unable to receive transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

flukedup

I am a new user so I'm not sure what to do. I work at a warehouse complex moving trailers around. the warehouse uses a ICOM hand held radio to communicate with me. My truck has a Motorola 2 way radio installed in it. when I am out of the truck I need to be able to hear them. the cost of a ICOM handheld radio is very expensive. so I purchased a BAOFENG UV-5R radio. I used my radio shack desktop scanner to find the frequency of the channel that is transmitting on the ICOM radio,and programmed it into the UV-5R. I can receive from the ICOM radio and the UV-5R on the radio shack scanner using the same frequency. but can't receive the ICOM transmission on the UV-5R radio. there are lots of settings on the UV-5R, and me being a beginner I'm not sure what to do. any help will be appreciated.

n4yek

Sounds like you have a tone squelch programmed into your UV-5R that is incorrect. You need to have the same pl tone or DCS the ICOM is transmitting (if it is transmitting one) in order for the squelch to open. If the ICOM is not transmitting a tone, then remove the tone from the UV-5R and you should hear the audio.

Last edited:

flukedup

the frequency that showed up up on my scanner was 462.225 when I set the scanner for just that frequency I can receive transmissions from the ICOM and the UV5R. I tried using all the PL codes and no PL code on the UV5R but can not receive transmission from the ICOM by the UV5R. how would I find out what and if there was a PL code being used by the ICOM. I take my hat off to you gentlemen this radio stuff is far more technical then I thought.

flukedup

I tried programing all the PL tones and trying them one at a time, then tried it without a PL tone. and no luck. is there a way for me to find out what and if there is a PL tone for the ICOM?

n4yek

.....then tried it without a PL tone. and no luck....

If you aren't hearing audio on the UV-5R without tones programmed into it, then I have no clue why you are not hearing audio. Sorry. :(
Can you hear anything from anyone such as NOAA WX on the UV-5R?

flukedup

Yes I am able to receive audio from the police and fire frequencies that I programed in. I am even able to pick up another company on the same frequency when I am home. another member mentioned it could be a DPL or DCS code is there a way for me to determine this? thanks for all your help.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Maybe?
1--If your radio has a coded squelch search mode or
2--If you have a scanner that has a coded squelch search mode or
3--Ask the people who programmed the the radio what it is using or
4--Read the programming in the radio and see what is programmed.

There is no central data base for coded squelch tones/codes. They are usually chosen locally by the people programming the radios.
BB

ChetsJug

I have a couple channels that will not pickup on my beafeng. On those channels I have the little +- on top of the freq. I can't get rid of it! Try this... program the channel again with the CTCSS tone and designate another channel. Then you leave behind any misprogrammed crap that got into the other channel.

Here's another route. I know you have invested in that UV-5. But I picked up on ebay, a one channel Radio Shack HT with pre-programmed business band channels and tones. All you have to do is flip the little on/off switches inside like a garage door opener. Instructions are all over the net. Radio Shack has a support page for it's radios, old and new. There are one and 2 channel HT's for $35 up. The reason I recommend this route is because then you wont accidentally program in the other junk on the UV-5. It's not business band, it's HAM. Too many bells and whistles lol.

If you do this, then you will have 2 HT's you can take hiking or travel with n 2 cars going somewhere that can talk to each other :)

cpfinlay

Feed Provider
Perhaps a picture of the screen on the BAOFENG would help if someone else on here has one (I don't). Maybe they can spot something on the display that would provide a clue.

Where are you located? What State, County, City and zip code. We could search the FCC database and perhaps determine more information about your system. The business name would also be beneficial.

flukedup

I am in Avenel, New Jersey. Middlesex county 07001. the name of the business is doctor pepper snapple group. or it could be Mack warehouse. once again thanks for all the help.

DickH

Yes I am able to receive audio from the police and fire frequencies that I programed in. I am even able to pick up another company on the same frequency when I am home. another member mentioned it could be a DPL or DCS code is there a way for me to determine this? thanks for all your help.

The tones or codes are so you will NOT hear another station on the same freq. With no tones you will hear everyone who is using that freq. Use NO TONES until you get everything working, then you may want tones.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Looks like at least one repeater on site…I restate my previous statement.

Which frequency did your scanner come up with for the channel you should use?

Last edited:

ecps92

I'm thinking the Scanner grabbed the wrong Freq

For the OP is this the Company name ?
INTERNATIONAL FLAVORS & FRAGRANCE (likely Not)

ULS License - Industrial/Business Pool, Conventional License - WNSX201 - INTERNATIONAL FLAVORS & FRAGRANCES - Frequencies Summary

As that is the only 462.2250 licensee for Middlesex County

Try these Frequencies
http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/licenseFreqSum.jsp?licKey=3494692

As I mentioned two hours ago, he does not NEED the tones to listen, only to transmit..

Status
Not open for further replies.