• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

UV-5R vs. UV-82 vs. BF-F8T ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clovisb31

Hello all,

I know some various comparisons have been made on these radios. I'm trying to decide which one best fits my needs (basic HAM/GMRS/scanning?monitoring/pocket/throw away if it breaks/cheapo/ put in your pocket and "fugeddaboudit" radio).

Which is the most current radio?

Chirp Vs. Baofeng software?

Feel free to comment, tell your experience on ease of use (or lack of).

Thanks !!

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
None of the above, since they're built like tissue paper... :(

n9zas

nd5y

The ease of use is the same on all of them. They all have basically the same menu and software functions. The UV-82 has two PTT switches. You may or may not like that.

Chirp is good. I have never tried the factory software.

You can't legally use any of them on GRMS, FRS or MURS.

They make poor scanners because the scan and VFO search speed is only 3 channels per second and you can't lock out and unlock channels via the keypad.

They have poor receivers. They are ok when receiving strong nearby stuff but no good for weak distant stuff if you are in a high RF environment. When tuned into a weak noisy signal, touching your hand to the antenna kills the receiver. I can't determine what causes that but it may be due to nearby FM or TV stations. It is probably related to Issue #1 in http://kc9hi.dyndns.org/uv5r/programming/UV-5R_tech_discussion_fixes.pdf. Using a better antenna makes it worse.

I have a 2 year old UV-5R and bought a UV-82 a couple months ago because supposedly it has an upgraded PCB and chipset. It has the same piss poor receiver as the UV-5R.

The only good thing that is different about the UV-82 is the larger speaker has much better and louder audio than the UV-5R and the squelch settings on UHF appear to work instead of 1-9 being the same fixed level as on the UV-5R. Squelch on VHF is the same both bands on the UV-5R (one non-adjustable level).

Last edited:

jk77

I have a UV-82 and a BF-F8HP. Of the two, I prefer the UV-82 because of the fit and feel. They program virtually the same.

There really isn't a receiver problem unless you live in a high RF area which I do not so they are perfect receivers for me and are very sensitive (probably too sensitive for high RF environments). The only problem is the receivers are wide open and will get swamped in a high RF environment.

I like my Baofengs. They serve me well.

jk77

Also, I wanted to say that they are NOT built like tissue paper. I can't understand that comment. They are not as rugged as the more expensive radios and certainly not as rugged as commercial-grade radios, but they are more rugged than you might think. I've dropped mine a few times without damage.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Also, I wanted to say that they are NOT built like tissue paper. I can't understand that comment. They are not as rugged as the more expensive radios and certainly not as rugged as commercial-grade radios, but they are more rugged than you might think. I've dropped mine a few times without damage.

Without a milspec rating they're little more than toys with thin (tissue) plastic cases.
compared to industry grade equipment ... they don't hold up well.

n9zas

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
My 10 year old has a UV-5R II and my 7 year old son (who due to autism has little sense of the term "gentle" ) has a UV-5R and neither has managed to break their radios. They use them for MURS (yea yea, not FCC approved) to talk to each other and they use them to listen to the local PD/FD/EMS (and FDNY/NYPD down in the city) . I expected them to be destroyed fairly quickly, but they are dinged up and still function perfectly.

So they certainly are not tissue paper.

chekoz77

Premium Subscriber
I own two UV-82's. Awesome radio for the price. I use them all the time for work and home. Havent had a problem yet.

And I wouldnt say built like tissue paper. Are they solid bricks like the more expensive radios...no. But are they worth 35 bucks? Most definitely.

And I use chirp for programming. I could never get the factory software to work.

teufler

I use both the factory software and chirp. Which ever icon I see, gets the first "click".I really have not seen or experienced any more receiver difficulties than I have experienced with my yaesu vx-7. True scanning i slow, as comparewd to a scanner but you can monitor jtst as good as a scanner monitors. I miss not b e able to set up groups or banks, like my kenwood that scans the whole radio or 20 channel increments. Durability, never dropped a Baofeng as I have neck lanyards and hang the radios around my neck rather than carry in a pocket. I have a GT-3, though there is a GT-5 that just came out. Its got a larger capacity battery, something that I have not seen on most of the normal high priced ham hts.

Status
Not open for further replies.