Samsung VS Vizio (Smart TV wars)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny37

Looking to buy my nephews a TV set for Christmas to plug in their new Nintendo wii U their mom got them for Christmas. What do you recommend for smart tvs? I'm looking for small about 24" for their bedroom. Also they'll be using utube, Netflix and Hulu plus for viewing.

I'm eyeing these two.

LED H4500 Series Smart TV - 24” Class (23.6” Diag.)

VIZIO E-Series 24” Class Razor LED™ Smart TV
VIZIO E-Series 24

Your thoughts?

joeuser

The Wretched
Looking to buy my nephews a TV set for Christmas to plug in their new Nintendo wii U their mom got them for Christmas. What do you recommend for smart tvs? I'm looking for small about 24" for their bedroom. Also they'll be using utube, Netflix and Hulu plus for viewing.

I'm eyeing these two.

VIZIO E-Series 24

Your thoughts?
Is a "Smart TV" needed with the Wii U? The Wii U would be the SMART part of any TV. I like LG myself. Vizio is O.K. could do better & worse. I'm skeptical of Samsung after the capacitor fiasco. Got a Sony for the family few years ago, Bravia - very nice. Got myself a Toshiba when lightning took out my old set this summer. Got the son a LG for Xmas...
HTH.

apd3190

Id go with the Vizio myself, Thats what I did. I had two samsungs and they both had the same issues. After a few years they wouldn't turn on.

KQ4BX

Premium Subscriber
I keep all of my electronics, especially my big screen TV's, on UPS surge protected power. I live in Florida and that is a must, but I would do it in any state. I have not had a TV fail me in over 15 or even 20 years. I give them away when they get older and I want something new. A TV today, is more like a computer than ever before.Everything has gone digital. Protect it or lose it. The manufacturers would do that for you, but they would have to charge too much for the set, so they leave it up to you. They use the bare minimum of protection, if your are lucky they put a few MOV's on the power supply.

chekoz77

After being an ex Samsung tech(not working directly for Samsung) and owning a couple of their TV's I would look at other brands. Unless you dont mind replacing parts every year or two.

PACNWDude

I have owned several Samsung LCD TV's that have held up very well for the past 5 years. On the other hand my work bought dozens of Vizio's that had pixelation problems and black patches on their screens after only one year of use.
The only TV's I have had fail me were both Philips LCD's that had capacitor problems like some people have had with Samsung's.
My work around with the Philips ones is to use a power strip to shut them off, no standby mode, then they power on fine after a minute or two after cooling off their power supplies.
All seem to have problems at all price points, I have yet to find an electronic product that lasts as long as the older non surface mount equipment of yesteryear.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

I'm eyeing these two.

VIZIO E-Series 24

Your thoughts?

I have to suggest the 24" Vizio Model: E241i-A1

It's beyond a doubt the best little tv I've ever bought. It works great on wi-fi and the netflix and you tube apps are awsome!

There are several product reviews out there on the internet, if you care to read them. :cool:

n9zas

CapStar362

i own 3 vizio's now. a M420SV Razr LED 42"

a older 42" LCD Vizio, and i actually have a 1st gen LCD from Vizio that was my late father's 60th birthday gift. it runs 100% 8 years later.

samsung is a good product, has some issues. whoever said LG, GAH!! stay away from LG

LG smart TV snooping extends to home networks, second blogger says | Ars Technica

and

LG Smart TVs Found Snooping on Home Networks

and to get this update to disable that above stuff.........

TV has to be on the net, no manual update by USB

cmdrwill

Thanks for the information in this thread. This info is very helpful as my Element 32" went out a few items at a time. First lost the Guide function, then no receive of any channel, a couple of months ago. Went to HDMI and used the DVR as a tuner. Finally the picture went out but still had surround sound.....

Santa, please bring me a 32 or 36" VIzio.

N4OZC

I bought a Vizio, 32" from Cos***, it lasted about a year then failed, Cos*** return policy/warranty allowed me to send it back for repair. It was not repairable??, so they sent an upgraded model which had been refurbished by them. It lasted a day. Sent it back and they sent me a brand new 1080 p that has lasted about 4 years now and going strong. Bought a 24" Vizio for the computer room, 2 years and strong.

rapidcharger

Look no farther than the samsung 6350 series smartvs.
Some tvs are called smart tvs but they do not have networking or dlna support.
If you really want to have the full functionality of a smart tv such as being able to take the programming with you on your phone anywhere on the network, to fully control the tv from anywhere on the network, beam stuff to and from the tv, that's a difference between a real smart tv and a wannabe smart tv

Status
Not open for further replies.