YAESU VX-6R TRIBAND vs Kenwood TH-F6A TRIBAND

Status
Not open for further replies.

WB2MVM

Hello,

I may be wrong, but as best as I could determine, I figured my question/issue fit best in this forum (I apologize in advance if it doesn't).

I'm still new to the hobby, and currently have BaoFeng UV-5R & UV-3R radios that I'm happy with. However, I'd like to "move up" from dual band HT to tri-band (possibly quad-band) HT, and I'd like to get some input about the Yaesu VX-6R vs Kenwood TH-F6A.

From what I've heard/read/seen so far about these two tri-bands, the overall ratings are equally good. But the significant difference between these two radios is that the Kenwood offers up to 5W power for all three bands, whereas the Yaesu only offers a max of 1.5W on the 222mHz band (of course, the price difference--Kenwood being more expensive--seems to correspond accordingly to that difference).

I guess my question is: Does that power difference at the 222mHz really matter, i.e., would it depend more on what I'dd be doing as a HAM operator at that frequency, to want to get a triband that has 5W on all three bands?

Sincerely,

WB2MVM

P.S.: BTW, I noticed that the quad-band Yaesu VX-8D also has that "dip" in power, at the 222 mHz frequency.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
Check out the reviews for both hand helds on E-ham.com. The reviews are offered from every day users of the equipment and give their honest take on things. I have an Icom IC-T70A which is a dual band with multiple power settings. It got decent reviews on e-ham and also from the ARRL lab. If you don't get many replies here you may want to try this on the Amateur Radio board.

LesWurk

You should check if there are repeaters and any activity on 222. Both radios have survived for a long time so at least the bugs must be well known.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I own both radios. I currently prefer the Yaesu for the following reasons:

1. Rugged and submersible.
2. Better receiver in terms of spurious rejection.
3. Drop in charger available.
4. Available submersible mic.

Pluses to consider for Kenwood.

1. Dual receive.
2. 5 watts on all bands.

220 performance may be a deciding factor. I have no issues hitting local 220 repeaters with 1.5 watts, but I suggest getting an after market tri-band antenna for either radio as the stock antennas are not too good on any band. I use the Diamond SRH-320A.

If you have the programming cable, you can get the VX-6 Commander programming software for free.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
+1 on the VX6R also. I do not have the TH-F6 but as said if a full 5 watts for 222 mhz. isn't needed and if not interested in the BFO then I suggest the VX6.

...It can also be modded for 4 bands to include 6meters if interested. ;)

n9zas

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
This might be better in the Amateur radio equipement forum unless the OP is asking only about the scanning function. I have both but use the VX-6R more. Since I use a lot of Yaesu, I find their programming much easier. But reading reviews of all radios, some find Kenwood easier to program. I would not touch the CCRs. The F6 is lighter and a little smaller than 6R and again, depending on size of hands, some find small keypads hard to use. F6 is dual band. As other say check eHam. Also, as this is an amateur radio, check the posts in the Amateur radio section as it has already been discussed there. Like here: http://forums.radioreference.com/amateur-radio-equipment/291720-kenwood-th-f6a-vs-yaesu-vx-6r.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.