How to go about obtaining radio frequency for portable use

Status
Not open for further replies.

WX4GPS

I have a general question, I was approached by a group of crossing guards who are in need of handheld communication between the 5 units spread out across a 1/2 mile road, cause right now they yell and sometimes can hear each other. They would like to not use FRS as they feel the general public could easily ease in, so they are wanting to know is their an inexpensive way to get a license to use UHF frequency for this purpose. I was thinking GMRS, but it says family members only can use the license.

I figure someone knows what options are out there. Again 5 watt UHF portables is what they can get programmed, and the use is communication for crossing guard/traffic control in a multi school roadway area.

Thanks for any input.

ecps92

The General Radio User public could "ease in" on any conventional radio frequency.
GMRS is just as bad a move as going with FRS (due to the bubble pack radios)

I have a general question, I was approached by a group of crossing guards who are in need of handheld communication between the 5 units spread out across a 1/2 mile road, cause right now they yell and sometimes can hear each other. They would like to not use FRS as they feel the general public could easily ease in, so they are wanting to know is their an inexpensive way to get a license to use UHF frequency for this purpose. I was thinking GMRS, but it says family members only can use the license.

I figure someone knows what options are out there. Again 5 watt UHF portables is what they can get programmed, and the use is communication for crossing guard/traffic control in a multi school roadway area.

Thanks for any input.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
They could always use MURS. Depending on the area there may not be hardly anyone else on it. Plus you have 5 frequencies to work with. But that means UHF is out of the question.

Last edited:

cabletech

If these cross guards are working with a school, check and see if the school system has a radio system and see if there is any way that they can get on that system.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I agree, if they are working under a school, city or other agency, they should follow that route. They would be eligible.

Not sure why they think they need 5 watts to talk over 1/2 a mile of road. That would qualify as overkill.
Why are the concerned about FRS and the public hearing them? This would be a cheap/easy/suitable solution for 1/2 mile communications.

Status
Not open for further replies.