Nat Geo Narc Inc segment feature Meth Cooker and his Scanner App

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHIOSCAN

Yet another reason why scanner feeds will help expedite the end to this great hobby. Last night on the Nat Geo show Drug Inc they did a segment on a Texas Meth cook who used a popular scanner app on his Iphone to monitor and avoid law enforcement. Does anybody really think this kinda garbage is good for the hobby? I really wish those who provide feeds would think about the downside. I appreciate that most providers are doing it to contribute to the hobby, but times have changed. How our hobby has lasted this long has been a miracle, but now that any idiot can listen in we are a bigger target. People are too cheap or stupid to get a real radio too bad. In the past most LE viewed us as minor sub culture small enough not to get in there way. But the easy access to there communications through these smartphone apps really has put the hobby in a negative position. Your delusional if you don't think there are agencies that use these feeds to get funding to encrypt. With the technology getting cheaper every day the reason to not to encrypt grow smaller, why give them another reason. Half the mutants running around Ferguson last week where carrying smartphones many of which surely had feed apps. I know there are a ton of rational arguments why monitoring feeds are not a real aid to the crooks, but when has a politician used rational thought. Sites like Broadcastify refuse to implement technology like delays, but using a 20 minute delay would allow hobbyist to hear the action in a timely matter and it would deny the mutants there heads up. I know this issue has been beaten to death but I see these feeds popping up in negative way more and more.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Violations

I agree with the opinion of the OP. I agree with all points made in the post. I don't see a simple solution to solve the problem. In this day/age of cell phone apps one has to think there are no limits given the abilities available from apps. Years ago when I bought my first scanner I was thinking Wow what can be heard? In those days a basic scanner was pretty expensive making it a decision of cost vs gain. Unfortunately with free app this and free app that there is no thought process that might stop a person from checking it out. The only way to stop the crime element of users is to call your politicians and enact laws that consider the use of scanners and or apps when used in conjunction of a crime are considered accessory to the crime and added charges result. It's a very tough battle but some laws are worth the effort to improve safety for example the use of cell phones while driving is illegal in my state. Enacted last year now very frequently enforced.

I don't think the broadcastify site intends to assist crimes. Nobody reads the policy.
From the terms and use policy Broadcastify

15. VIOLATIONS

Please report any violations of the Terms (except for claims of intellectual property infringement) to the Broadcastify Legal Team at legal@Broadcastify.com

Status
Not open for further replies.