NORAD Santa tracking

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
What would you be expecting to hear, exactly?

It's online only. I think they may have a phone number, or at least they used to.

I don't have to be the one to break the news to you, do I? (Please, don't let me be the one….)

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator
Not to get OT, but you do know that Santa isn't....nevermind...

robman50

haha! Yes guys, I know it is just a thing for the kids and a job well done by the marketing teams. I was just wondering if they have some chatter of the pilots talking to some random guy pretending to be Santa.

robman50

There are some ham operators that talk to the kids via HF. In fact some guy from the area here is going to play the role of Santa and have a two-way communication with a group of kids.

Oh well... I tried to have some Christmas fun. ;)

Last edited:

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator
haha! Yes guys, I know it is just a thing for the kids and a job well done by the marketing teams. I was just wondering if they have some chatter of the pilots talking to some random guy pretending to be Santa.

Santa is 1.5 GHz using FHSS...sorry.:(

wtp

it gives me a laugh

1.5 Ghz fhss...nope

at the speed he has to travel doppler effect would be too great. so just like the other air services he would be on A.M.. and since most of the gear can go from D.C. to over 3 gigs he would have to be higher than that.
my first guess would be in the "X" band.

robman50

You know how for aviation radio the aircraft has to contact the tower of that zone they are in correct? Like if Santa would be in Toronto airspace, would he have to contact Toronto approach or Cleveland center if he is heading up to Ohio?

robman50

Just for curiosity, I emailed NORAD Canadian sector and NORAD Santa. I asked if the public can monitor the com activity or is that classified. I will let you all know when I get a response. It doesn't hurt to ask, right?

robman50

UPDATE: I got a reply back from NORAD

Here it is!

Good day, Rob,

First, thank you for your interest in NORAD, and in how we track Santa safely into North American airspace.

I hope you know that Santa is only one of the millions of objects and aircraft that NORAD tracks over North America every year.
As your can imagine, our communications channels, including our pilots' "squawks" with Santa are encrypted and classified. For that reason, you won't be able to listen in as the pilots interact with Santa.

You have a good idea, though. May be we can work toward declassifying the Santa "squawks" in future years. So, keep on tracking!

Merry Christmas.

Royal Canadian Air Force | L’Aviation Royale Canadienne

Last edited:

reconrider8

and what happens when santa cant move in time
santa-jet.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.