ok, i took the big step.....................now what??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmi8dy

i have always programmed all my scanners by "hand", including my bcd396 xt and the 996xt. i bought the cable , down loaded the freescan program . got as far as getting the usb port correct. i have brought up videos on how to program, but there is where i get lost. none of the videos or text do a good job giving step by step, click by click on what to click, when to click nor explain what each clickable item is or what it does. plus alot is abbreviated and i cant figure out what it stands for. what i need is to find a instruction site that goes from the very start and goes all the way thru to the end.. any body know of of one, online and or printable.im 71 years old and so never had computers in school. i do use them for banking, buying, email, and for info but never had any schooling of them,

what somebody needs to do is write a book called freescan for dummies................

joeuser

The Wretched
i have always programmed all my scanners by "hand", including my bcd396 xt and the 996xt. i bought the cable , down loaded the freescan program . got as far as getting the usb port correct. i have brought up videos on how to program, but there is where i get lost. none of the videos or text do a good job giving step by step, click by click on what to click, when to click nor explain what each clickable item is or what it does. plus alot is abbreviated and i cant figure out what it stands for. what i need is to find a instruction site that goes from the very start and goes all the way thru to the end.. any body know of of one, online and or printable.im 71 years old and so never had computers in school. i do use them for banking, buying, email, and for info but never had any schooling of them,

what somebody needs to do is write a book called freescan for dummies................

I suppose it would be difficult for a guy in your situation. I was able to figure it out but I do have more experience than you it seems (in this regard). I might suggest, if you want, that you see if someone has a file for your area that they could send you OR grab another unit from a friend that is already setup - plug that radio in, download their setup & then plug yours in and upload it. This way you can just skip the learning part.
HTH

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

Check the users guide here:

FreeScan User Guide - The RadioReference Wiki

mdulrich

Feed Provider
If you already have your scanners programmed by hand, simply download their programming into Freescan and save that programming to a file. Then you could can study your programming and how it looks in Freescan. I think once you see your what you programming looks in Freescan it will clear up much of your confusion. Keep that downloaded file and don't overwrite it and if you do mess up something while you learn, you can always upload that original programming back into your scanner.

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
No matter what software you use, I believe you need to have a basic understanding of how DMA works, what some of these crazy terms mean, and how they interact.

We have an article in our wiki that supplies links to just about everything you need to understand to get started ...

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

At the bottom of this article are all the links to the Easier to Read manuals. If you already have a good understanding of how trunking works - this is a concept that trips up many - that's where I would start, since you have a very large statewide trunk. There are also several links related to DMA stuff that it might be good to have handy.

I would bookmark this page - you'll likely be coming back to this again.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.