DSD+ 1.060 Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSDPlus

DSD+ 1.060 is almost ready for release. It contains many upgrades, but trunk voice following will not be included. A download location will be posted soon.

Additional news:

To support the developers, we would like to implement a system where users who are willing to contribute financially will have advanced access to DSD+ releases. We propose that US$10 would be good for one year of advance releases, or US$25 for no time limit (no expiry). Advance releases would be every 7 to 30 days, probably most often every 14 days. These would be alpha or beta releases, so could have a few bugs. Stable versions would continue to be released publicly for non-contributors, but would appear 60 days or more after the early releases.

<flame suit donned>

altonj

Additional news:

To support the developers, we would like to implement a system where users who are willing to contribute financially will have advanced access to DSD+ releases. We propose that US$10 would be good for one year of advance releases, or US$25 for no time limit (no expiry). Advance releases would be every 7 to 30 days, probably most often every 14 days. These would be alpha or beta releases, so could have a few bugs. Stable versions would continue to be released publicly for non-contributors, but would appear 60 days or more after the early releases.

<flame suit donned>

Seems reasonable.

n3ouc

Premium Subscriber
No flame suit needed from this direction. I believe that what is being asked is more than fair for all the hard work put into this program. The enjoyment I get out of the DSD+ program is very well worth it to me.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Sign me up! I've been running DSD+ on a local MotoTrbo trunk and it's been great helping to figure out who is one what TG. My town's DPW went to a single channel MotoTrbo system last year and I use DSD+ to listen to them to.

It would be well worth it to me.

jcardani

Premium Subscriber
DSDPlus,

I also think the donation model is reasonable for advanced releases.

I know you said that trunk following is not going to make the next release but do you envision it shortly after, especially after the new model takes effect?

Another possible idea would be to implement a tiered donation approach where premium paying users would get more features, such as those that are in a certain release that is not distributed publicly ;)

Other improvements I believe are needed:

- Correct handling of P25 LSM simulcast systems. Instead of using limiter/discriminator audio as input, use the I/Q from the low IF of a receiver or directly from SDR. Then feed to a pi/4 DQPSK demodulator in DSDPlus. In fact the program should use the SDR's I/Q for all modes. It would eliminate the virtual audio cable.

- Add trunk decoding/tracking for P25 Phase I and II as well as legacy EDACS and Motorola flavors. I can provide info for LTR and Passport since I wrote programs to decode and trunk track those.

- Add Tetra decoding and trunk following. A pi/4 DQPSK demodulator is needed here also. I can provide samples of a transportation system in NJ if needed.

kd7kdc

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I disagree. I think you will start loosing contributors if you go with the tier model.

joeuser

The Wretched
Indeed, if it was intended to be freeware & us to remain that way - a donation for early access would be considerate. Otherwise, just charge out right for it

jcardani

Premium Subscriber
It was just an idea I had and anyway it would be DSDPlus and the developers decision.

I don't see a difference with this model and Radio Reference model where Radio Reference was free at first and then the premium pay service was added later for members to access more features not available to the free users. Same goes with Broadcastify.

In fact lots of software follow that same model.

joeuser

The Wretched
It was just an idea I had and anyway it would be DSDPlus and the developers decision.

I don't see a difference with this model and Radio Reference model where Radio Reference was free at first and then the premium pay service was added later for members to access more features not available to the free users. Same goes with Broadcastify.

In fact lots of software follow that same model.
Good point! I just wouldn't want to lose anything it already has.

Boatanchor

Sounds like a good idea, although unlikely to generate a huge income stream for the developers due to the relatively small number of DSD+ users (compared to traditional scanner users) and the smaller number of users that will actually subscribe.

But, if my $10 helps in some small way, sign me up..

How do you propose to take the 'donations'? Paypal?

Don't know if this is worth considering though:

A certain DV codec company, who shall remain nameless, may take more interest in the DSD+ software developers, once $'s are involved. Due warning..

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Count me in just to donate. This is a fantastic program and I love it. Supporting it is certainly worth while even if it gets you nothing IMO. Not that I'd turn down things either but supporting it is important to encourage development as I see it.

Plus its a great thank you to those working so hard on this.

Paypal?

How, where and who?

woodpecker

That's what I was thinking. May be a double-edged sword.

I was keeping quiet on this thinking the same, no matter which way you twist what the payment is for you would be SELLING compiled software which infringes a number of DVSI patents. You would start taking it out of the hobby arena into the commercial arena, you'll need more than a flame suit if the lawyers come knocking.

Whilst I appreciate how good DSD+ is, it is also unethical you took GPL code and didn't release the source.

I guess this is the greedy world we live in, steal other peoples work then try to profit from it!

Boatanchor

Not much to gain, but maybe plenty to loose!

If there were any question over possible 'infringement/s', I would of thought that there would not be much to gain and potentially plenty to loose by going down this route. But, I am not a lawyer, so what would I know..

IMHO, the authors of DSD and DSP+ should probably stay anonymous, unless they are 100% confident that their software package does not infringe any copyrights and have the resources to back themselves, if push comes to shove.

Thoughts anyone?

D

DaveNF2G

Maybe the donations could be characterized as earmarked for the DSD+ IP Infringement Defense Fund. Then it would not be direct sale of the allegedly infringing software, and would alert corporate lawyers that maybe picking a fight might not be so easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.