BCD436HP P25 Adjustment Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

gskroll

Premium Subscriber
I am having mixed results hearing Connecticut State Police on this scanner. I hear Troop H perfectly. I should hear Troop C as well. I am in Vernon very close to I-84. I believe the Site for Troop C is in Tolland about 4-5 miles distant along I-84 - pretty much line of sight.

I have read both the Uniden-provided Owner's Manual (p. 59) and the "Easier to Read" version's P25 Adjustment Mode topic.

I have set the P25 Threshold Mode to Manual and keyed Vol-Function-Vol showing the lines with err:, Level, and Mode values and, then below, the three decimal decode threshold levels.

My confusion stems from the fact that, while I do hear some partially intelligible transmissions over the course of several minutes (in another case overnight), neither the P25 Threshold Level nor the set of three decode voltage values change.

I read "The error rate should drop for each transmission and the threshold levels should automatically adjust to a more optimal setting. Then, once the threshold level settles to a stable setting, make a note of the value." Doesn't this mean that I should expect to see the P25 Threshold Level value, the three decode voltages (or values displayed on both lines change? I only see values changing briefly from "---" to two-digit integers for Err:

I even reasoned that, though the audio was somewhat garbled when the starting P25 Threshold Level was at 8, maybe that was determined to be optimal so no change in values was displayed. I then experimented with several other P25 Threshold Level values as starting points. None resulted any "settling" to difference values for P25 Threshold Level or decode voltages.

What am I missing?

Has anyone found the optimal value for CT State Police Troop C (Tolland Site)?

I think I understand that, had the scanner settled on a different value for P25 Threshold Level, I should use that value and set the P25 Threshold Mode back to Auto. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Glenn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mharris

Premium Subscriber
I am having mixed results hearing Connecticut State Police on this scanner. I hear Troop H perfectly. I should hear Troop C as well. I am in Vernon very close to I-84. I believe the Site for Troop C is in Tolland about 4-5 miles distant along I-84 - pretty much line of sight.

I have read both the Uniden-provided Owner's Manual (p. 59) and the "Easier to Read" version's P25 Adjustment Mode topic.

I have set the P25 Threshold Mode to Manual and keyed Vol-Function-Vol showing the lines with err:, Level, and Mode values and, then below, the three decimal decode threshold levels.

My confusion stems from the fact that, while I do hear some partially intelligible transmissions over the course of several minutes (in another case overnight), neither the P25 Threshold Level nor the set of three decode voltage values change.

I read "The error rate should drop for each transmission and the threshold levels should automatically adjust to a more optimal setting. Then, once the threshold level settles to a stable setting, make a note of the value." Doesn't this mean that I should expect to see the P25 Threshold Level value, the three decode voltages (or values displayed on both lines change? I only see values changing briefly from "---" to two-digit integers for Err:

I even reasoned that, though the audio was somewhat garbled when the starting P25 Threshold Level was at 8, maybe that was determined to be optimal so no change in values was displayed. I then experimented with several other P25 Threshold Level values as starting points. None resulted any "settling" to difference values for P25 Threshold Level or decode voltages.

What am I missing?

I think I understand that, had the scanner settled on a different value for P25 Threshold Level, I should use that value and set the P25 Threshold Mode back to Auto. Is that correct?

Glenn

This is a well known problem on the 436 and 536. They're is an ongoing thread in the "Uniden Bug Report" forum. I want this fixed bad, but there has been no communications from Uniden back to the forum regarding fixing this issue.

W6KRU

What am I missing?

Glenn

Disregard the bolded text. That was carried over from a poor description of tuning x96 scanners.

Once you have the P25 decode screen up, while holding Function turn the scroll control to adjust the threshold and set it for a minimum Err rate.

Voyager

That's because it might not be a bug, but interference that is causing bad decodes since the x36 works fine on some systems.

gskroll

Premium Subscriber
Thsnks for the replies. I will check from an alternate location to try to rule out interference.

So there is nothing "automatic" when in the "adjustment" mode where it seeks the optimal threshold level? Instead, it allows manual "hunting" by function-scrolling the volume control?

Glenn

n3ouc

Premium Subscriber
Glenn,
You are correct, nothing is automatic at this time with either the 436 or the 536..

bee

This is a problem in Mississippi also, on the "Mississippi Wireless Intergrated Network". (MSWIN).

mharris, I would like to view that thread on the Uniden bug reports about the p25., Can you tell me the name of the file that is on the Uniden bug reports?

Thanks

SCPD

QRT
I have mine set to Manual and the Decode at 8. I pull the H&W site in from my location (farmington) with a spectrum force antenna and get full signal, not always the case with the portables though. I also set the hold for a little longer than the 400ms. I get full conversations most of the time, dispatcher calls, etc, but when something is garbled its almost always a car calling dispatch, usually followed by the dispatcher tell them they went digital or were inaudible.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I thought the last firmware update addresses this issue. My 436 and 536 both have improved deciding of CSP Western District. I turned on the auto mode and it worked just fine.

SCPD

QRT
Just ran the update, amazing decode on CSP nice and crisp- and I've wittled my CTSP talk groups down to the essentials - everything is working really nice.

budevans

I thought the last firmware update addresses this issue. My 436 and 536 both have improved deciding of CSP Western District. I turned on the auto mode and it worked just fine.

The update is an improvement for most users. But for a few its had the opposite effect. Unfortunately for me, I went from five months of very minor to no Simulcast issues to continuous poor reception since the update.

iamretired911

How do you get to the " P25 decode screen" on the BCD436Hp?

Disregard the bolded text. That was carried over from a poor description of tuning x96 scanners.

Once you have the P25 decode screen up, while holding Function turn the scroll control to adjust the threshold and set it for a minimum Err rate.

How do you get to the " P25 decode screen" on the BCD436Hp?

mrwhitee

Im following page 59 but when I try to adjust my bcd436 by pressing function and turning the volume it just beeps and nothing changes. What am I missing?

...never mind...I got it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.