Creating Favorites List

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishMac

Just purchased a BCD536HP Uniden scanner. Main reason we purchased this scanner was the "Enter Zip Code" function. Though this function works great, we have discovered what we want to listen to here in Independence, MO. (Kansas City) is primarily a P25 trunk system. If we understood the manual correctly, one has to create a "favorites list" using the Sentinel software. We've watched the U tube videos on how to do this more than 10 times now. We finally got the program to "write to scanner" and it shows up as a favorites list option but won't scan anything. If anyone knows where else a video can be found or another suggestion on how to proceed, this would be deeply appreciated. The manual is pretty useless to us seeing we don't understand most of the terms used. This is why we have been watching the U tube videos and have learned some useful things but not when it comes to creating a favorites list for the Independence Police Dept. and Public Safety. We're missing something in these U tube videos. A step that must be the factor in our not getting the program to scan. Any suggestions are welcome!!!
Thank You and Have a Blessed and Quality Day
IrishMac-Patrick

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Just purchased a BCD536HP Uniden scanner. Main reason we purchased this scanner was the "Enter Zip Code" function. Though this function works great, we have discovered what we want to listen to here in Independence, MO. (Kansas City) is primarily a P25 trunk system. If we understood the manual correctly, one has to create a "favorites list" using the Sentinel software. We've watched the U tube videos on how to do this more than 10 times now. We finally got the program to "write to scanner" and it shows up as a favorites list option but won't scan anything. If anyone knows where else a video can be found or another suggestion on how to proceed, this would be deeply appreciated. The manual is pretty useless to us seeing we don't understand most of the terms used. This is why we have been watching the U tube videos and have learned some useful things but not when it comes to creating a favorites list for the Independence Police Dept. and Public Safety. We're missing something in these U tube videos. A step that must be the factor in our not getting the program to scan. Any suggestions are welcome!!!
Thank You and Have a Blessed and Quality Day
IrishMac-Patrick

Some good reading links to click on that should help...

Things to check if your favorites lists aren't scanning anything:

http://forums.radioreference.com/un...4-x36-nothing-scan-checklist.html#post2121181

An easier to read manual for your scanner.

An easier to read manual for the Sentinel software.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You don't "have" to create a Favorites List. You can do your scanning from the database/zip code and things should work.

Favorites Lists are collections of just those things that you wish to hear. More refinement than anything.

That being said, if you wish, you can export your Favorites List to an HPE file and post it. A look can be taken at it to see if anything jumps out.

In Sentinel, go under the File Tab>Export to HPE file, then choose the Favorites List. After that, use your Windows explorer to find that HPE file you created, (You'll see the destination in the Save As window). Next, using Windows Explorer Send that newly created HPE file to a Compressed (zipped) folder. Once that is done, you can attach it to a reply in this forum using Manage Attachments.

IrishMac

Thanks for responding! The zip code function works on areas outside the area of where we live. We live in the heart of Kansas City and their on a system called MARRS.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Startup keys is an optional feature, meaning you can use it, but if you choose not to program anything as startup keys, the scanner functions as usual.

From the manual:

STARTUP KEYS
You can program each of your Favorites Lists with a Startup Key (0-9) so that when you power up the scanner and press the key number, just those Favorites List(s) assigned to the key will be enabled for scan. Systems are not affected. See also Using Startup Keys.

To Use a Startup Key:
1. Turn the scanner off.
2. Press and hold the number key that corresponds to the startup key when you turn the scanner on.
3. Continue holding the number key until the scanner display shows the number of the startup key configuration When you use Startup Configuration, the scanner checks all Favorites Lists and:
1. Favorites whose Startup Key matches the one the user pressed are changed to Monitor Status On.
2. Favorites whose Startup Key Does Not match the one the user pressed are changed to Monitor Status Off.
Caution: If you press the wrong key when you press the power key to set your startup configuration, and that wrong key doesn’t have any Favorites Lists assigned to that key, you will start up your scanner with all systems Avoided-Nothing to Scan.

IrishMac

Programming BCD536HP

Thank you for responding to my question about programming for P25. After reading more and talking with others in Independence, Mo. it appears you are correct about the encrypted Police and fire depts. However, I've been told it is possible to hear "talk groups" in Independence, MO. and that these sometimes consist of an "Open" P25 police channel. Have you heard anything like this? When I asked them how to program this into my scanner, I was told that picking it up is totally accidental. Hmmmm? In the mean time I'm still trying to program the Kansas City Police channels which are using the EDACS system. I'm getting closer. I at least got it to transfer from my Sentinel software on my PC to my scanner but can't get the scanner to actually scan the frequencies I've entered. Still doing something wrong or leaving out a step. Can't get it figured out watching the U Tube videos either.
Thanks again, IrishMac-Patrick

IrishMac

still having issues

I'm still trying to program a favorites list using Sentinel. I've been able to get the list to my scanner from PC but nothing ever scans. I did this using the "conventional" mode and was entering frequencies, Ex: 155.540. When I try to create another favorites list using anything but 'conventional', like P25 and EDACS, a frequency tab doe not appear. My question,(besides my not getting this right) is P25 and EDACS system don't require a frequency to be put in? And if I try again using the "conventional' mode, will this pick up P25 and EDACS channels? I'm asking because most everything I've read says the Kansas City Mo. police dept. and fire dept. use the EDACS P25 phase 1. I'm at a loss of what to try next.
Thank you for any help you can give me and if you know of a site other than U Tube to watch tutorial videos on how to program a favorites list, PLEASE TELL ME!!! I've been trying to get this favorites list to work for nearly a month now. I've watched every video on U Tube and taken notes but missing something still.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
for P25 Trunked and EDACS systems (well, for any trunked system), frequencies are entered into the "SITES" for the system. Create a site and enter the frequencies there.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
IrishMac, I've merged your two threads together since the latest is a continuation of the first.

IrishMac

Sorry about that Mike. I'm still trying to get the hang of this and follow the rules and such. Can you tell me where to get an updated list of KCMO Police frequencies? The ones I've been entering are listed as possibly being "deprecated" and possibly not in use any longer. Thank You

phask

Premium Subscriber
You can get them here on RR , but Sentinel has the exact same data if you have updated it.

Missouri Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference - then click on which county(s). It will show (maybe) depreciated ones - that's the one difference

It easier - IMHO - to use the append feature in Sentinel, then add or change what you want.

Sorry about that Mike. I'm still trying to get the hang of this and follow the rules and such. Can you tell me where to get an updated list of KCMO Police frequencies? The ones I've been entering are listed as possibly being "deprecated" and possibly not in use any longer. Thank You

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
The KC EDACS system has long ago been shut down. The MARRS system consists of several systems all of which are Motorola P25 simulcast (KCMO, JOCO, Wyandotte County, Platte County, and Eastern Jackson County also known as Independence) Look in the database and you will find all the systems that compose the MARRS system. Each system has their own talk groups with the MARRS talk groups showing up on all the individual systems. This allows units in the entire Metro region to talk to each other on the MARRS talk groups even if they are out of range of their home system.
BB

Status
Not open for further replies.