scanner question

Status
Not open for further replies.

m00ler03

Feed provider
Hi, i own a uniden bearcat bct8 scanner, and i would like to listen to the surrounding counties, but im unable to as it doesnt come in at all

i live in lafayette county in Wisconsin.

would i need a different scanner (digital) to be able to listen to surrounding counties? or would i need a better antenna for the scanner?

thanks!

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
At the top of this page click on "Databases", then on your state, then your county of interest. Locate the frequencies/system your county of interest uses. If you see "P25" or "D" in the Mode column they are digital. Also if you see APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive as system voice or Project 25 as system type those are digital systems.

If you see FM or FMN or a system type of Motorola Type II Smartnet (analog) those are non-digital unless they contain on of the descriptions in the paragraph above.

Last edited:

m00ler03

Feed provider
ok thank you for the reply, looks like the counties im interested in are FM and FMN, so still analog, so i should be good because i just want the fire/ems dispatch for the counties im interested in.

there is a APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive, but i dont think i would use that.

so it looks like i need a new antenna

m00ler03

Feed provider
ok you edited your post when i was replying.

System Name: Wisconsin Interoperable System for Communications (WISCOM)
County: Statewide
System Type: Project 25 Phase I
System Voice: APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive
Last Updated: December 4, 2014, 5:20 pm (Added Talkgroup 8017 Life Link III Operations

so with that info right there, i need a digital scanner?

dmg1969

Grant County appears to be conventional while Iowa County utilizes WISCOM (statewide P-25 digital radio system). It appears that Dane County is migrating to their own P-25 system (DANECOM) and Green County appears to also be conventional. So at least two of your neighbors are P-25 Phase 1. So I will invest in a digital. If you want to hedge your bets against anybody going to P-25 Phase 2, you will want one of the newer x36 Unidens or the new Uniden HomePatrol 2.

N8IAA

ok you edited your post when i was replying.

System Name: Wisconsin Interoperable System for Communications (WISCOM)
County: Statewide
System Type: Project 25 Phase I
System Voice: APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive
Last Updated: December 4, 2014, 5:20 pm (Added Talkgroup 8017 Life Link III Operations

Lafayette county is conventional. The counties surrounding you have very limited TG's on the WISCOM system. If you are looking for a handheld unit, the BC-125AT would make a good scanner. If you are looking for a base unit, the Uniden 355N will work well for your area.
These scanners will get you into scanning at a low dollar amount and ease of programming. When you get used to programming, maybe a 396XT, or a RS Pro-651 for the digital.
You might also want to read the WI state forum for updates for your area.
HTH,
Larry

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
would i need a different scanner (digital) to be able to listen to surrounding counties? or would i need a better antenna for the scanner?

I would say the antenna is the most likely candidate if you're talking about the counties like Grant County, Green County, or Jo Daviess County, IL. If you're using a stock antenna out of the box, then you will be limited to the best the antenna can do in receiving things around you. The general rule for scanning is trying to get a good antenna as high and least obstructed as possible to be able to hear the most traffic.

Yep, you would need something that can do P25 Phase I if you were interested in monitoring the counties to the north of you. It would probably be good for you to verify that you could actually Iowa County by programming the red control channel frequencies found on Wisconsin Interoperable System for Communications (WISCOM) for the sites located in the county and verify that you can hear the control channel clearly. It basically sounds like this audio sample. Dodgeville (153.215 MHz) would be the closest site in Iowa County. Highland (139.3625 MHz) and Blue Mounds (139.3125 MHz) might be in better places for reception. If you cannot hear these clearly, then it would be rather pointless to get a digital scanner. Across the state border, Stephenson County, IL seems to be on STARCOM21, which is a P25 Phase II capable system (many things are still operating in Phase I).

If you're looking to shop for a digital scanner, there are plenty on the market ranging from new to used. You will probably want to shop around and verify that they will monitor your system correctly and have the functionality you want. So far, a P25 Phase I scanner will sufficiently cover the surrounding counties, but Dave has a point that the Phase II scanners will be a little more future proof. I have included a comprehensive list below of all the P25 scanners on the market, including both Phase I and Phase II. It also wouldn't be bad to check out the Wisconsin Radio Discussion Forum like Larry mentioned to get a feel for changes happening locally.

Phase II Scanners:
Note: Phase II scanners are backwards compatible and support Phase I.

• Portable/Handheld:
  • Base/Mobile:
    • Current Model:
    • Future Model (Not Yet Sold):
      • Whistler WS1095 [Base/Mobile version of the WS1080]

Phase I Scanners:

m00ler03

Feed provider
thanks for the replies, the counties im interested in are grant and green, not really interested in iowa county. so it looks like the 3 counties are still conventional and no need for a digital scanner..yet

what kind of antenna setup would i need to be able to listen to the other 2 counties?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I believe the state patrol is migrating to the Wiscom system, if you are interested in listening to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.