Pro 651 reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranger821

Premium Subscriber
I am looking for reviews for the Pro 651 digital scanner from folks that have it and use it. After searching a lot, there seems to be a few reviews around but not a lot. Thinking of buying this one.

R

retiredmich

Pro 651 is basically the same as the Pro 106, both scanners are a good scanner, I have a pro 106 & had it for 4yrs now & really like it.

ranger821

Premium Subscriber
My friend Wise781 said the same thing as you. He likes the 106 and got it on sale recently. I looked for one for a few days but could only come up with one in the southeast US from radio shack and it was a return and was defective. Afraid of buying refurb's as I have been burned a few times. Want a new in the box one. Radio Shack has the 651 for 299, i believe. was 399. Watching the prices.

R

retiredmich

Have you went on EBAY ? I have bought a 2nd RS 106 on EBAY & was a good radio & got it at a good price.

ranger821

Premium Subscriber
Most of the ones (106 and the 651's) I find there are refurb's or one that someone has messed with. I check everyday. I have a 197 that I really like but it's a pain to use mobile. My 2 meter/440 rig has most of the local frequencies in it.

RDGDigital

I have the PRO-106, an earlier version of the PRO-651 and it's a very good scanner.

The PRO-651 is a re-badged version of the Whistler WS1040. I like to remind people that these two are basically the same scanner but Radio Shack doesn't include some of the accessories that Whistler does include. For example, the Whistler model included both the programming cable (that Radio Shack charges about $35 for) and a wall power adapter (again that Radio Shack charges extra for). Still at $299 the PRO-651 is still a pretty good price, just remember to include in your pricing comparison that the additional accessories are not included.

Also, when Whistler publishes firmware updates they are released immediately for the Whistler models but have to wait for Radio Shack to approve them before they are available for the Radio Shack models. Historically, this has always been a minimum of six months or more.

And... for the next 3 hours or so you can save an additional $25 on on-line purchases of $75+ by using the code SAVE25. This code is only available today (12/14/2014). You enter the code once the items is in your cart.

Last edited:

joebobe

I recently bought a Pro 651 and am very pleased with it so far. After fretting over the Phase I vs Phase II issue, I finally called some one local and was told we would not be going to Phase II, period. With that info in hand, I began researching Phase I scanners. Here's what I found.
Pro 106 was made by Grecom for Radio Shack.
Pro 651 was made by Whistler for Radio Shack, replaces Pro 106.
PSR 500 was made by Grecom for their scanner line.
WS 1040 was made by Whistler for their scanner line, replaces PSR 500.
All these scanners are essentially the same. The 651 may have updated hardware, but not sure.
Marketing wise, PSR 500s are getting rare online, as are 106s. 1040s are a current product and are quite pricey. However, the 651 seems to be under the radar and many new in box examples are available on eBay. I bought one of these, for around $200. It is not a refurb.
What can I say for a review? The scanner is fairly easy to program through the keypad for a basic trunking scanlist. The menu system saves a lot of time when tuning up the details of talk groups and how they are handled. The included antenna is crap, and I am getting better reception using a dual band ham antenna for 2 meter/440. Depending on where in my house I listen, it varies from occasional dropped traffic, to perfect reception. Audio quality is good. It works with all the power accessories I have for my older Shack scanners, including outboard battery pack, 9 volt AC adaptor, 4 AAs, and has the black and yellow battery holders. No cable was included, but Radio Shack has an eBay store with prices about $5 lower than online. Cable is $24 online. Cables from older Shack scanners are not compatible, as these cables use full duplex to the scanner, and allow computer control of the scanner while scanning. Also, Shack sells a 800mhz antenna for scanners, $20 eBay with free ship, that is very well reviewed by Eham members and I have one on order, again $5 less than Shacks website or stores. For AC adaptor, search eBay for Nikon EH52 AC Adapter. These work fine, and can be had 2 each for $10 with free ship.

If this scanner lasts as long as previous Gre/Shack scanners, I'll be well pleased, as my Pro95 is now 20 years old and still going. Based on my brief experience with this unit, I highly recommend it.

Joe

ranger821

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys. Will keep looking. I have a transfer cable that should work. It has worked on all my other RS and uniden scanners. If not, that is not a deal breaker. As for the power adapter, i have a bin full of them from other devices that i am sure one will work. I have quite a few dual band 2 meter /440 antennas that I can change out the supplied one fairly easy. Will also be able to use my outside Diamond x-200 antenna at 25 feet while in the shack. Also while mobile and on trips, it would be nice to be able to listen to the frequencies that the 2 meter/440 does not cover. Depending on how the 651 performs, I may sell the Pro 197 at our local ham fest in March of next year. I love the 197, but looking to be more mobile oriented and being able to take it out in the yard with me when I am out there working i share my radio room with the BOSS and the digital frequencies that are masked at times, the sound irritates her. If Mama ain't happy, no one is as the saying goes.

ranger821

Premium Subscriber
Update. took the plunge this morning. Found a NEW 651 for 224 dollars at the radio shack in gulf breeze. The store is closing and they are discounting everything in the store 25% off. Got a deal on the programing cable as well. Now come the hair pulling reading the manual and programming. Would like to clone the frequencies in my 197 over to the 651. Looked at the 1/8 to 1/8 cable while i was there. I do notice that the programing cable does not have the 651 on the ones that it supports. May have a problem there. It's a 2000546 cable. Radio Shack brand.

ranger821

Premium Subscriber
Joe. It has both. the main cable is Stereo and the small adapter cable is mono. I should have got the cloning cable (1/8 to 1/8) cable while I was at RS today. 9 dollars minus 25% is a good price. thought I had one of those here at the house but no luck.

ranger821

Premium Subscriber
OK. Have been trying to find out what the exact requirements of the AC adapter. I have a bunch of these things. I have the white ones that are 9v 300ma, I know that it needs 9v but what ma.Some are 400 ma and others are 800ma. I have looked my eyeballs out and can't seem to find that info. Can someone help with that info. My Pro 197 uses a 600 ma.

Update.RTMS is in Play. 9VDC at 400 ma.

Last edited:

joebobe

Re: 800mhz antenna from Shack, don't bother, dual band ham works better.

Re: power adaptor, almost any adaptor with 400ma and 5v or more will work, considering a set of NiMh AAs only puts out 4.8v. The Nikon adaptors I recommended are 8.3v and work great. Glad to see you got your scanner going.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.