Pro-668???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haley

Was just on the RS website. Not much info, says it does P25 (DID not SAY phase 1-OR-2). Looks like the PSR800/Whistler/iScan family. Maybe RS version of the new Whistler? Mike

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Was just on the RS website. Not much info, says it does P25 (DID not SAY phase 1-OR-2). Looks like the PSR800/Whistler/iScan family. Maybe RS version of the new Whistler? Mike

According to the owner's manual, it does receive phase 2.

Haley

You are right------I swear It wasn't there earlier. BUT, now on the product page their is a large write up on it! So one more place to get a Phase ll scanner. Mike

Haley

Kind of curious, did anyone else notice this scanner on the RS website earlier? I check probably at least once a week, and never saw it. I could have missed it though LOL! Mike

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
@rbarker -
I can answer since I have both the Pro96 & the WS1080 same as *Pro668 except for ISCAN software name vs EZScan with the WS1080. The trunked systems now are getting past what the Pro96 is capable of. The last Pro96 firmware was U1.4 and none since. This is a 10 year old radio. Trying to monitor P25 800mhz systems is getting more and more difficult. The one I listen to has this Loud BRAAAAAAAT when it changes talk-groups from time to time. It's very irritating. It's started doing that as newer systems are being pushed. Pro668 will not be like that. It'll be nice a smooth and quiet, no noise. The Pro96 can't get TDMA talk groups on a trunked system. This would be your City Admin channels and Fire ground talk groups and other channels of the city. Pro96 is a Phase 1 scanner and doesn't get Phase 2. It only does 800mhz and not both 800mhz&700mhz like the Pro668 and WS1080/PSR800. My Pro96 has a limit of talk-groups per trunked system ON that Bank. You have to Lock out the one's you don't want to hear. You run out of space and get "memory full" no matter what. With the Pro668 you'll get object oriented scan lists with no talk group limits. YOU can download exactly what you want to hear through the RRef data base through IScan menus. No open or closed BANKS to worry about. You can add a Wildcard to your trunked system if you still want to hear ALL Talk groups on that system, but you'll hear mostly encrypted tones. That's one other bounus for the new Pro668. YOU can choose what encrypted noise you want to hear IF you choose to listen to those talk groups..."silent, tone *busy tone* and NOISE" Pro96 was a great scanner for it's time. I still use mine but mostly for Conventional frequencies nearby and some digital Chicago FIRE stuff. It's mainly the WS1080 now. It's much smoother monitoring the same Trunked system than my Pro96. Pro668 will be a great scanner and any new systems in the future will be an easy upgrade since everything is on the MicroSD cards. 300$ is a great price. There's not much it can't do

Last edited by a moderator:

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I disagree about the wildcards being mostly encrypted, at least in the Toledo area. I hear normal traffic on the wildcards almost daily, and I save most of them, and this is after having had my 106 and PSR-500s for many years. My only complaint so far about the 668 is the slight "popping" noise it makes when the audio amp goes on and off. There is one talkgroup on MARCS that for some reason mutes a lot when mobiles key up, and the 668 goes (It's very soft), "pop-pop-pop.Ok, starting milage 42.7..pop..pop". Annoying, but not hugely so.

coolrich55

Problem with pro 668 driver

I'm trying to connect my scanner to my pc but all it says is the driver for my 668 was not installed. I've tried everything that I can think of. Any ideas?

coolrich55

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I had to do something special with my pc settings to get my
BC125AT driver to work so my computer would read it. Can't remember exactly what I did but it worked whatever it was.

2006walt

Premium Subscriber
Question on pro668 iScan software to upload to PC. Just received pro668 and want to install iSCAN to PC and avoid corrupting the SD card. Do I have the scanner power turned OFF BEFORE plugging the scanner to the PC via USB cable? Once the UCB is plugged to the PC do I next turn the scanner power ON? This procedure is not explained in the manual and I do not want to screw up the SD card.
Thanks

dkf435

First thing I did with my 668 was to put the card in an adapter and copy whole directory to the PC to save, then I burned a copy to CD and put another copy on a second SD card and then I ran the program to install program and drivers.

David Kb7uns

baayers

baayers

If you are using Windows 8 / 8.1 you probably will need to disable the mandatory requirement for driver signing that is imposed by default. Here is a link to a thread I started in the GRE / Whistler forum.

http://forums.radioreference.com/gre-scanners/298161-ws1080-win-8-8-1-driver-instructions.html

Please excuse the self quoting as time ran out for me to update my last post.

If you are following the information from the first post in the thread I linked you too you should be good however I do not believe the drivers that are on Whistler's website that are discussed in later posts will work.

sigint1

Was: joking
Please excuse the self quoting as time ran out for me to update my last post.

If you are following the information from the first post in the thread I linked you too you should be good however I do not believe the drivers that are on Whistler's website that are discussed in later posts will work.

I just bought a 668 and had to disable the driver enforcement - loaded drivers afterwards and iscan running with no problems

Blackswan73

That is odd, mine had a firmware update. Yours must be from a more recent date, but my 668 has a 2015 date code. Did you manually check for update after connecting your radio to your PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.