GRE PSR800

Status
Not open for further replies.

markandjere

Premium Subscriber
Looks like I will be getting a "new to me" 800 this holiday season. I looked over the unit and it looks gently used and cared for. I wanted to ask those who have one what they thought if you found another 80 for a decent price would you still buy it with the other options that are out there ?

RDGDigital

I'd buy one again, but it would depend on the price. Since Whistler now makes the WS1080 I'd want that first unless I could get a good price on another PSR-800.

troymail

Silent Key
It can't be beat in my opinion... Takes a bit of getting used to with no keypad but it receives better than any radio I've owned (except possibly the PSR500 which I give a very close 2nd). It struggles with digital simulcast and that's the one thing my Uniden x36 radios do better (but only slightly).

If GRE came back and/or Whistler releases a new radio with the same/better features and quality, I'll be first in line.

markandjere

Premium Subscriber
Thanks everyone. I have always wanted one but finances would not allow me to buy a new one then. I remember all the reports on the 800 some good some not so good. Then the folding and selling of GRE and the new line of scanners which I can't justify buying at this time. This one will be added to my collection in a few weeks.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
It is in my opinion one of the best radios on the market .. and only equaled by the new Whistler models.

I have a Uniden 436HP and it is a piece of junk compared to the PSR800.

IowaGuy1603

markandjere;2298450 I wanted to ask those who have one what they thought if you found another 80 for a decent price would you still buy it with the other options that are out there ?[/QUOTE said:
Without question..................................I own 2 and would love another one or two

W3DMV

The one I own is about two years old and if another became available
at a reasonable price, I would get another one.
For me the bottom line is how well it receives. I have half a dozen other
hand-helds by Uniden and AOR, but the 800's ability to hear weak signals
is much better. I do miss the key pad and it's a little awkward using this
receiver on trips since it's harder to add frequencies on the fly.
If your thing is all kinds of fancy gizmo's, and making the receiver impress
your friends, then this is not the best choice. If your intentions are to hear
signals, then this is a good pick.
I live in a area where front end overload is seldom a problem and most
systems here are still on VHF-L where this receiver leaves others in the
dust. If you live downtown in a RF saturated area the hot front end
could pose problems with overload but then the attenuator can be used.
Knowing the area your in Markjere, think you would be happy with the
receiver.. If not, shoot me a e-mail and I'l be happy to purchase it from you.
.. Good luck

SCPD

QRT
Have owned one since its release, would definitely jump on another at a decent price!

bailly2

if the whistler 1080 is the same thing and handles lsm simulcast disortion better i would probably get that. or the uniden bcd536 which also has audio recording and handles simulcast distortion better. would have to read the reviews on that uniden.

besides that the psr 800 is the best scanner i've ever owned. the audio recording is very convenient, except for recording encrypted transmissions. vhf sensitivity is amazing, easily pick up transmission from 40 miles away. first scanner i've owned that does search lockouts, which can save you from popping a tylenol.

AC2OY

I will never sell my 800! I just hope they keep the updates going I'm not that computer savvy to try get the GRE PSR 800 to talk to the Whistler software!

rwier

" ... get the GRE PSR 800 to talk to the Whistler software ... "

There is another thread or two indicating that the above is a REALLY BAD idea!

mancow

Database Admin
It can't be beat in my opinion... Takes a bit of getting used to with no keypad but it receives better than any radio I've owned (except possibly the PSR500 which I give a very close 2nd). It struggles with digital simulcast and that's the one thing my Uniden x36 radios do better (but only slightly).

If GRE came back and/or Whistler releases a new radio with the same/better features and quality, I'll be first in line.

My experience exactly.

DonS

" ... get the GRE PSR 800 to talk to the Whistler software ... "

There is another thread or two indicating that the above is a REALLY BAD idea!
The "really bad idea" part is trying to update a PSR-800's firmware from the WS1080 PC software. You'll brick your PSR-800, until you install the real PSR-800 PC software and update the firmware from there.

A "slightly less bad idea" is trying to use the WS1080 PC software to send configuration files to a PSR-800. Some things will work a little less optimally - like your RSSI indicator.

Pro94Pdx

Premium Subscriber
I haven't updated my PSR 800 since the summer. If I update the software through EZ Scan, am I assuming correctly that it will automatically update with the new PSR 800 software, and not the Whistler one? Also, last I heard, PSR 800 owners will only be able to program using Radio Reference and EZ Scan through the end of 2014, after which GRE's contract with Don S runs out. Does anyone know if Don S plans to sell a new programming software of his own, so we can still program the PSR 800 using Radio Reference? Or will there be some other way to keep using the EZ Scan in 2015? My apologies if this has already been addressed in other forums. I searched but can't find the answer. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. PS: Don S, I don't know if you'll be able to reply to this or not, but I really appreciate all you've done for the scanning community, and I really hope there's a way somehow to "keep these 800s alive and well."

DonS

I haven't updated my PSR 800 since the summer. If I update the software through EZ Scan, am I assuming correctly that it will automatically update with the new PSR 800 software, and not the Whistler one?

The PSR-800 PC software will only update your PSR-800 with PSR-800 firmware.

Also, last I heard, PSR 800 owners will only be able to program using Radio Reference and EZ Scan through the end of 2014, after which GRE's contract with Don S runs out.

All of the GRE/Whistler scanners that download RR database info via a GRE/Whistler/RadioShack-supplied PC app (PSR-700, PRO-107, PSR-800, PRO-18, WS1080, PRO-668) get their data from the same place. Since I'm now updating the data for the WS1080 and PRO-668, the older GRE scanners will still get data.

Pro94Pdx

Premium Subscriber
Really great to hear! Thanks for the reply, Don. I love my PSR 800, and I just bought it a year ago. Was really hoping it would be one I could use for a long time, and it looks like now I'll be able to. Can't afford a new one yet anyway, so I really appreciate the fact that I can still program and use it beyond the end of the year.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
I'd be on the fence about another one to be honest. It would depend on the price.

I REALLY hate the fact it has no keypad since I still do as much programming as I can by hand (I programmed my 396XT and 99XT all 100% by hand, using the software only to create backups in case of a memory issue). I'm picking up a new BCD436HP that will be hand programmed as well because it has the FULL KEYPAD.
I also really really hate the way it scans priority channels vs the way the Unidens do.

But even with those inconveniences if I needed a replacement for my PSR800 and found a used one at the right price I would still pick it up in a heartbeat. For all the things I think the Unidens do better this has just as many that it beats the Unidens in. The ability to pick up frequencies I haven't picked up in years plus the way it scans a lot of trunked systems would still make it a very good pickup to me.

scosgt

The "secret" to using in while traveling is to use the V scanner function. Just make a new configuration for each place you intend to pass through, and it is way easy to change out on the fly.

For example, if entering the PA Turnpike from NJ and going all the way out to Ohio, just make a conventional scan list with ALL the PASP and PA Tpk freqs. Then make a V scanner for Eastern PA with the County and local stuff, and ALL the conventional, make one for the next county etc. So each folder will have all the Statewide stuff, and you just switch V scanners as you pass through different areas. It works great, I did Bucks County and Montgomery County over the weekend in two separate V folders.

Status
Not open for further replies.