'I Got Really Lucky': Makeshift Radio Saved Sailor After 12 Days at Sea

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimab

'I Got Really Lucky': Makeshift Radio Saved Sailor After 12 Days at Sea - NBC News

"We got a mayday here. We got a mayday. This is the Malia. Anybody picking this up?"

After two weeks lost at sea, Ron Ingraham on Tuesday broke radio silence with a distress call he made using a makeshift radio fashioned out of a coat hanger and some wire. And the Coast Guard, which had stopped looking for him more than a week ago, heard his dire transmission and the Navy caught up with him 64 miles south of Honolulu.

mikepdx

...a makeshift radio fashioned out of a coat hanger and some wire.

The guy must be a magician to fashion a working transceiver
out of a coat hanger and some wire!

Last edited:

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
It sounds like the radio was fine, but as his masts were broken, he had to fashion his own antenna. Leave it to idiot news "reporters" to completely gloss over that possibility and tell us he built his own transceiver from parts lying around his swamped boat. Ugh.

It sounds like the radio was fine, but as his masts were broken, he had to fashion his own antenna. Leave it to idiot news "reporters" to completely gloss over that possibility and tell us he built his own transceiver from parts lying around his swamped boat. Ugh.

I was thinking he built it with coconuts and the portable AM-FM receiver that always seems to pull in one static-free station in the middle of nowhere.

SCPD

QRT
I was thinking he built it with coconuts and the portable AM-FM receiver that always seems to pull in one static-free station in the middle of nowhere.

Must been one of those c-cranes george norey speaks of.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
There are still many sail boat owners that think a good strong wind and a compass is all they need. Romantic, but usually stupid.
Sounds like when this guy got laid over by the waves it took his mast down. Sailboats -usually- use a 1/2 wave VHF antenna on top of the mast to take advantage of the additional height. Works well, but puts the antenna on the end of a long coaxial cable and on the least accessible part of the boat.

A standby VHF antenna (or in this case, a coat hanger) should be standard equipment. Going anywhere out on the open ocean should include HF/SSB capabilities, as well as an EPRIB.

This guy was lucky, but waiting 12 days before hooking up a coat hanger makes me wonder what he did for the first 11 days.

EPRIBS/PLB's are cheap and would have had this guy on a nice warm cutter or helicopter in a few hours, and probably home within 24 hours.

I'm glad to hear this guy is OK, but I'm hoping that if he decides to go out to sea again, someone in his family talks some sense into him. Relying on a single radio was foolish. Putting all those rescuers at risk looking for him was stupid. People die trying to rescue others, even the professionals.

mlmummert

There are still many sail boat owners that think a good strong wind and a compass is all they need. Romantic, but usually stupid.
Sounds like when this guy got laid over by the waves it took his mast down. Sailboats -usually- use a 1/2 wave VHF antenna on top of the mast to take advantage of the additional height. Works well, but puts the antenna on the end of a long coaxial cable and on the least accessible part of the boat.

A standby VHF antenna (or in this case, a coat hanger) should be standard equipment. Going anywhere out on the open ocean should include HF/SSB capabilities, as well as an EPRIB.

This guy was lucky, but waiting 12 days before hooking up a coat hanger makes me wonder what he did for the first 11 days.

EPRIBS/PLB's are cheap and would have had this guy on a nice warm cutter or helicopter in a few hours, and probably home within 24 hours.

I'm glad to hear this guy is OK, but I'm hoping that if he decides to go out to sea again, someone in his family talks some sense into him. Relying on a single radio was foolish. Putting all those rescuers at risk looking for him was stupid. People die trying to rescue others, even the professionals.

+1 to everything you said here.

Status
Not open for further replies.