Operating a receiver???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not want to get a transmitter, because I do not want to get a HAM liscense. If I buy a HAM receiver (just a radio, no mic or transmitter) do I need to get a licsence because I am only LISTENING to the airwaves?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
There are very few amateur radio receivers on the market these days. Most of them are transceivers--receiver and transmitter in one box.

In the U.S., you do not need a license to buy an amateur radio transceiver, though many amateur radio dealers will ask you for your callsign. That's the dealer's rule and not an FCC requirement. If asked, just politely and concisely explain that you are buying the radio for the receiver and you have no intention of transmitting with it.

BTW, one of the most helpful amateur radio dealers is close to you in Reynoldsburg. Look for Universal Radio. Contact them and explain to the guys there what you want to do and they can fix you up with a good solution. Though, if you are allergic to cats, it may not be a good idea to visit in person. http://universal-radio.com/cats.html

RC286

If you aren't ever planning on gettnig your lincence to operate the transciver to its full potential, you may spend more than its worth.

If all you are looking for is a portable receiver I have seen these
Kenwood R2000 Product Reviews (Kenwood R-2000 and similar)
Go on ebay for between $100- $180 in full working order.

I recall a seller selling off about 70 of these radios about a year or so ago for about $160 /ea
Pulled working and retired from some government organization.

N8IAA

I do not want to get a transmitter, because I do not want to get a HAM liscense. If I buy a HAM receiver (just a radio, no mic or transmitter) do I need to get a licsence because I am only LISTENING to the airwaves?

What exactly are you wanting to listen too? HF, 160m to 10m? VHF, 6m-70cm? We can only guess as to what your listening needs are.
Larry

rapidcharger

You don't need a license unless you're transmitting. You can have a transmitter/tranceiver abut as long as you're receiving only, you don't need a license.

IndyJoe

if you want to listen to HF,. buy a general coverage shortwave receiver, capable of USB, LSB, AM, and CW modes if you want to hear the most.

General coverage shortwave receivers should cover 30Mhz down to 1800Khz or lower.

If you want to listen to UHF/VHF and higher, just buy a good scanner capable of the freqs you're looking for. You can probably build a SDR receiver to do the job.

prerunner1982

if you want to listen to HF,. buy a general coverage shortwave receiver, capable of USB, LSB, AM, and CW modes if you want to hear the most.

General coverage shortwave receivers should cover 30Mhz down to 1800Khz or lower.

If you want to listen to UHF/VHF and higher, just buy a good scanner capable of the freqs you're looking for. You can probably build a SDR receiver to do the job.

Exactly... or get an analog scanner for the VHF/UHF.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Welcome aboard Crazy Calvin!
Is that as a future amateur radio operator [which he said he wasn't interested] or as a scanner listener? And as most posts state, a general all band receiver is better. Yield not to temptation. One can get as much fun out of a receiver only. I did for a couple of decades.

KC0KM

Why just listen? GOTA -- Get On The Air, go ahead and get your license, it can be fun, and with a little work you can at least get General, which would not only allow you to listen, but to talk. Granted, at first it can be a little daunting, but there is noting like making your first solo DX contact. I listened to scanners for years (still do to some extent) but it is more fun making contacts. However, I admit, I too sometimes just listen. I even use my radio to find and listen to Shortwave and even finding and listening to AM clear stations.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Why just listen? GOTA -- Get On The Air, go ahead and get your license, it can be fun, and with a little work you can at least get General, which would not only allow you to listen, but to talk. Granted, at first it can be a little daunting, but there is noting like making your first solo DX contact. I listened to scanners for years (still do to some extent) but it is more fun making contacts. However, I admit, I too sometimes just listen. I even use my radio to find and listen to Shortwave and even finding and listening to AM clear stations.
A repeaterism comes to mind.

Blessed are those who listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.