Quiet Audio on Feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

csteines

Feed Provider
Hello,

I am hosting a feed for FD audio from Madison, CT. I am using two BC355C scanners to provide a stereo feed with out dispatch frequency, and one of the fireground frequencies.

I have noticed myself, and received several complaints that the audio is extremely low. The BC355C only has an external speaker output and I am running the audio into the Line-In of a PCI sound card on the computer.

I have tried cranking the audio up on the scanners and have the levels to 100% on the computer as well. Listening to the scanner alone, I have clear, loud audio, but from the line-in on the computer's speakers, I get the low audio, which then continues through the stream.

Any thoughts on how to increase the volume?

Thanks in advance!

This should be very easy.

For Radio Feed application

1. on your Source Client tab of your feed, open the windows mixer
2.double click the microphone
3.go to LEVEL tab and slide it up a little, wait a few seconds for the delay to pass and listen to your feed.
Adjust the level as needed, do not mess with microphone boost

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Digital AudioLevel Meter

Make sure to set your RECORD level properly, not PLAYBACK level.

I monitor the sound level of my scanners with this digital level meter. I run the software and then adjust the scanner volume as well as the input settings to the computer for best result. The level on the scanner should not be too high or too low. I also find some sound cards have an automatic level, which can produce interesting results when the level is not properly set.

Blind_Shadow

Feed Provider
gmclam ::

" monitor the sound level of my scanners with this digital level meter "

Did you put in the rigth ur for the ' digital level meter ' ?

Reason I asked, do they still have it or is it an old meter that is no longer available for download. I could not get a web page for it. Went to not available.

rbm

I've found that it's important to have your feed volume match other audio sources that listeners may have running at the same time.

For example:
If you have a smart phone, try listening to iheartradio or something similar while you monitor your scanner feed.

Then adjust the audio level of your feed to match it.
One should not overwhelm the other.

That way, whatever else is playing at the same time as your scanner feed, you can direct your attention to one or the other and be able to hear what you want.

Rich

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
gmclam ::

" monitor the sound level of my scanners with this digital level meter "

Did you put in the rigth ur for the ' digital level meter ' ?
I just copied an old reply here from RR to this post. Sorry I didn't take the time to check the link after I posted it. Mike found the correct site though, thanks.

csteines

Feed Provider
Thank you very much to everyone who has replied. I apologize for my slow response.

How is the signal coming from the speaker output? Can you plug some earbuds into it and hear the audio?

With a non-amplified speaker (5W/4Ohm) the sound is nice and loud. Same result with earbuds.

This should be very easy.

For Radio Feed application

1. on your Source Client tab of your feed, open the windows mixer
2.double click the microphone
3.go to LEVEL tab and slide it up a little, wait a few seconds for the delay to pass and listen to your feed.
Adjust the level as needed, do not mess with microphone boost

I am sorry for the confusion, however I am sending the audio through the Line-In of the computer, not the microphone. I have the levels for the line input set to 100% and the L and R of balance are both at 100% as well. I am using the line-input because I am sending a stereo feed.

I am leaning toward the cause of the problem being an impedance mismatch. It seems as though the external speaker output of the BC355C is designed for a low-impedance speaker (i.e., non-amplified simple plug-and-play), but the impedance of the line-in is much higher. I'm just not sure the best way to correct this issue. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.