ham radio simplex freqs

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE3JSO

hi i am wondering what is the most common simplex frequency for 2m or 70cm bands that i can get in sarnia ontario/ port huron michigan area that is most active or is it my best bet to stick with repeaters
ve3jso

chippie

I live in Guelph, Ontario and for simplex you need to be quite close to hear 2m FM directly as you need to be very close. I just stick to the repeaters lol

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Simplex

The standard VHF frequency is 146.52 and UHF is 446.000. You will hear very little traffic in most areas, and some areas have additional frequencies. As mentioned, repeaters will give you the best chance of hearing ham traffic.

KC0KM

The standard VHF frequency is 146.52 and UHF is 446.000. You will hear very little traffic in most areas, and some areas have additional frequencies. As mentioned, repeaters will give you the best chance of hearing ham traffic.

Just a note about 146.52 and 446.00. These are Calling Frequencies, and from what I understand are not for idle "chit chat" or a "ragchew". Roughly 146.500 to .55 are simplex (cannot remember off the top of my head). I have never heard anyone on .52 when I have called. However, not long ago I was on my local RPTR, and the guy was close by, so I told him let's go simplex, and we moved to 146.50, and talked for a few minutes. It was clearer than going through the RPTR. Get this though -- he did not ever know he could do that.

VE3JSO

can anyone from the GTA tell me what is the closest repeaters for 2m and 70cm near the residence inn by marriott on wellington street west downtown toronto

VE3JSO

yea that site does not help it does not tell me the exact location in the city of the repeaters or the range i don't really know the area i see there is one at the cn tower that has irlp but what other repeaters can i get the downtown area in case some one is using tower repeaters

mrweather

yea that site does not help it does not tell me the exact location in the city of the repeaters or the range
And you won't generally get that kind of information from a repeater directory or even Industry Canada's on-line database.

There are also repeaters on First Canadian Place but I can't remember them right now. TWR is probably your best bet.

VE3JSO

YYZ was on First Canadian Place years ago.
There are also repeaters on First Canadian Place but I can't remember them right now. TWR is probably your best bet.

thanks mike and mr weather the first canadian place is that near the convention centre?

And you won't generally get that kind of information from a repeater directory or even Industry Canada's on-line database.

and yea i know that was why i wanted to ask the local hams in gta they know that area better then me :)

CloudWilliam

Some points...

This is meant as a general VHF/UHF primer particular to southern Ontario. I don't mean to insult any one person with obvious things you already know but others may not know. This is intended for anyone who is interested in or on the fence as to whether to jump into getting more involved in VHF/UHF ham radio. Whatever your knowledge level or lack there of.

VHF/UHF activity is sparse, especially if you live in a low population area away from big cities.

You need to do whatever you can to improve your range if you want to hear or work anybody.

Set up search ranges on your radios. This way you find everything. You can program in the entire 2m and 440 bandplans and search that way, but you won't find people or repeaters that deviate from the norm. There are simplex channels used all over both bands, especially 2 meters that you won't find without searching. There are repeaters where they aren't supposed to be, some even with backwards splits.

Get one of the longer whip antennas for your handheld. The universal favorite is the RH77 and it's derivatives. Make sure you get the one that fits your radio. Some of the Chi-com radios have bass-ackwards connectors and you'll need an adapter to fit it (or buy a reverse gender antenna that won't fit normal radios). With a high gain antenna your range is many times that of the standard rubber duck, almost like a mobile. I've worked big gun repeaters from 60 miles with a RH77 and a five watt handheld.

From your location in Sarnia, with a good base antenna you'll be able to hear lots of activity from Detroit. Plus you'll hear London and Chatham stuff and the southwest Ontario area in general.

Try to find some locals to make friends with. They'll tell you what kind of antennas they have and who they can talk to. Visit some if you can. Then you'll see what you can do with what kind of station. You may find out its not worth it and stick to what you got. Or you might figure out you can set up a decent station within your budget and dramatically improve your situation.

There are several so-called link repeaters in the London/Sarina area that take in 146.52 in Sarnia and London and repeat it out on other frequencies on 2 meters and 440. So you can get on these links with even a handheld and work out on 146.52 from a professional communication tower that hears on 52 for a 100 miles or so on a good day. These were set up by a guy that works in the communications industry and they are free for the local hams to use. If you are within range of these links you'll hear them by searching 2m meters and 440. You'll know what it is when you hear it.

The large Dual band handheld antennas and base and mobile antennas also make killer scanner antennas, way better than actual scanner antennas. So that is an added benefit of having good antennas. Once again you aren't in the big city. You can put up big antennas and hear over the whole region, or listen to Sarnia only stuff on a rubber duck.

Finding busy repeaters and simplex frequencies on your own is the way to go as opposed to programing in a bunch of graveyard repeaters listed on the directory. Unless of course you've been told what repeaters are busy in an area you go to.

There's usually a lot more people listening and waiting for someone to talk to than there are people talking. Meaning announcing yourself on 146.52 will get a response a lot more often then you think based on how dead it is. Calling CQ is ok on 52 but I still think just announcing yourself and a "hey is anyone around" works fine.

And once again big antennas help. I can usually get a response on 52 because I have 50-75-100 miles range depending on what kind of station the other guy has and the conditions. On a handheld duck antenna I'd never talk to jack from here in the sticks. Even for London at 20 miles I need a good antenna to get anyone not on a repeater. (I'm south of London near St. Thomas).

Traveling on the 401 you can sometimes find a fellow traveler on 146.52. I've done this many times and rode all the way to where I was going in QSO with someone a few miles ahead or behind me. Especially at rush hour there are a lot of hams on 146.52 and the better repeaters. Even though it would appear to be deadsville. Once again a better antenna helps.

At one time, "Back in the day" I could get on KSR (VE3KSR in Kitchener) from London on the 401 and talk to people on there all the way to the Toronto airport with my Diamond SG-7900 on my GT Mustang. I was in 2 meter heaven. This was until the antenna finally broke from being blown off the car cause it was two big for any magnet to hold. Also I think they changed the antenna on KSR a long time ago and it doesn't cover the west nearly as good as it did. Back in the 80s and 90s I could Ker-chunk KSR from a handheld here in St. Thomas and work it good from my mobile. That's a big gun Repeater.

It's nice to have at least one of the newer deluxe dual band (or tri-band or quad-band) handhelds from Icom/Kenwood/Yaesu. This way you got one hot shot radio that will have full sensitivity, features and many hundreds of memory channels so you can program everything in you want and not have to compromise. This way when you go someplace you'll have it all and be able to get in on what ever action there is and not miss out because your radio doesn't have enough memories and you didn't program in that area's repeaters or didn't have enough search ranges on your radio to find everything.

The big gun repeaters in Toronto have spectacular coverage. You'll get 10 miles or more handheld coverage (high-gain whip) and 25-50 miles mobile range from the better ones.

Go easy when getting on unknown repeaters. Never call CQ. On a quiet repeater just come on with your call or maybe say "hello, is anyone around this is VE3___". To enter an existing conversation just give your call during a gap in the conversation. Never say "CQ" or "break" or "station" to get in. Try to go with the flow as to how formal or casual things are.

The best way to weasel your way into a group is to just join into whatever the conversation is or better yet jump in with an answer or solution to whatever is being discussed. Or wait till things wind down and come in and pick up whoever is left. Being helpful but cautious is the best way to brown nose your way into a cautious group of strangers that are equally eager to boot your dumbass off their repeater if you are an idiot.

Most repeaters or groups want to be your friends but are also cautious to not welcome in somebody too quick. Especially in the big city where they have to walk the line between having a dead repeater or letting anyone come around and having the repeater taken over by outsiders or idiots.

Whats cool on one repeater may not be cool on others. For instance one repeater may be ran by a club or group that wants to use the repeater amongst themselves. Outsiders may be welcome to join in on their conversations but that's it. They don't want you setting up shop there. Another repeater may be ran independently by an individual or several friends and they want you to come around, bring your friends and keep the repeater busy and successful.

To sum it up...

There's lots of activity on 2 meters and 440 on a regional basis. You just need to find it and be able to work it. It's not like HF, it is entirely different. But definitely worth looking into. But you can't just go buy a radio and a small antenna or hundred feet of wire and work the world. I'm an HF guy 100 percent but I've made friends all over the surrounding states and had lots of fun on VHF/UHF. And most of the time with less than 100 watts and a Diamond repeater antenna at 50 feet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.