Owensboro Digital Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phrostbyte74

Premium Subscriber
So, I notice City Of Owensboro is digital now. Will the HomePatrol-1 allow me to pick it up and listen to them? And the KSP?
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum area - I wasn't sure to post it under the HomePatrol forum or here.

Thanks a lot!

Phrostbyte74

Premium Subscriber
Great! Thank you!

How about the BC-250.. Should it be able to pick up Owensboro's P25? The only other digital experience was with picking up KSP - it seemed to never pick it up right. And when I try Owensboro's it either picks up nothing, or it hangs on the control channel.

Also , thanks for the info on the HomePatrol-1

VASCAR2

If I'm looking at the correct model BC 250 this is only an analog scanner with UHF. To be able to receive the Ky St Police you'll need a digital scanner and to be able to hear Owensboro you'll need a digital scanner which can decode P25. A Uniden Beacat 396T, 996T, 396XT, 996XT or comparable Radio Shack/GRE scanner will be required. Uniden has released the Home Patrol and Home Patrol II series as well newer model desk top and handheld but I can't remember the model. Whistler brand has come on the market with P-25 Phase II TDMA scanner as well as Radio Shack will be releasing their version of this scanner.

If your really wanting to hear Owensboro or KSP I think you need a new scanner which are not cheap.

Phrostbyte74

Premium Subscriber
I actually have a HomePatrol-1 on the way - but just to get it working I thought I'd try to get it working.. And, yes, the BC-250D and I have the APCO-P25 card in it... It picks up KSP via P25 - I just never thought I programmed it right.. But KSP works fine, picks it up no problem..

What the Owensboro group id doing is getting stuck on the control channel 853.5750 - and it lets out an occasional static noise and just stays on that channel

VASCAR2

I actually have a HomePatrol-1 on the way - but just to get it working I thought I'd try to get it working.. And, yes, the BC-250D and I have the APCO-P25 card in it... It picks up KSP via P25 - I just never thought I programmed it right.. But KSP works fine, picks it up no problem..

What the Owensboro group id doing is getting stuck on the control channel 853.5750 - and it lets out an occasional static noise and just stays on that channel

Well I never thought of putting in a P25 card, way over my head. The Uniden Bearcat which I couldn't remember were the BCD436 and BCD536. Good luck I hope you like your Home Patrol.

Phrostbyte74

Premium Subscriber
Oh no - it was made with a slot for the P25 card, but didn't come with it. you had to buy it separate. I actually still have both boxes. But, got my HomePatrol-1 so listening to KSP And OWB isn't a problem lol - very sweet scanner. I very much like it , Thanks!

Phrostbyte74

Premium Subscriber
Got the HomePatrol up in no time of course , but I'm still wondering why my BC-250D will pick up APCO-25 KSP but it wont pick up APCO-25 Owb. Public Safety.. It gets hung up on the control channel 853.5750 with chirps of static about every 3 seconds .. If I keep hitting resume on the scanner it will occasionally pick up a piece of a conversation, and the LCD does come up with the P25/NFM, just like it does when I scan KSP, but unlike the KSP, Owb Pub. Safety needs control channels.

I'm using Proscan to program it, and using the database here to pull all the info..

I guess my question is why does the Owb. Pub. Safety needs a control channel, but the KSP doesn't?
Thanks in advance -

VASCAR2

Your BC 250 is hanging on the control channel but can't follow the instructions. KSP is digital conventional not trunk. With a trunk tracker you follow the Talk Groups. You can program all but the control channel from the BC250 as if they were conventional 800. The scanner would stop if there is traffic but you couldn't lockout talk groups, only frequencies which carry every TG.

dwh367

Got the HomePatrol up in no time of course , but I'm still wondering why my BC-250D will pick up APCO-25 KSP but it wont pick up APCO-25 Owb. Public Safety.. It gets hung up on the control channel 853.5750 with chirps of static about every 3 seconds .. If I keep hitting resume on the scanner it will occasionally pick up a piece of a conversation, and the LCD does come up with the P25/NFM, just like it does when I scan KSP, but unlike the KSP, Owb Pub. Safety needs control channels.

I'm using Proscan to program it, and using the database here to pull all the info..

I guess my question is why does the Owb. Pub. Safety needs a control channel, but the KSP doesn't?
Thanks in advance -

Owensboro needs a control channel as it uses a trunked repeater system rather than a conventional repeater system like KSP uses. Unfortunately, the 250D cannot be programmed to trunk track a P25 system. You'll have to stick to your HP-1 for that.

Phrostbyte74

Premium Subscriber
One last thing - and maybe I should have opened a new thread - but what about a BCD996T? Can it pick up the Owensboro Public Safety APCO25 system type they use - with the control channel?

Phrostbyte74

Premium Subscriber
Owensboro needs a control channel as it uses a trunked repeater system rather than a conventional repeater system like KSP uses. Unfortunately, the 250D cannot be programmed to trunk track a P25 system. You'll have to stick to your HP-1 for that.

Rgr that - thanks for taking time to answer.. I'm def enjoying picking up Owb Pub. Safety again with the HP-1 , def love that scanner.. Tho I'm also looking into getting a more up-to-date, computer controlled (to search for freq's) something like the BCD996T - that model will also pick up the Owb Pub. Safety APCO25, right?

VASCAR2

I have never connected a BC996T to a computer but have programmed them to work from the key pad on digital P25 systems similar to Owensboro. The only issue is when the frequency re-banding was initiated I had to modify the band plan and reprogram the scanners to work. Someone on this forum bought a BC996XT which was sold new after the re-banding and it did not need the altered band plan as it worked by just loading the data.

Here is a link which explains how to modify the band plan. It sounds complicated but really is easy to do on a BC996T. If your buying a used scanner you may or may not encounter the re-banding issue.

Easier to Read BCD996XT Digital Scanner Manual

Status
Not open for further replies.