BCD396XT/BCD996XT: BCD996XT Priority scan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrthor3232

Premium Subscriber
So I just got the 996xt scanner I am setting up the priority channels. My question is how to get them to work on a P25 trunked system? The priority channel works on the conventional channels. I programmed it in Freescan I did tick the priority box and ticked in the system option I aswell turned on the priority option on the scanner its self. Is there a step I am missing?

Voyager

Priority on trunked systems depends on how the system is set up. It cannot work the same way as conventional priority.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
From the BCD396XT Complete Reference Manual (noting that the 996XTs function the same way as the 396XTs):

Priority ID Scanning
Trunked channels can be assigned priority. When the scanner is monitoring the control channel, channels you tag as priority are given a higher priority over non-priority channels when they become active.

"Priority ID Scan
Priority ID Scan works in ID Scan/Search Mode or ID Scan/Search Hold Mode when the Priority ID Scan setting is on.
This works on Motorola and EDACS (Wide, Narrow), LTR, and P25 Standard systems.

This function is very similar to conventional priority although there is no “interrupt” during the transmission. Priorities are checked in between transmissions, when the scanner is receiving the control channel, as during the channel delay period."

Be sure to check the Priority ID Scan box (below where it says XT options in the trunked systems Setup screen) and that you have checked the PRI boxes for those talkgroups you wish to be priority.

Priority Scanning and Priority ID Scanning are similar, but different.

Priority scanning is for conventional systems. When this occurs, you will notice that "interrupt" as the scanner looks at a priority frequency for activity.

Priority ID scanning is for trunked systems. This happens in the background and isn't noticed until a priority talkgroup becomes active.

Here is a critical point: You are scanning both conventional and trunked "stuff" and a trunked system set up for Priority ID scanning. If the scanner has stopped on a conventional channel, it does NOT periodically check the trunked system for activity on a priority talkgroup. Priority ID scanning happens only when the scanner is "listening" to the control channel for the trunked system.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I thought about mentioning that too, but the OP mentioned a P25 system and the Preemptive Priority applies to Motorola systems, which I think are different than P25 systems.

Mrthor3232

Premium Subscriber
Thank You

Thank you for all your input and clarification on the priority feature. Now next question is worth in your opinion to setup this in a scanner.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Yes.

The majority of my scanning is with the 536 (just a little with the x96 scanners) and I have the priority ID scan set for the trunk system for my local area.

As a retired fire guy, I'd rather hear fire incidents than police incidents. So I have the main fire operations channels set as priority. Also the fire department I was associated with (one of about 17) has its own "chit chat" talkgroup that is also of great interest. So it is set with a priority.

I'm quite happy with how the priority feature works. The only thing I'd like to see, which may be something for Uniden to tackle down the road, is this. If the scanner has stopped on a conventional channel, it does not check a P25 system to see if there are active transmissions on a priority TG. It sure would be nice if it did.

rwier

Premium Subscriber
Thank You:
Ronaldski
and
ofd8001
As a recent new owner of a 996XT, I will remember that if I ever want to use a priority function, I need to "read up" on the options.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The link below might be of interest to you. It is to the 396XT Complete Reference. Even though they are two different scanners (mobile/portable) the programming is pretty much the same.

I like this document as you can open it in Adobe and do a "Find" for terms that you are trying to learn about. I've saved the downloaded PDF on my computer.

Unfortunately the only manual Uniden has for the 996XT is on line and it is tougher to search.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...3m_Wurgo9uCbEriDCpWCtCA&bvm=bv.81828268,d.eXY

Mark's Easier to Read Manuals are also very good:

Easier to Read BCD996XT Digital Scanner Manual

Status
Not open for further replies.