Va Beach, ORION, new Yagi and confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

bep

Premium Subscriber
I finally received a Yagi antenna for the Virginia Beach ORION frequencies. I have had a lot of problem receiving clear signals. I temporally set up a mast and the antenna. Hooked up my Pro-106, set to analyze and started to find the sweet spot. Well I am not sure there is one. At times my signal is in the 90's and then it jumps to the low 80's to high 70's. Making sure I rotated the mast just a little.

I have read where multi-site is many sites, different frequencies, and possibly groups. I believe here in Va. Beach there are several sites, but all have the same frequencies and groups. I am sitting between two of these sites, so I thought this was the problem with my reception.

Any suggestions from you guys and gals on how to properly "aim" the antenna would be appreciated.

Thanks

John

Premium Subscriber
Multiple sites on the SAME frequencies is referred to as Simulcast trunking. That's what we have here in Roanoke. If they were different frequencies from different sites (like STARS) it wouldn't be a problem for the scanner. What causes the problem is when they are on the same frequencies and you start getting signals from more than one site. That's where the Yagi comes in. If you can point it at the strongest site and the gain of the antenna raises that signal enough along with attenuating the signal from the other sites then it should work. It all depends on where the sites are in relation to each other and how much gain you Yagi will provide.

bep

Premium Subscriber
I may have to move this to another forum, if so please do.
Yesterday I went back to my temp antenna setup. With the 106 in hand I got the best signal, mostly in the 90's. When I liked up at where the antenna was pointing it was no where near any reported sites. Could this be a bounced signal?
All this is temporary to see if this antenna works Wilson Electronics 301129 800-900 MHz Yagi Cellular Antenna (301129) from Solid Signal
Eventually it will go on a higher mast with a ST2, all I need is an extra pair of hands.

bep

Premium Subscriber
Wow, that got the gray matter warm. Lots to think about and learn. Not sure I totally understand, but interesting to read. Weather is not cooperating right now, so my temp setup will have to wait. Also the temporary mast did waver a lot and that could be a contributing factor. More work needs to be done for sure.

bep

Premium Subscriber
Finally got back to this issue, since my current reception is declining.
So taking my hand held, in analyze mode, attaching it with a short piece of coax to the antenna. Rotate the antenna so I get as high a % as I can, that should be the "sweet spot". Correct???

Thanks

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
What is the "%" you are measuring with analyze mode? % of decode success, or % of relative signal strength? Either may work, but if the problem is nulling out simulcast/multi-site on a TRS, then you're better off going for best digital decoding.

bep

Premium Subscriber
When hit analyze and tune to the CC, now I 'm not sure what that % is. Should this not be digital decode, how does one do that with a Pro-96?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.