Scanner on a Plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgruber

I have brought and used my scanner on the plane before and know one had a problem with it.

n5ims

Legally you can bring a scanner on the plane (as with many types of radios), but you can't use it while airborne without specific permission by the pilot in charge. If flying commercially, the PIC will not grant permission since they have been instructed by their company to not grant permission. If you're flying on a private plane, they will generally have no problems giving you permission, but will instruct you that if they cause any issues with their equipment you will need to stop using them.

Legalities aside, most receivers will not cause issues with the aircraft (at least ones that could be easily traced back to them directly) and if you're cautious you can easily get away with using them. Be aware, however, that if you're caught using them they may be nice and simply ask you stop or they could cite some federal regulation and have you arrested. Most likely it will be somewhere between these two extremes (more likely closer to the "please stop" side than the land at the closest airport and have you arrested side).

canav844

Generally it's a non-issue to travel with, use in flight is often heavily restricted. Be cautious of the laws about where you end up flying to (or on occasion diverting to). Also usually worth while to make sure you have some headphones so as not alarm fellow passengers post 9/11 and as a general courtesy to keep the noise level down. Makes for excellent watching at the busier airports when you get a terminal with a chair near a good view.

Past threads on the issue with links to good references:
http://forums.radioreference.com/general-scanning-discussion/269555-air-travel-scanners.html

http://forums.radioreference.com/general-scanning-discussion/262362-scanner-airplane.html

http://forums.radioreference.com/ge...n/12541-taking-scanner-airplane-vacation.html

http://forums.radioreference.com/general-scanning-discussion/1000-can-you-take-scanner-airplane.html

http://forums.radioreference.com/general-scanning-discussion/79705-scanner-plane-y-n.html

http://forums.radioreference.com/ai...n-you-bring-your-scanner-airplane-listen.html

http://forums.radioreference.com/aircraft-monitoring-forum/201447-bring-my-scanner-plane.html

ecps92

Open the Back of your Airline Magazine when you get on-board.
Generally one of the back pages will indicate what can and can not be used and when for you particular airline. Each Airline will Vary

OR "Google" and see if your airline has a list.

Example - Delta (Now allows AM/FM/Sat Radios) So, since headphones would be used, the Scanner would likely be allowed !

Personal Electronic Devices (PEDs) | Delta Air Lines Scroll to the WHICH DEVICES CAN I USE DURING ALL PHASES OF FLIGHT?

You may use the following devices from gate to gate on Delta and Delta Connection flights:
• AM/FM or satellite radios
• digital and video cameras
• calculators
• Delta-installed equipment such as in-flight entertainment systems
• DVD players*
• e-readers
• electric shavers
• electronic/digital watches
• global positioning system (GPS) receivers
• handheld computer games
• headphones
• laptop computers*
• medical devices**
• noise reduction headphones
• portable media players*
• pagers
• smartphones and any device with cellular network service must be turned off or in airplane mode
• tablets and wireless keyboards or mouse

PED use on the ground and during takeoff and landing should be limited to small, lightweight devices less than 2 lbs. These devices should be of a size that could easily be secured in a seat pocket without exceeding the designed weight capacity of 3 lbs. including all contents of seat pocket (safety card, Sky magazine, airsickness bag) and not impede emergency egress to the aisle.
* DVD players, laptop computers, and other devices that exceed the size/weight restrictions must be stowed for taxi, takeoff and landing.

Going to be taking a trip in a few weeks.Will they allow a scanner on the plane ? Snowbird

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I flew SouthWest this summer to " RI", put scanner in tray for the "TSA", said turn it on=OK....No problem....On flight boarding captain at door said "please keep your scanner off in flight"= yes sir.....

snowbird

Thanks for all the feed back on this.Will look in to it a little deeper.Wanted to listen to it on the plane only reason I was going to take it.Thanks Snowbird.

ecps92

I've never had TSA notify the Airline or Pilot that I had my radios in my carry-on.
Sounds like a TSA "Hero" going to far.

I flew SouthWest this summer to " RI", put scanner in tray for the "TSA", said turn it on=OK....No problem....On flight boarding captain at door said "please keep your scanner off in flight"= yes sir.....

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
Taking it on the plane there is absolutely no issues at all. Done it numerous times without a word being said. Actually listened to a plane making an emergency landing in Salt Lake City before. Using it on the plane. It is a no no but in all reality it will not hurt anything and I have cut mine on a time or two.

vstream02

I work for an airline...they are not allowed while inflight. I've worked ferry flights not part 121 ops so we are able to do just about anything. Only thing you here is static, wx radio and a few fm stations. Since you are traveling fast nothing sticks around. Of course AM/UHF radio works, I've often heard the pilots on CloseCall, however tower/ground/tracon is no good with a whip inside..

Voyager

I work for an airline...they are not allowed while inflight.

Not true for all airlines. Some will allow them when cruising. I don't think any will allow them on takeoff/landing. When I took a trip, I researched for airlines that did allow their use.

vstream02

Not true for all airlines. Some will allow them when cruising. I don't think any will allow them on takeoff/landing. When I took a trip, I researched for airlines that did allow their use.
which airlines? Def not SW, Airtran for sure. Since you can now use your PEDS during all phases of flight why would you not be allowed to use for takeoff? You can keep your ipad/cellphone on but not a scanner?

*edit* Not united either

Devices that are NOT permitted for use:

battery-operated personal air-purifying devices
TVs
radio receivers and/or transmitters (including AM/FM/SW, CB and scanners)
remote-control toys

SCPD

QRT
I've never had TSA notify the Airline or Pilot that I had my radios in my carry-on.

That or another issue. Believe it or not allot of pilots are scanner hobbyists. With some making well decent income I know two who have dream man caves with latest miltiple ham gear, multiple scanners, computers and more when they have down time.

KB7MIB

Or he had it on his belt, in his hand, or otherwise in plain site for the captain to see?

John
Peoria, AZ

snowbird

Looking at all the replys, I will be leaving my scanner at home and will be listing to my Ipod, Not worth causing any problems. Don't want to be a marked man LOL. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I knew you guys would know. Snowbird.

KB0VWG

When I travel i usually have all the radios in a carry on backpack And usually I pack a mobile dual band radio, Sometime 2 HT radios and a portable scanner and never a problem.
kb0vwg
wqoi992

bailly2

If you think they might be suspicious and tell you to put it away, why
Not get a shortwave radio with airband or an FM broadcast portable with
Airband ? Plausible deniability.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Scanner on plane

I usually travel with a scanner and a couple of HTs. I have had no problems with TSA, and I do not attempt to use them in the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.