand why the same messages, such as "New order" and "Help needed at the front", are going out over all channels, unless each department has its own channel that they monitor. It just doesn't make sense to me why they would have alerts going out over channels that have no apparent employee communication on them, unless those channels are being used only for paging devices and not on the handheld radios themselves. Thanks for any information provided.

Gilligan

Database Admin
I appreciate that link. I actually reviewed that page yesterday but it seems to be compiled from listeners rather than employees and doesn't provide much information as to how the channels are used. I appreciate the contribution but am more interested in learning how the channels are used throughout the store operations.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
I worked for HD until 2008, there is no nationwide plan, they have a block of frequencies for each area based on what the FCC co-ordinator could give them. My store wasn't even licensed when we first got the radios. I had to use my service monitor to figure out the channels and DPL codes. I was only aware of 1 channel being used, the other as you say have automated anouncements for assistance in a particular department.
I found this funny as when I started in 2002 I wasn't allowed to use some FRS radios I brought in.
My local store doesn't use portables anymore, they use a wireless internet radio that have other apps on them or vice versa.

ecps92

Yes and No

I can vouch for the Home Depot data as it was obtained right from the Radio itself :)

As for use ? probably each store handles it differently, just like TARGET's radio system

I appreciate that link. I actually reviewed that page yesterday but it seems to be compiled from listeners rather than employees and doesn't provide much information as to how the channels are used. I appreciate the contribution but am more interested in learning how the channels are used throughout the store operations.

Gilligan

Database Admin
I can vouch for the Home Depot data as it was obtained right from the Radio itself :)
Cool -- how many channels were actually programmed into the radio and how many were available on the unit itself? i'm thinking it must have been an 8-channel Motorola with three unprogrammed channels? Also do you know who actually monitored the in-between channels that seem to have only automated announcements?

ecps92

Only 5 programmed
Each store varies.
Some locations use 1 and 2 as chit-chat
others use the addition for LP, Manager etc

Voice Alerts vary, again by store (volume of traffic)

and others have left radios sitting , un-used

Cool -- how many channels were actually programmed into the radio and how many were available on the unit itself? i'm thinking it must have been an 8-channel Motorola with three unprogrammed channels? Also do you know who actually monitored the in-between channels that seem to have only automated announcements?

dkf435

Around here they used to have some separate radios but now it is all digital PTT over their Motorola wireless phone/product scanner unit.

David Kb7uns

nd5y

The Home Depot here has one different DPL code than what is shown on Scan New England and I haven't heard them use 467.9000 at all.
467.7625 065
467.8375 263
467.8500 331 (SNE shows 311)
467.8750 413

Gilligan

Database Admin
I'm curious how many physical channels most of their handhelds can be programmed for as it may also be an indicator of whether they all have the manager's channel programmed in as a fifth channel or if most handhelds physically only have 4 channel slots. We're definitely getting some decent information on this and I appreciate everyone's contributions. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.