DMR vs P25 for Amateur Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ad8g

Feed Provider
I'm interested in both DMR and P25, and while I'm familiar with both systems on a very high level, I'd be interested to hear some of the pros and cons for each, in terms of operating a repeater for each.

Thanks!

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
I support two TRBO systems and I think its the ultimate way to go. Lots of flexibility especially with the cost of equipment compared to P25. Linking comes with the TRBO repeater where with P25 its possible to do but the cost of doing so is exponentially higher and not on the same scale as TRBO.

For me TRBO is great because you can link it and there are lots of users out there. If I had to pick one that would be it.
With all that said I would like to put up a VHF Quantar for local comms and for playing with my p25 gear.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I run a DMR repeater and I too think that it is the way to go with ham, due to you have two simultaneous talk-paths, vs a single one on P25. Sure, you could put two talk-paths on P25 in the same bandwidth as the two in TRBO, but then you'd need seperate duplexers, antennas, etc.

With DMR, you can have two talk-paths (talkgroups) on one repeater pair with one antenna. Better use of spectrum IMHO.

ecps92

Before deciding either one, you do need to see what is available in your Area first.

I'm interested in both DMR and P25, and while I'm familiar with both systems on a very high level, I'd be interested to hear some of the pros and cons for each, in terms of operating a repeater for each.

Thanks!

ButchGone

In my area, digital voice for amateur radio comes in different flavors: DSTAR, Fusion, DMR, P25. No one can talk to each other, which I think was the goal. So much for interoperability!
I do wonder if the Yaecomwood family of Japanese radios will follow Connect Systems (CS7000) and produce multi-personality radios.
BG..

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
DMR vs P25

DMR repeaters far outnumber P25 and a new radio for DMR (CS700) is far cheaper than even a used P25 EF Johnson or Motorola. DMR also uses the frequencies far more efficiently and has a world wide network. I have both types of radios, and my P25 radios are used on regular FM frequencies rather that for any P25 due to lack of repeaters.

N4KVE

While I prefer the audio of P25, DMR seems to do so much more for us hammies. However, the DMR radios seem to be light duty radios like ham radios are, while P25 radios are industructable & can take a real beating. I wish my XTS3000, or Astro Saber could be flashed to do DMR. The DMR radios were designed to be carried in hotels, & live an easy life, vs the XTS line which is much more durable. No frills XTS radios which do P25 are down to $100, or even less now, which is about half the price of a CS700. My friend just ordered 2 CS700's, & both were bad. He returned them, & was sent 2 more. Of those 2, 1 was good, but one was bad. I'm sure Gerry will make it right, but those radios aren't perfect. We're all still waiting for the new FW [which was supposed to be out in August] to allow the users to adjust mike gain like we can do on the Moto radios.

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
I think the DMR radios are a bit more rugged than you think they are. A friend dropped a CS700 about 90' off a tower. The radio still worked, but the display cracked. After a cheap display replacement, it's good to go.

Remember, many business/public works types beat on their radios as hard (or harder) than public safety.

Also, another vote for DMR, mostly due to ease of linking/infrastructure issues, but also on the bandwidth efficiency and price of subscriber units.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Remember, many business/public works types beat on their radios as hard (or harder) than public safety.
I saw a guy try to chock a railroad car with an old WABCO VHF handheld. The radio did not survive the ordeal. It was about the same size as the two-by-four he had in his other hand...that he intended to use for a chock before the lapse of memory set in.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
DMR quality

With the exception of the CS700 and a couple of Chinese radios, DMR radios by Hytera and Motorola (Mototrbo) are commercial duty radios used by many businesses, hospitals, and in some areas law enforcement. Their spectrum efficiency makes them a good choice for ham use, something P25 and D-Star do not offer. I have three Hytera radios, and the quality is as good as most of my Motorola units such as the HT 1250.

N4KVE

Ahhh,.....disagree. My DMR radio is an XPR7550.

Perhaps you meant to quote manufacturers instead of digital protocol.
No, I'm just thinking that if it came to a duel, the XTS3000 would take more abuse than a XPR radio. No scientific proof, just a gut feeling. Someone should do a comparison.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
... However, the DMR radios seem to be light duty radios like ham radios are, while P25 radios are industructable & can take a real beating... The DMR radios were designed to be carried in hotels, & live an easy life, vs the XTS line which is much more durable.

I dunno, I have used an XPR-6550 in an industrial setting... In a oil and gas plant. They are tougher than you think... My gut feeling is that the XPR-7550 are a more solidly built radio,but I have not had a chance to play with one.

Also the XPR-6550 & XPR-7550 were not made to live their lives in hotels and live an easy life, there is a reason they are IS rated... The SL series, sure, easy life...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

N4KVE

I dunno, I have used an XPR-6550 in an industrial setting... In a oil and gas plant. They are tougher than you think... My gut feeling is that the XPR-7550 are a more solidly built radio,but I have not had a chance to play with one.

Also the XPR-6550 & XPR-7550 were not made to live their lives in hotels and live an easy life, there is a reason they are IS rated... The SL series, sure, easy life...

I thought IS ratings meant they won't spark & start a fire in a chemical factory. Nothing to do with ruggedness.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I thought IS ratings meant they won't spark & start a fire in a chemical factory. Nothing to do with ruggedness.

Correct, but the reason they IS rate them is for use in hazardous locations... Gas/oil/chemical plants/mines/sawmills/fire departments where there is the potential for the radio to be used in a dangerous location. Generally the industrial users will be a lot harder on the radio than a cop/medic/fireman ever will be. Usually on a gas/oil plant site the radio gets tossed in a back pocket of FRCs and is banged around/sat on/dropped ect. Where a cop of fireman will have them in a case or in a pocket of bunker gear.

Unless the cop is using it constantly to subdue suspects. Tazers, and mace are usually better suited for that job... But I digress.

Look at the mil spec testing for 'toughness' of the XPR-6550/7550 and compare it to an XTS-3/5000 and/or an APX-7000

N4KVE

Unless the cop is using it constantly to subdue suspects.
Funny you say that. Years ago when the Motorola MX was king, a friend who worked at the Metro Dade radio shop would get radios with blood, hair, & skin wedged into the small space between the radio & the battery. Now that was a tough radio. LOL.

PACNWDude

XPR-6550's pretty tough.

In my last job I was responsible for some of the oil and gas industry switching to this radio after older Motorola products met their end of life, partially due to narrow-band requirements.

From the very beginning, engineers on ships were dropping these into oil/water separators and down several decks. The outer case on one cracked where the microphone connection is made, but even that one took many falls from several decks up for this to happen. Many others took as much abuse as any XTS radio we were using prior to XPR series use.

I would put their build quality side by side with the Motorola XTS series of handhelds. The only fragile Motorola radios I have ever used were FRS/GMRS and Jedi series handhelds.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
DMR's really taking off around here too. Currently, I own P25 gear (for 1 repeater so far) and use the one TRBO repeater with my work radio. The latter is far busier but I like both.

Agreed the XTS series are incredibly rugged (except for the 3000 displays that lose pixels) but the XPR6550s and 7550s aren't anything to sneeze at either.

Status
Not open for further replies.