New guy here, need some help. Are scanners worth it when all these apps out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc2dc

Premium Subscriber
Hello.

I used to listen to scanners all the time and now that my son is seriously into police, fire, ems and aviation, I thought it would be a really nice gift for him. However, I'm concerned that I would be buying this for no reason because everything is available online and on smart phone apps.

Can somebody tell me why it makes sense to buy a scanner when you have access to all this for free?

Is this sort of an old school hobby or is this something that would still appeal to younger people in the late teens etc and possibly going into public safely fields.

I'm looking at the Uniden BDC436HP. It looks like a nice scanner that's easy to use for a newbie, but they run around $450, so I really want to make sure it would be something that's worth purchasing.

Thanks for any help.

Oh, and we live in the Annapolis area, so picking up AA County signals is a must.

Thank you.

FrensicPic

Premium Subscriber
Is what you want to listen to available via a feed and an app? What you can listen to is limited by the feeds available. That alone may answer your question.

If you want to monitor something outside of your area of reception (across the country) then an app and a feed might be appropriate.

I've noticed a delay of several seconds between what I hear on a scanner and the same transmission via a feed.

John

W8VFD

Feed Provider
My opinion...

I utilize both physical scanners and online feeds, It's nice having your own scanner because you're at the mercy of the feed provider as far as what you hear. If there's a major police or fire incident you might not hear all of the action on a feed because of routine traffic on other channels.

osros

Feed Provider
Scanners and monitoring is a hobby for most you either jump in with both feet or if your just have a slight interest of tuning in to your local services then sure an app may do. But if your into monitoring then you need options, features and capabilities you just can't get with an app. So getting hardware is a must and one of the joys of the hobby. Part of it is not only tuning into your local services but also monitor and tune into the unknown or new and figure out who, what and why,

The apps for me is another extension or option I don't have for monitoring and that's nationwide access.

Also good to point out that a 436HP maybe overkill for your area and you may get what you need from a much cheaper unit. I want and will get the 436 and 536 do I need it? No but that's the hobby I want it and will increase my enjoyment and ready when I travel outside my area.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It's not really overkill at all - the state is slowly moving toward a Phase 2 type system, which in laymen's terms, means that there are only 5 scanners that can listen to them - the 436 being one of them. In addition, Prince George's county (your southern neighbor) is entirely Phase 2, so if your son wants to hear them, he'll need one of these.

The other 4? The BCD536HP, or the Home Patrol 2 (both by Uniden); a hard-to-find GRE PSR-800 or the newer Whistler WS-1080

Mike

mitbr

Hello.

I used to listen to scanners all the time and now that my son is seriously into police, fire, ems and aviation, I thought it would be a really nice gift for him. However, I'm concerned that I would be buying this for no reason because everything is available online and on smart phone apps.

Can somebody tell me why it makes sense to buy a scanner when you have access to all this for free?

Is this sort of an old school hobby or is this something that would still appeal to younger people in the late teens etc and possibly going into public safely fields.

I'm looking at the Uniden BDC436HP. It looks like a nice scanner that's easy to use for a newbie, but they run around $450, so I really want to make sure it would be something that's worth purchasing.

Thanks for any help.

Oh, and we live in the Annapolis area, so picking up AA County signals is a must.

Thank you.

I have the bcd436hp your son would be thrilled with this radio it is one of the best on the market I really enjoy mine.
Remember that the online feeds cannot stream the tac channels for the PD and that's where most action is.
Tim

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I could answer by saying: With all the planes, trains and buses out there, why would anyone want to buy their own auto? And for some, that's exactly their choice.

The thing is most people think they're buying a scanner; in reality their scanner will own them (or it will just sit and collect dust). This is an active hobby that is constantly changing. People tend to really dig in 100% or only want to listen (in which case those apps work just fine). The real question is in knowing your son's desires.

Comparing Apps to real radios is futile..No app will ever match the function or performance of a scanner for personal monitoring.
With any app your dependent on a feed provider,network or internet connection. As well as only having access to the provided feeds.
Say an incident occurs.Do you want to have to search around for a feed that may or may not cover the channels?..If its a big enough situation,the provider may chose to take it offline for safety of the responders..or put a delay so you wont hear occurrences in real time..

Get a scanner.Id steer away from the 436,its a fairly complex radio. unless you need the Phase2 capability. Id go digital though,the PSR500,or its new Whistler variant..or the UNIDEN 996XT..

Without a doubt,having your own scanner is the best option,anyone who thinks different is flat out Wrong.

RDGDigital

Hello.

As someone who use to live in Annapolis, I can tell you that there are only two on-line feeds for systems in this area. One is the Anne Arundel County Police Southern District (which covers the part of Annapolis outside of the city limits) and the other is for the Anne Arundel County Police Western District. So these would be your only choices when using an APP. There are many other systems that you could monitor with a scanner. For instance, the two other Anne Arundel Police districts, Eastern & Northern, Anne Arundel County Fire Department, Annapolis City, US Naval Academy, other agencies on the County system (e.g., AACC, Animal Control, School Buses, Public Works, etc.), BWI Airport, State Police and many others.

Also, as an earlier poster indicated, there are a lot of systems in this area that are either already using or planning on using a P25 - Phase II system. My recommendation would be to make sure you're looking at a scanner that can monitor these systems.

Personally, I like the Whistler WS1080 for monitoring in this area, but that's just me. I have no experience with Uniden scanners so I can't comment on them.

Last edited:

kc2dc

Premium Subscriber
Thanks so much for all the info. After getting cold feet, I'm getting excited about the idea again. I will have to take a look at the WS1080. The BWI airport thing sounds cool and it would be nice to hear more of the area, but I think these types of scanners only have a range of a few miles. PG County, Northern AA County, BWI etc, would be quite far. I must be confused on the range. I'll keep reading about them, but please keep the comments coming, it's helping a lot.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It sounds like you're considering only 1 side of the equation. I'm sure you know that most duckies that come with scanners (and many ham HTs, too) are a lossy antenna, and yes, that will limit how far away you hear. However get a better antenna up high and outdoors, and the distance you will hear increases considerably.Hearing PG county's trunk would be a stretch from the Annapolis area (although if you were in the Crofton area, it just might be possible with an outside antenna...), but hearing overflights from BWI is very easy. And don't forget about the huge amount of military aviation that passes thru every day. See the sticky thread devoted to this topic in this forum Mike

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I would recommend purchasing a Phase 2 capable scanner like the 436, 536 or HP2. Anne Arundel County is currently soliciting vendors to replace their 800 radio system, and the winning proposal will be more than likely be a TDMA Phase 2 system and will probably be operational in 2016. The state is also building out a Phase 2 system that is operational in the Annapolis area - although still early in its deployment schedule. Plus as other posters have remarked, PG County is currently operating a Phase 2 system for all county services. I am a rare user of online feeds, generally reserving them for distant locations that cannot be received locally - so in effect, they are complementary.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Thanks so much for all the info. After getting cold feet, I'm getting excited about the idea again. I will have to take a look at the WS1080. The BWI airport thing sounds cool and it would be nice to hear more of the area, but I think these types of scanners only have a range of a few miles. PG County, Northern AA County, BWI etc, would be quite far. I must be confused on the range. I'll keep reading about them, but please keep the comments coming, it's helping a lot.

I live in Annapolis, and receive everything within the county. You do not *need* an external antenna for the 700/800 systems that predominate in the area. In fact, it might be counterproductive - you could potentially receive two or more tower sites more or less simultaneously, which leads to an unpleasant listening experience. I also listen to the Naval Academy's 380 system with no problem. I cannot reliably receive PG or Queen Anne, or BWI from my house, but obviously I can while driving around the area. The only antenna I use is a "rubber duckie" designed for the 850Mz range, and it's perfectly fine.

kc2dc

Premium Subscriber
Again, thanks for all the info. I think I will wait till I understand more about how the county plans to upgrade its systems.

In the mean time, what do you guys think of this scanner? Would it be okay for an entry level scanner to learn on?

01313_kBLfoxfDXk0_600x450.jpg

Realistic Pro-39 "Hyperscan" 200 channel programmable. Scanner comes with the manual, car and AC charger/adaptor, ear plug and 2 speakers. New batteries are also included at no additional charge.

kc2dc

Premium Subscriber
or the Radio Shack duel trunking 1000 channel scanner model # Pro-95. It says it will follow Motorola type I and II systems, as well as EDACS trunked radio systems. I'm guessing that's not the same as the phase 2 system mentioned above.

RDGDigital

The PRO-39 is an analog only model and will not pick up any trunking system. The PRO-95 will pick up trunking systems but it will not work for systems that have been rebanded, although it would work for the current Anne Arundel County system. Neither of these scanners will monitor a P25 - Phase II system.

To answer your question in regards to learning, the PRO-39 is a basic analog scanner and there isn't much to learn with it. You basically type in the frequencies you want to monitor and off you go. The PRO-95 could be a good scanner for learning to program trunking systems. However, for me the no rebanding would be deal breaker since some of the systems I monitor have gone through rebanding.

Also, FYI, the only scanners that will monitor a P25 Phase II system are the Uniden BCD436HP & BCD536HP, the Whistler WS1080 and soon to be released WS1095, and the discontinued GRE PSR-800.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Are scanners worth it?

Yes. Can't beat a real scanner.

Last edited by a moderator:

danesgs

KC2DC, , My option for your son would be a combo of either a decent P-25 scanner and a USB stick, A trunking HT and a USB stick or a all out P-25 Phase 2 capable system. The later will not grow deaf as to new systems that come online. IF on the other hand your son may not want all that. Just pick a good radio, all of which has been pointed out already and the USB stick is only 20.00 and can be a cool home project for just getting into monitoring in general. Like everyone said though a good scanner beats a app hands down unless listening cross country.The Uniden BC-345CRS is a good intro to scanning without trunking and includes MILAIR ,AM/FM, 500 channels and same alert wx for only 99.00.

kc2dc

Premium Subscriber
Well, I got the Uniden BCD396XT

I know it doesn't do the phase II stuff, but it was cheaper and should be good for starting out.

It's something to play with and we can always take it back and upgrade to the BDC436HP after christmas.

I do think having an actual scanner is the way to go, so thanks for helping me feel better about that.

Any thoughts on the BCD396XT?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If all you're interested in is AA county, and aviation, then the 396XT will work just fine - at least for now, as long as you don't try to hear FiRST. If you try to hear Baltimore county or city, well, that's a horse of another color.....

This article from our wiki (links are always blue) has extensive links that will get you started. Don't even try to use the so-called manual from Uniden - the Easier to Read manuals are all linked at the bottom of this article...

Program your DMA Scanner- the RR Wiki

When you get the scanner and USB connection going, if you use FreeScan (and you should), I can likely help you with a starter file. It won't be everything you need, but enough to get you going. I lived in Glen Burnie for almost 12 years. Give me a yell at ka3jjz (at) comcast (dot) net when you're ready and let me know precisely what it is you're looking to hear.

Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.