Radio Shack Pro-163

Status
Not open for further replies.

nibnoses

I just picked up a Radio Shack Pro-163 off an online trading post for $80. I don't know that much about scanners, I have always wanted one but could never get myself to spend a lot of money for one. I don't want to listen to overseas chatter but just my local police, fire and such. So tell me is this scanner worth the $80?

BTW...I live in Barnesville Oh

R

retiredmich

That's 1 heck of a buy, does that scanner work ? you should get all your local's + others on your scanner.

nibnoses

I'm meeting the gentleman today to pick up the scanner, he told me it works and he was listening to it last night. I've only programmed one of these scanners for a friend and that was a few years ago, I'm sure it's not the same so please stand by this afternoon for what I'm sure will be lots of confusion, aggravation and a little swearing thrown in for good measure. Lol.

I did however find the manual online, I hope it's a great deal of help!

shadcall

It may not be a good scanner for your area. From the database it appears that since October Belmont County is digital and law enforcement is encrypted. The Pro 163 is an analog only scanner. However there will be other things you can listen to in the area. You also will not be able to listen to state agencies such as the Ohio State Patrol as they also appear to be using digital. Depending on your antenna you may or may not be able to pick up something in West Virginia.

Before buying I would plug the scanner in and see what he is receiving.

All the information is here.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2046

Last edited:

nibnoses

Ok, I been playing with my new toy and I understand that I may not be able to listen to the local police but I should be able to hear the Belmont county fire and sheriff frequency right?
This is my issue, I can't seem to program the "trunk" correctly. I'm not sure what parts of the trunk system that I need to enter, the scanner asks for frequency's during programming but I only see one on the list. If I program just this one I can hear the dispatch send out the EMS but thats all I hear, no responses from the EMS or anything. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

nibnoses

Pro-163 Professionals

Looking for a Pro-163 professional that can help explain some issues for programming trunking frequencys.

Belmont county, Ohio

I've read the easy manual over and over but can't seem to get it, I can hear the dispatch put out the tone but no replies from EMS, I think there is something I'm missing or not putting in correctly.

Thanks in advance!
Chris

N8IAA

Well, Chris, the Belmont OH system, while a trunk system, is digital, P-25. The 163 is an analog trunk tracker. So, it won't decode. You would need a Pro-651/652 to hear your county.
Larry

nibnoses

Ok, so is there ANYTHING that I can hear with this analog scanner? I just picked it up yesterday for $80 thinking it would be a good starter scanner to start to learn a little before I spent a ton of money for another more expensive one.

shadcall

Everything in your county is digital including fire and EMS. You can hear railroads, businesses and perhaps surrounding counties. Other than that you are out of luck.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Looking at the page for your county, it looks like you can get fire dispatch, hospitals, jail, public works and schools. Then there are statewide channels, aviation, railroads and stuff like that. You might also be able to pick up an adjacent county or two, I didn't look at them all.

nibnoses

Well that explains alot, thanks for your input, I'll play around and see if I can pick up something from another county.
So is there a scanner out there that can pick up all the things in my county, and if I were to purchase one, how long before it's out of date and can no longer pick up, I don't want to spend a small fortune and it only work for a few months before technology passes me by.

Chris

vernongt

Pro-163

Ok, I been playing with my new toy and I understand that I may not be able to listen to the local police but I should be able to hear the Belmont county fire and sheriff frequency right?
This is my issue, I can't seem to program the "trunk" correctly. I'm not sure what parts of the trunk system that I need to enter, the scanner asks for frequency's during programming but I only see one on the list. If I program just this one I can hear the dispatch send out the EMS but thats all I hear, no responses from the EMS or anything. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

G'day Chris,
I have three [3] Pro-163s and also a Pro-164 which is the HandHeld version of the same.
I live in northern Arizona [just south of the Canyon] and though it is pretty sparce out here, there's lots of analog [conventional] stuff to listen to. Of course I have a couple of lengths of 2" pipe with a Discone Antenna outside, and also a Glass-mount Antenna on my truck and a PVC telescopic [homemade] on my 5th Wheel with a Discone Antenna [removeable] mounted on that. At least two of my radios go with me wherever.

I use ARC-300 to program these Radios, and as I go, I also Clone from one to the other. Believe me, the Programming Software [no matter which one], is definitely worth the $$$$$. Makes life so easy.

Using Radio Reference, I program the first 4 banks as separate County Banks: Mohave,Yavapai,Coconino, Navajo/Apache [together] and Arizona Statewide. Then I use Banks 5 & 6 for Other States, 7 for US Forest Svc, 8 for Railroad and 9 for Aircraft/Airports.

If I decide to go on a trip, then with the aid of the ARC-300 software and the RS 20-047 interface cable, I can program and save [in my laptop] a new program for my trip. SUPER EASY.

One would think that with these radios I'd be satisfied. Well, my wife just gave me a brand new Pro-652 [Digital scanner] and now I have a NEW LEARNING CURVE!

I'm using the ARC-500 software for that one, and have just [today] started learning both the Radio and the Software. Phew!!! Looks promising, but is a whole new setup and is a bit confusing. Gotta get some advice etc on setting this one up.

Good luck Chris.

Nasby

@Chris,

If you scroll down to the Ohio forums, you could ask for some local help on programming your scanner with frequencies that can still be monitored.

There are lots of helpful folks on the Ohio forum and several are from the Barnesville area.

N8IAA

Well, Chris, the Belmont OH system, while a trunk system, is digital, P-25. The 163 is an analog trunk tracker. So, it won't decode. You would need a Pro-651/652 to hear your county.
Larry

nibnoses, you would need the scanners I originally posted about and are highlighted in red. You will also be able to hear the Ohio MARCS IP-P-25 system.
gmclam is correct about railroad, aircraft and others that are not digital. As of 10/20/14, your county went on their own P-25 system. You may hear an occasional simulcast on the analog, conventional frequencies.
Your best way to get the proper info is to go to the Ohio state forum and ask there. Or click on the red and white triangle and ask the forums moderators to merge your two related threads and put them in the Ohio forum.
Larry

n8jsw

Premium Subscriber
Chris, you should be able to hear Guernsey County,Ohio
Also you should be able to pick up City of Wheeling 800mhz System
Also Jefferson County,Ohio And Brooke County, Ohio

I live in St.c and can pick up all ans also Staley's 800mhz system

Nasby

Chris,

If you want to hear Belmont County, there isn't a scanner on the market that will be able to receive the encrypted channels there that most of Belmont County uses.

Unless you have a strong desire to listen to the Highway Patrol or adjacent counties, don't waste your money on a digital scanner. Just keep the one you have to listen to the conventional stuff (trains, etc.) mentioned earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.