best place to buy and pre program a BCD536HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

paranoia11

I look at 2 websites that sell and program scanners, bear cat warehouse, and scanner master.
which one is the best to use, here in southern Maine.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
As the 536hp/436hp are programed to a micro-SD. You can buy it anywhere, Amazon had some good deals in the past month, just have someone with the software program up a micro-SD for you and pop it in the mail.

If you need an SD programmed drop me a line, I should have a few micro-SDs laying around, happy to get one programmed up and sent off.

paranoia11

As the 536hp/436hp are programed to a micro-SD. You can buy it anywhere, Amazon had some good deals in the past month, just have someone with the software program up a micro-SD for you and pop it in the mail.

If you need an SD programmed drop me a line, I should have a few micro-SDs laying around, happy to get one programmed up and sent off.

thank you for the info sefrischling I will keep that in mind, thanks for the reply.

sefrischling

Attached is a PDF of what I have set up for Southern Maine. I have NHSP in there for when I am on the border. The Federal stuff (the NAC's for some reason are not on the PDF) has CT/MA/RI in there, but many of those Freqs apply to Maine ... although that system was not intended to be part of the PDF.

Attachments

• Maine_Freqs_436.pdf
    693.7 KB · Views: 242

paranoia11

Attached is a PDF of what I have set up for Southern Maine. I have NHSP in there for when I am on the border. The Federal stuff (the NAC's for some reason are not on the PDF) has CT/MA/RI in there, but many of those Freqs apply to Maine ... although that system was not intended to be part of the PDF.

thank you so much for the info, I am surprised you can pick them up in conn. Or do you use them when you drive up this way.

paranoia11

yes the 536 is being programed for my area but i will be adding on to it myself

the sales rep from one of the scanner dealers, told me that if the frec. are not already in them it does not let you manually add it, on that model.

sefrischling

I don't pick up the frequencies in CT, I pick them up when I am in Maine. I don't tend to go further north than Brunswick. Like everywhere else, I keep one radio scanning law and one scanning fire/rescue.

The 436/536 can absolutely be programmed manually ... best if by laptop. Sentinel Software is abysmal for programming, the Butel software is vastly superior. I do not use any of the pre-programmed frequencies and find the zip-code search to be a huge pain in the @$$. As I travel I just program the 436hp (and 346/396/996) as needed.

paranoia11

Thanks to all who replied to me, I ended up buying a BCD536HP from bear cat warehouse, so far so good, I hope I can figure out how to do more things with it.

But I do not have a outside ant. set up yet, I will wait to spring to put mine up.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Paranoia11,
You can do lots of things with the 536HP. It is great scanner. I have two 536HPs and bought a third one for my daughter/son-in-law in Phoenix. Enjoy your new scanner in Maine. Only been there once, back in 1980s. Will have to come up and check the scanning up that way.
Steve AA6IO (7 miles from Disneyland in So. Cal).

Voyager

the sales rep from one of the scanner dealers, told me that if the frec. are not already in them it does not let you manually add it, on that model.

I would avoid that dealer, as they don't know their products.

In fact, I rarely use the preloaded database on the 536.

sefrischling

Did you get the Butel software to program the 536? If so, send me your email address. I'd post the files here, but you cannot upload RSF files, which is what BuTel software creates for the 436/536

If anyone else would like my Southern Maine 436/536 files let me know. I have two conventional files, one fire-ems and one police, and two trunked files, Fire & PD, for Portland's trunked system.

Last edited:

paranoia11

I have Butel 536 basic, but couldn't figure it out, but I'm a newbie on programing these new scanners.

However I did add a new favorites list with the sentinel that I had, but would gladly use the butel if someone guided me through it.
I will PM you my email address , thanks for the information.

sefrischling

The learning curve on the 436/536 is steep. I came to it from the 346/396/996xt and I spent my first two weeks wanting to smash my 436hp with a hammer ... now I love it.

Check your email. If you need to be walked through it drop me an email back

Status
Not open for further replies.