Ohio MARCS-IP programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

HWG

I have a RS 20-197 (uP App Ver: RU2.1; DSP AppVer: RF1.4; DSP VocVer: RF1.0) and a trial of ARC500 software.

For Muskingum County, there are 4 sites listed (Bloomfield, Dresden, Duncan Falls, and Zanesville South). Do I program each location as a different TSYS with just the frequencies listed for the location (giving me 4 Trunk Systems) or do I just make 1 TSYS and input all the frequencies for the 4 locations under it (giving me 1 Trunk System)?

Swipesy

You could do it either way.. If you set them up as individual Systems then you have to repeat the TalkGroups for each system. If you do it as one System then you only have to put the TG's in once. If you keep the 197 as a stationary unit you could pick the location closes to you. However, try it both ways and see which you like best.

HWG

Swipesy, thank you so much for the quick response and the nice answer. I noticed when I put them in as each location when I went over to the TGRP I had to assign a Trunk System to each talkgroup so that's what prompted my question which you also answered as I would need to repeat them for each location.

The 20-197 will be in the house so it won't be moving about. So, I just need to program the site location that is closest to me and I will hear all traffic even if where the traffic is originating from is closer to another location? Is all traffic repeated on all locations?

phask

Premium Subscriber
I usually just have S ztown - sometimes Dresden. Can't hear Bloomfield that well and rarely use Philo.

You will have some traffic on one that is not on the others but generally - if you have SZ they way others associate , you hear all.

On my scanners - each site takes about 3-4 seconds so I scan least possible. With the HP1&2 you can put all TG's in a list along with an unlimited amount off sites. Or separately if you want.

Swipesy

One of the nice things about the 197 is that it will automatically lock on the site with the strongest signal. As long as a radio is associated with a "System" you will hear the radio throughout the system. So I would program all 3 Systems as 1 system and let the 197 sort out which signal it will hear. That way you are pretty much assured of hearing most all.

HWG

So, I could make 1 TSYS P25 Auto System (called Muskingum County) and just put all the frequencies in for all 4 location sites in the County. When I go to input the frequencies for this system, does it matter how or in what order they are put in the list?

Swipesy

Nope doesn't matter. Only input Control and Alternate Channels though. The scanner is quick and will go through those few frequencies in a hurry. Yes, 1 TSYS P25 Auto

phask

Premium Subscriber
Never used one- will it ever stop on the weaker sites? I see the advantages if mobile, but fixed - does it hit them all?

SCPD

QRT
You don't need to program them in unless the site changes its control channel to one of them. The control channel tells what frequency to go to to hear the voice transmissions whether they are programmed in or not.

Swipesy

Never used one- will it ever stop on the weaker sites? I see the advantages if mobile, but fixed - does it hit them all?

Yes it will stop on the weaker sites if for instance a radio that is tied only to a weaker site is active and the stronger signal site is not broadcasting. The radio listens to all control and alternate channels on its pass through the programmed frequencies.

HWG

Do I need to do anything after entering this TSYS system with these frequencies for each site for rebanding purposes? I have read about using custom Trunking Tables. In the documentation for ARC500 it says to double click Edit TTables, click load Reband Table, and select Yes to set T-Table to custom.

HWG

So since it came up, which of the 3 are the best software programs for programming the 197? I plan to look at the trials for each of them.

Swipesy

All 3 programs are good. As you stated, try them all and pick the one you like. I purchased both WIN500 and PSREdit500 and use them both. They each have some unique features and so I use them both, depending on what I am doing. Many like ARC500 but I don't care for it. I find the other two programs are more intuitive.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I don't use ARC500 but use WIN500 and Psredit500. I would click on the Reband Table just to be sure.

Rebanding settings are not needed for P25 systems; I'd avoid fussing around with the trunking tables unless you know for sure what your scanner will do with them in conjunction with a P25 system.

Status
Not open for further replies.