DFW Frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

In the South Denton County area have been picking up 408.8375 appears to be encrypted, though I am getting analog CW signal about every 30-40 minutes. Seem to be high traffic and it pretty strong signal. Any others in the area able to copy?

ecps92

P25 or Analog Encryption??

406-420 is the Government Band, odd, altho not un-heard of to get the CWID (anyone decode it?)

Also depending on your Scanner, it could be an image from 453/460 Mhz as well. It has fooled folks before.

In the South Denton County area have been picking up 408.8375 appears to be encrypted, though I am getting analog CW signal about every 30-40 minutes. Seem to be high traffic and it pretty strong signal. Any others in the area able to copy?

Stephen

I believe it may be analog, though I could be wrong but in the past when I have came across P25 encryption my scanner will show ENC and P25 and alternate those on the bottom. I figured I would see if anyone else in the area is picking this up. I also got the same type audio on another channel later on in the evening in about the 405.300 area I did not jot that one down, but it was also giving a analog CWID every 15-20 minutes.

n0nhj

In way too deep...
Feed Provider
Other thing to be aware of - FAA uses UHF for some data movement around airports. I forget exactly what they were, but it could be more generic data stuff rather than P25. I've never listened to any of those for any length of time, so not aware of CW ID use with those applications.

Chuck

ecps92

Generally the Gov't "A" Band ends at 406, however there have been some users found running LMR down to 400

Do you have a 2nd Scanner/Radio ?

Put your 2nd Scanner in Search (1 Mhz at a time) and see if you get the same traffic.
I am betting 453 or 460 Mhz for tagets, if an image.

I believe it may be analog, though I could be wrong but in the past when I have came across P25 encryption my scanner will show ENC and P25 and alternate those on the bottom. I figured I would see if anyone else in the area is picking this up. I also got the same type audio on another channel later on in the evening in about the 405.300 area I did not jot that one down, but it was also giving a analog CWID every 15-20 minutes.

ecps92

Good thought processing.

Yes the FAA and NWS have some UHF, altho the Airport stuff is (Non P25) Telemetry (never caught a CW ID) and the non telemetry are generally up/downlinks to the Remote TX Sites (Analog)

Other thing to be aware of - FAA uses UHF for some data movement around airports. I forget exactly what they were, but it could be more generic data stuff rather than P25. I've never listened to any of those for any length of time, so not aware of CW ID use with those applications.

Chuck

jslo

Not the same freq but CW at certain intervals.

I am monitering at Lake Whitney and have 159.270 (TPWD) in one of my scan banks and get the CW burst for 3-7 seconds aprox. I loaded the freq into my CR-1 which will decode morse and it would not decipher the transmission. I know it works because I decode morse on 40m often.

What is the CW thrown in to what is normally a analog voice com freq.?

Just curious,

Jslo
Central Texas

ecps92

Agencies are required to ID periodically.
Rather than have someone do it by voice they rely on the Morse Code, which also is usually sent w/o the CTCSS/DCS

I am monitering at Lake Whitney and have 159.270 (TPWD) in one of my scan banks and get the CW burst for 3-7 seconds aprox. I loaded the freq into my CR-1 which will decode morse and it would not decipher the transmission. I know it works because I decode morse on 40m often.

Just curious,

Jslo
Central Texas

nd5y

Just curious,

Jslo
Central Texas

CW decoders generally suck for decdoding short transmissions like repeater IDs because it usually takes several character for them to lock on and start decoding and by that time you missed most of the callsign.

What you probably heard was KJI440 which is the closest TPWD 159.27 repeater to Lake Whitney.

Status
Not open for further replies.