HP-1 is pretty much deaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

VFN05

Hello all,

I have a HP-1 and can't get it to receive any local P25 systems unless I am pretty much within a mile of the tower and also using an external antenna. My current location is within 5 miles of two different P25 systems (Virginia Beach and Norfolk, VA). I'm thinking it may be time to send this in for repair, but I am open to suggestions before doing so. Here is what I have tried so far:
-5 different antennas, both rubber duck and external types. Best luck so far has been with a mag mount dual band ham antenna with a SMA to BNC adapter while parked very close to the site.
-Squelch is set to 0 (no bars visible)
-Attenuation is off
-Range is set to 30 miles
-I have tried Firmware 2.03, 2.05 and the 2.06 beta. None have worked
-Database has been updated to 11/2/2014

At my house I have a 996, a PRO-106, a PRO-197 and a Motorola XTS2500. All of these decode the systems 100% with just telescoping "set back" antennas.

Any suggestions? This unit has been used on a desk with exception of temporarily putting it in the truck for troubleshooting purposes.

Thanks in advance,
Jason

tumegpc

I would put the squelch back to 2 and then check and see how well you can receive weather. There is a reset button under the batteries that you can try. You will need something small like a paper clip to access it.

rcool101

Feed Provider
Did you put either of these systems in a Favorite List and try them? Only way I use my HP-1E

Voyager

Also make sure you have the correct Service Types enabled for what you want to hear.

VFN05

All good suggestions. Thank You all. I have tried all of these to no avail. Also, I probably should have mentioned in the initial post. The weather channel only shows 1 bar intermittently on the signal meter. If I listen to the control channel manually, it intermittently decodes the system ID but the control channel is barely audible above the squelch.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
All good suggestions. Thank You all. I have tried all of these to no avail. Also, I probably should have mentioned in the initial post. The weather channel only shows 1 bar intermittently on the signal meter. If I listen to the control channel manually, it intermittently decodes the system ID but the control channel is barely audible above the squelch.
Do you have any other transmitters close to you? I would think that any outside interference would affect one or more of your other scanners as well, but it's worth asking.

My HP-1 works very well (as does the HP-2), so there is always the outside chance of an internal problem in the scanner in your case.

rcool101

Feed Provider
Send it in...My biggest complaint and prolly the only one is how the radio sits at a 45 degree angle and antenna connection at a 90 degree angle with a cheap plastic stand on a desktop. God forbid if you change antennas and connections. It will stick out 2 inches and then your asking for a problem

Last edited:

rcool101

Feed Provider
Is it under warranty still? Regardless I would send it and print out your post at the top of this thread and tape it to it

VFN05

Nope, no other transmitters nearby. I temporarily placed it in my truck and had similar issues. It would work if I was VERY close to the transmitter site (within about a mile), but even then was performing marginally. I have been able to isolate the issue to this specific unit vs. an environmental issue. I was just hoping that maybe there was a software setting or something else specific to the HP-1 that I had overlooked.

Sounds like it is time for a trip to Uniden.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Jason

Voyager

Nope, no other transmitters nearby. I temporarily placed it in my truck and had similar issues. It would work if I was VERY close to the transmitter site (within about a mile), but even then was performing marginally. I have been able to isolate the issue to this specific unit vs. an environmental issue. I was just hoping that maybe there was a software setting or something else specific to the HP-1 that I had overlooked.

Sounds like it is time for a trip to Uniden.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Jason

Double-check the Attenuator setting (make sure it's off). Otherwise, I suspect a bad antenna connection.

C

cj1223

i'm having the same problem with my HP-1 i'ma send mine for Repair next monday and get a replacement one

ansky

i'm having the same problem with my HP-1 i'ma send mine for Repair next monday and get a replacement one

Did you try reformatting your SD card? I had a similar problem with my HP-2 where it would not stop on any frequencies. I cleared all user data from the scanner, reloaded all my favorites from Sentinel, and everything was fine after that.

rwier

Premium Subscriber
..... there is always the outside chance of an internal problem ...

That's my bet also. Sounds like his HP-1 reception is like mine when the antennas are disconnected. Wasn't there a scanner that had multiple cases of a "break" in the input just inside the case? Just needed a drop of solder or a screw tightened? A few years back, bad memory, lol.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
That's my bet also. Sounds like his HP-1 reception is like mine when the antennas are disconnected. Wasn't there a scanner that had multiple cases of a "break" in the input just inside the case? Just needed a drop of solder or a screw tightened? A few years back, bad memory, lol.
That was the GRE manufactured PSR-500's and the Pro-106's that were sold through Radio Shack.

txff5150

Premium Subscriber
My HP-1 went "deaf" a couple of months ago and i found the sma connector had a bad solder connection internally. I repaired that (do not attempt unless you have experience with this type of repair) and after putting it back together found that she was still not receiving a thing. Downloaded the SD Formatter program and after following everyone's instructions about reformatting and clearing data (basically wiping the card) then reloading everything my HP-1 is working better than ever.I am actually picking up channels I never heard before and tried to get. I now have a spare micro SD card sitting nearby loaded and ready to go incase I have any more issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.