New Columbus Cruiser Graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Drove by the 8 PCT SUB this morning and spotted this new cruiser. Could CPD finally be changing their outdated red and blue striped cruiser, it sure appears so.

2015_New_CPD_Cruiser.jpg

Swipesy

That Columbus cruiser makes me wonder how the various police departments can cost justify these fuel inefficent Ford Explorers to be running around the streets. I see many departments up here in Northern Ohio with them also.

an39511

That Columbus cruiser makes me wonder how the various police departments can cost justify these fuel inefficent Ford Explorers to be running around the streets. I see many departments up here in Northern Ohio with them also.

Because they pay zero in taxes which make gasoline very inexpensive

gtaman

They just changed the graphic before that. A lot of the explorers have the City of Columbus paint job like a lot of the public works vehicles have. I'm surprised I haven't seen this before

mharris

Premium Subscriber
SInce most cruisers average 60-70% of their time idling - none are efficient. When moving all are within a few points of one another.

The new Columbus PD vehicles, including the new Explorers, are equipped with a similar system to this:

Police Cruiser Idling System Saves $3K Per Vehicle · Environmental Management & Sustainable Development News · Environmental Leader

The reason for this decision was to save fuel and have an answer for those who might see the SUV's as fuel inefficient.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
They just changed the graphic before that. A lot of the explorers have the City of Columbus paint job like a lot of the public works vehicles have. I'm surprised I haven't seen this before

That's why I was really surprised to see this one. It is brand new, a freeway patrol unit. First one I have seen as well, and I drive past there twice a day.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012

This post was addressing the new graphics. Columbus has been using both the Ford Interceptor sedans and the Utility Interceptors for over a year. The Ohio State Patrol is now ordering the Utility Interceptor over the Dodge Chargers. The Sheriff's Office here along with many of the local departments have also switched to them.

All the current police package vehicles from Ford, Chevrolet, and Dodge get fairly equal mileage within a mile or two.

Last edited:

gtaman

That's why I was really surprised to see this one. It is brand new, a freeway patrol unit. First one I have seen as well, and I drive past there twice a day.

I hope that is like a "BETA" paint job. Because I will really miss that old red white and blue on the cars. It had been there since the late 80s

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Drove by the 8 PCT SUB this morning and spotted this new cruiser. Could CPD finally be changing their outdated red and blue striped cruiser, it sure appears so.

2015_New_CPD_Cruiser.jpg

I guess a snowball just survived hell. Last I heard they were passionately in love with the old graphics.

However, the city administration has been pushing this ColumbUS stuff, so I wouldn't be surprised to see that logo on a police cruiser.

EDIT: Just saw the earlier post with a photo of said logo on a cruiser. Guess the city administration got their way.

gtaman

I guess a snowball just survived hell. Last I heard they were passionately in love with the old graphics.

However, the city administration has been pushing this ColumbUS stuff, so I wouldn't be surprised to see that logo on a police cruiser.

EDIT: Just saw the earlier post with a photo of said logo on a cruiser. Guess the city administration got their way.

I wonder if that means Asheville PD will change thier cruisers too. Every time I go to Asheville I am like what the hell is Columbus doing here and then forgetting Asheville has nearly the same livery as Columbus.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I wonder if that means Asheville PD will change thier cruisers too. Every time I go to Asheville I am like what the hell is Columbus doing here and then forgetting Asheville has nearly the same livery as Columbus.

I bet Asheville's chief is/was at one time a retired/former Columbus officer.

Cincinnati had new chief from LA that switched their long time white shirts to LA blue. And he didn't last long, but the change cost them a fortune.

Last edited:

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
They started using the ColumbUS logo on the new Taurus last year. The new "POLICE" logos are brand new.

I think the new chief either wanted more visibility and/or style, especially since she posed with one in the video, or just thought the US logo would confuse the PD vehicles with other city divisions.

Either way I like the new high visibility POLICE logo.

Last edited:

tk000

Feed Provider
Feed Provider
Why use excess budget money for something worthwhile when you can use it to redesign cruiser graphics [again]... :roll:

phask

Premium Subscriber
Typical government spending. Look at all the money the Ohio sheriffs departments spend on vehicle graphics by changing the sheriff's name on every vehicle whenever a new sheriff takes office.

Or all the state signs under a new governor, and every department under. Just state parks are a ton.

They need a chalkboard.

Intellifax

Less than $8 a vehicle on those Sheriff names. Its just a banner overlay on the top of the door star.

Status
Not open for further replies.