J-pole interference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter_x

Premium Subscriber
I read you should not place J-poles close to metal objects, but I am not sure if this is ok. The "J" part is completely over the rain cover.

And yes, I actually passed the coax down the chimney but I am planning to use an electrical service weatherhead to go through the roof.

For some reason the top brick I tried to drill through was much harder than the others and my masonary/mortar bit (forget what it is called exactly) couldn't handle it. I relocated that clamp (everything is soldered). Just wanted to mention that in case anyone tries this.

Thanks.

Last edited:

doublescan

jpole int

Doubt that chimney cap will hurt much, but if you use the fireplace the heat and creosote that builds up from burning wood probably will do your coax in before very long! Never tried to attach anything to a masonry chimney myself-things tend to shatter when I get close with a hammer drill, lol. Let us know how the reception works out with the j-pole.

majoco

Stirrer
Not actually very happy about all the cracks in the mortar and your antenna primarily fixed to one brick! :)

You can get straps and corner pieces to go round a chimney and then have a short stub sticking out from the brickwork to mount your antenna on - whether they are available in US I wouldn't have a clue!

Dis fella is Oirish but the principle is the same....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w6aQyvukwA

Last edited:

MisterLongwire

Amateur radio operator/QC tech for radio mfr.
Banned
A. The installation looks scary. Sorry. No way in (bleep) are those few screws going to hold up the mast no matter how light everything weighs
B. Why in the heck are you putting coax down the chimney? Really...
C. No comment...I'm sorry if I sound like the world's biggest jerk but before I would put anything up check out other peoples installations and work from there. Yup this is a forum...I put my 5 cents in without harsh words...

MisterLongwire

Amateur radio operator/QC tech for radio mfr.
Banned
This is mine....cement blocked on bottom(not seen) and eye bolted to eve at edge of roof....base of antenna is 3 feet up from roof so VERY LITTLE WIND RESISTANCE. Total height is 18 feet at base of antenna. I live in San Diego county so no blizzards...ice storms...tornados...sunamis....etc.

chekoz77

Premium Subscriber
You need to install a couple chimney straps. They can be bought for around 25 bucks for a set.

bd1223e1ba18b54600c00666e3f0f3ab.jpg

n4yek

B. Why in the heck are you putting coax down the chimney? Really...

I don't see a problem using the chimney as a way to get coax into the house, if the chimney isn't in use then why not?
I would put a dip in the coax before entering the chimney so water drips off before entering the house.
chekoz77 does have the best way to mount the j-pole, that way you aren't putting stress on a small spot.

peter_x

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all the replies.

Like I said I am going to use a weatherhead entrance for the coax. I'm just not sure whether to have the weatherhead low on the roof with the coax running down to it or have the pipe come up the side of the chimney a bit so less coax is exposed. I'm thinking to run the pipe up especially as I might want to add another antenna later on, there won't be multiple wires running down the side of the chimney.

I know I didn't mount it like I wanted to but I think those straps might be overkill. I am going to try to drill through that top brick again, though. No argument there. As it is, even that connector with one screw is holding it (the straps are soldered). I forgot to mention it's only a 2 meter j-pole.

As for the grounding, there seems to be debate on the internet whether you should ground a j-pole. More people seem to say no than yes. I don't know...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.